Review: could Amoxicillin cause Sciatica?
Summary: Sciatica is found among people who take Amoxicillin, especially for people who are female, 50-59 old, have been taking the drug for 5 - 10 years, also take medication Zometa, and have Multiple myeloma.
We study 22,279 people who have side effects while taking Amoxicillin from FDA and social media. Among them, 79 have Sciatica. Find out below who they are, when they have Sciatica and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Amoxicillin and have Sciatica >>>
Amoxicillin has active ingredients of amoxicillin. It is often used in infection. (latest outcomes from 24,188 Amoxicillin users)
Sciatica (a set of symptoms including pain caused by general compression or irritation of one of five spinal nerve roots of each sciatic nerve) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, osteopenia, rheumatoid arthritis, high blood pressure, multiple sclerosis. (latest reports from 7,147 Sciatica patients)
On Mar, 16, 2015: 22,270 people reported to have side effects when taking Amoxicillin. Among them, 79 people (0.35%) have Sciatica.
Time on Amoxicillin when people have Sciatica * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Sciatica when taking Amoxicillin * :
Age of people who have Sciatica when taking Amoxicillin * :
Severity of Sciatica when taking Amoxicillin ** :
How people recovered from Sciatica ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Multiple myeloma (22 people, 27.85%)
- Osteoporosis (18 people, 22.78%)
- Depression (9 people, 11.39%)
- Hypertension (9 people, 11.39%)
- Muscle spasms (7 people, 8.86%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Zometa (44 people, 55.70%)
- Neurontin (41 people, 51.90%)
- Prilosec (34 people, 43.04%)
- Aredia (31 people, 39.24%)
- Dexamethasone (31 people, 39.24%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
Comments for this study:
Matt N (3 years ago):
Suffered with sciatica symptoms in lower back/leg for 18 months. I received chiropractic treatment for months with no difference in pain. I Received physical therapy with no change. I started taking 125mg of Amoxicillin twice daily for five days. By the fourth day, the nerve pain and sciatica symptoms became noticeably reduced to the point where I could sit for a full work day without discomfort.
Reply the comment
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Sciatica while taking Amoxicillin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Amoxicillin and have Sciatica
- support group for people who take Amoxicillin
- support group for people who have Sciatica
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Amoxicillin for a 72-year old man with Abscess - Tooth. The patient has Hearing Loss
- A study of side effects of Amoxicillin for a 34-year old woman with Tonsillitis. The patient has Flank Pain (a distressing sensation experienced around the lower back and the upper abdomen)
- A study of drug interactions between Amoxicillin, Cephalexin for a 57-year old woman with Infection. The patient has Abscess
- A study of drug interactions between Ibuprofen, Co-codamol, Amoxicillin for a 30-year old woman with Sinusitis, Tooth Abscess. The patient has Laryngospasm, Diarrhoea
- A study of side effects of Amoxicillin for a 40-year old man with Sinus Infection. The patient has Tiredness (feeling of tiredness), Diarrhoea Infectious (bacteria, viruses, and other germs can cause diarrhoea), Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit), Fever
Recent Amoxicillin related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Histamine Phosphate, Artemisia, Kali Bichromicum, Chamomilla, Amoxicillin for a 6-year old boy who has Infection
- Comparions of Simponi, Amoxicillin for a 62-year old man who has Rash Generalised
- Comparions of Uloric, Amoxicillin for a 68-year old man who has Sinusitis
- Comparions of Lactulose, Amoxicillin Pediatric for a 39-year old woman who has Constipation
- Comparions of Meclizine, Clonidine, Amoxicillin, Flomax, Alprazolam for a 72-year old man who has Diverticulitis
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.