Review: could Amoxicillin cause Heart palpitations?
Summary: Heart palpitations is found among people who take Amoxicillin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Digoxin, and have Atrial fibrillation/flutter.
We study 22,279 people who have side effects while taking Amoxicillin from FDA and social media. Among them, 355 have Heart palpitations. Find out below who they are, when they have Heart palpitations and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Amoxicillin and have Heart palpitations >>>
Amoxicillin has active ingredients of amoxicillin. It is often used in infection. (latest outcomes from 24,188 Amoxicillin users)
Heart palpitations (feelings or sensations that your heart is pounding or racing) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, depression, osteoporosis, high blood cholesterol, pain. (latest reports from 52,154 Heart palpitations patients)
On Mar, 25, 2015: 22,279 people reported to have side effects when taking Amoxicillin. Among them, 355 people (1.59%) have Heart Palpitations.
Time on Amoxicillin when people have Heart palpitations * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Heart palpitations||97.56%||2.44%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Heart palpitations when taking Amoxicillin * :
|Heart palpitations||66.93%||33.07% |
Age of people who have Heart palpitations when taking Amoxicillin * :
|Heart palpitations||0.00%||0.32%||3.82%||7.96%||12.10%||11.46%||23.89%||40.45% |
Severity of Heart palpitations when taking Amoxicillin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Heart palpitations||11.11%||88.89%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Heart palpitations ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Heart palpitations||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Atrial fibrillation (23 people, 6.48%)
- Osteoporosis (19 people, 5.35%)
- Depression (15 people, 4.23%)
- Pain (14 people, 3.94%)
- Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (11 people, 3.10%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Digoxin (123 people, 34.65%)
- Aspirin (99 people, 27.89%)
- Levaquin (77 people, 21.69%)
- Lisinopril (75 people, 21.13%)
- Prilosec (70 people, 19.72%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of amoxicillin and heart palpitations on
Do you have Heart Palpitations while taking Amoxicillin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Amoxicillin and have Heart Palpitations
- support group for people who take Amoxicillin
- support group for people who have Heart Palpitations
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Unisom for a 60-year old man with Initial Insomnia. The patient has Heart Palpitations (feelings or sensations that your heart is pounding or racing)
- A study of side effects of Amoxicillin for a 34-year old woman with Tonsillitis. The patient has Flank Pain (a distressing sensation experienced around the lower back and the upper abdomen)
- A study of drug interactions between Aspirin, Valium for a 57-year old man with Pain - Shoulder, Anxiety Disorder. The patient has Heart Palpitations
- A study of drug interactions between Amoxicillin, Cephalexin for a 57-year old woman with Infection. The patient has Abscess
- A study of drug interactions between Metformin, Victoza for a 35-year old woman with Diabetes. The patient has Dizziness, Nausea, Heart Palpitations, Breathing Difficulty, Chills, Diarrhea, Fatigue
Recent Amoxicillin related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Histamine Phosphate, Artemisia, Kali Bichromicum, Chamomilla, Amoxicillin for a 6-year old boy who has Infection
- Comparions of Simponi, Amoxicillin for a 62-year old man who has Rash Generalised
- Comparions of Uloric, Amoxicillin for a 68-year old man who has Sinusitis
- Comparions of Lactulose, Amoxicillin Pediatric for a 39-year old woman who has Constipation
- Comparions of Meclizine, Clonidine, Amoxicillin, Flomax, Alprazolam for a 72-year old man who has Diverticulitis
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.