Review: could Amoxicillin cause High blood sugar (Hyperglycemia)?
Summary: High blood sugar is found among people who take Amoxicillin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Dexamethasone, and have Metastases to bone.
We study 22,244 people who have side effects while taking Amoxicillin from FDA and social media. Among them, 159 have High blood sugar. Find out below who they are, when they have High blood sugar and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Amoxicillin and have High blood sugar >>>
Amoxicillin has active ingredients of amoxicillin. It is often used in infection. (latest outcomes from Amoxicillin 24,153 users)
High blood sugar
High blood sugar (high blood sugar) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, diabetes, type 2 diabetes, depression, bipolar disorder.(latest reports from High blood sugar 16,702 patients)
On Dec, 13, 2014: 22,236 people reported to have side effects when taking Amoxicillin. Among them, 159 people (0.72%) have High Blood Sugar.
Time on Amoxicillin when people have High blood sugar * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|High blood sugar||95.65%||4.35%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have High blood sugar when taking Amoxicillin * :
|High blood sugar||56.25%||43.75% |
Age of people who have High blood sugar when taking Amoxicillin * :
|High blood sugar||0.00%||0.79%||3.15%||11.81%||3.15%||14.17%||26.77%||40.16% |
Severity of High blood sugar when taking Amoxicillin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|High blood sugar||0.00%||0.00%||66.67%||33.33% |
How people recovered from High blood sugar ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|High blood sugar||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Metastases to bone (10 people, 6.29%)
- Depression (10 people, 6.29%)
- Anxiety (9 people, 5.66%)
- Multiple myeloma (9 people, 5.66%)
- Pain (8 people, 5.03%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Dexamethasone (56 people, 35.22%)
- Zometa (55 people, 34.59%)
- Neurontin (54 people, 33.96%)
- Decadron (52 people, 32.70%)
- Prednisone (50 people, 31.45%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have High Blood Sugar while taking Amoxicillin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Amoxicillin and have High Blood Sugar
- support group for people who take Amoxicillin
- support group for people who have High Blood Sugar
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
More questions for: Amoxicillin, High blood sugar
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Drug interractions savella. amoxicillin
Sudden ache, pain and neuropathy in right hand and wrist within 8 hours of sterting Amoxicillin.
- Lupus induced by amoxicillin (1 response)
Was given Amoxicillin for Strep Throat and on day 10 I noticed a rash starting on my torso and began to feel ill, as if I had the flu. Went to emerg and got sent home with Benadryl. Woke up the next morning to the rash getting worse and an overall feeling of fatigue. Went to emerg again and this time had blood taken and the results showed an extreme rise in my white blood cells and by then, I had a fever. I was airlifted to another hospital where they did tests, but really had no idea what was wrong. I discharged myself with a script for corticosteroids and by then my joints began to stiffen, to a point of barely being able to walk and the pain was excruciating! I had to be cared for by my husband and struggled to lift my tea cup, or get out of bed. This lasted for about a month and then gradually began to subside. The doctors never did have answers for any of it. They chalked it up to an allergy to Amoxicillin. One mentioned "Steven Johnson Syndrome".
- Amoxycillin and ear popping.
I'm 30. I have otitis externa, but have never suffered with ear popping as a symptom. I had a flare up 2 wks before being prescribed this drug. I took a spay abx treatment which caused severe pain in my ears, so stopped taking that 5 days into the 7 day course. 4-5 days into my amoxicillin treatment for a uti, and my ears are popping. I have no known other medical problems, and am on no other meds.
More reviews for: Amoxicillin, High blood sugar
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- My son is 17 months old and been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes but I just received a call from his physician that he is positive for Enterovirus. What is the connection between Enterovirus and high blood sugar levels?
- My son has been on Amox for an ear infection for 4 days, and the last 2 days he has started screaming at about 2:00am. Doesn't seem to be awake.. thrashing and hitting and screaming. I assume this is a night terror.
- I have been experiencing some chest discomfort on and off for about 3 days. I also have localized pain under my left breastbone. This didn't start until I started the Amoxicillin which I am on 875 mg twice a day. I do have acid reflux which I am on protonix 40 mg twice a day. I am not having any tro ...
- I just had radical hysterectomy 8 weeks ago. I was under general anesthesia for 6 hours. I take spironolactone 100mg x2/day, HRT, Ambien, and Nicorette gum 2 mg. PCP wants me to discontinue Spiro, but this time is crucial for me to continue Spiro. Do I decrease Spiro to 100mg or spiro completely and ...
- My dad has been diabetic for about9 yrs now and started on Huminsulin then. However for the last 6 yrs he has been on Novorapid and Lantus.
Now I am suspecting a probable Somogyi effect,for the last 3 - 4 months.This started after a recent bout of hypoglycaemia during the day when the blood sugar ...
More related studies for: Amoxicillin, High blood sugar
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.