Review: could Amoxicillin cause Sore throat?
Summary: Sore throat is found among people who take Amoxicillin, especially for people who are female, 40-49 old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Aspirin, and have Strep throat.
We study 22,279 people who have side effects while taking Amoxicillin from FDA and social media. Among them, 41 have Sore throat. Find out below who they are, when they have Sore throat and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Amoxicillin and have Sore throat >>>
Amoxicillin has active ingredients of amoxicillin. It is often used in infection. (latest outcomes from 24,188 Amoxicillin users)
Sore throat (pain or irritation of the throat) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, depression, asthma, stress and anxiety, high blood cholesterol. (latest reports from 3,426 Sore throat patients)
On Mar, 31, 2015: 22,279 people reported to have side effects when taking Amoxicillin. Among them, 41 people (0.18%) have Sore Throat.
Time on Amoxicillin when people have Sore throat * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Sore throat||100.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Sore throat when taking Amoxicillin * :
|Sore throat||57.50%||42.50% |
Age of people who have Sore throat when taking Amoxicillin * :
|Sore throat||0.00%||5.13%||12.82%||7.69%||15.38%||23.08%||12.82%||23.08% |
Severity of Sore throat when taking Amoxicillin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Sore throat||0.00%||71.43%||28.57%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Sore throat ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Sore throat||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Strep throat (2 people, 4.88%)
- Adjustment disorder with mixed anxiety and depressed mood (1 people, 2.44%)
- Vaginitis bacterial (1 people, 2.44%)
- Lyme disease (1 people, 2.44%)
- Runny nose (1 people, 2.44%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (4 people, 9.76%)
- Biaxin (4 people, 9.76%)
- Lamictal (4 people, 9.76%)
- Zithromax (3 people, 7.32%)
- Clarithromycin (3 people, 7.32%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of amoxicillin and sore throat on
Do you have Sore Throat while taking Amoxicillin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Amoxicillin and have Sore Throat
- support group for people who take Amoxicillin
- support group for people who have Sore Throat
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Amoxicillin for a 34-year old woman with Tonsillitis. The patient has Flank Pain (a distressing sensation experienced around the lower back and the upper abdomen)
- A study of drug interactions between Amoxicillin, Cephalexin for a 57-year old woman with Infection. The patient has Abscess
- A study of drug interactions between Oxycodone, Simponi for a 56-year old man with Back Disorder, Psoriatic Arthropathy. The patient has Diabetes, Musculoskeletal Discomfort, Upper-airway Cough Syndrome, Sore Throat
- A study of drug interactions between Dulera, Ventolin, Levothyroxine Sodium, Effexor Xr, Vyvanse for a 38-year old woman with Asthma, Hypothyroidism, Anxiety, Add. The patient has Urniating Frequently, Itchy Skin, Sore Throat, Back Pain - Low, Swollen Lymph Nodes
- A study of drug interactions between Ibuprofen, Co-codamol, Amoxicillin for a 30-year old woman with Sinusitis, Tooth Abscess. The patient has Laryngospasm, Diarrhoea
Recent Amoxicillin related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Histamine Phosphate, Artemisia, Kali Bichromicum, Chamomilla, Amoxicillin for a 6-year old boy who has Infection
- Comparions of Simponi, Amoxicillin for a 62-year old man who has Rash Generalised
- Comparions of Uloric, Amoxicillin for a 68-year old man who has Sinusitis
- Comparions of Lactulose, Amoxicillin Pediatric for a 39-year old woman who has Constipation
- Comparions of Meclizine, Clonidine, Amoxicillin, Flomax, Alprazolam for a 72-year old man who has Diverticulitis
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.