Review: could Amoxicillin cause Sore throat?
Summary: Sore throat is reported only by a few people who take Amoxicillin.
We study 22,244 people who have side effects while taking Amoxicillin from FDA and social media. Among them, 4 have Sore throat. Find out below who they are, when they have Sore throat and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Amoxicillin and have Sore throat >>>
Amoxicillin has active ingredients of amoxicillin. It is often used in infection. (latest outcomes from Amoxicillin 24,153 users)
Sore throat (pain or irritation of the throat) has been reported by people with depression, gastroesophageal reflux disease, high blood pressure, stress and anxiety, high blood cholesterol.(latest reports from Sore throat 3,030 patients)
On Nov, 25, 2014: 22,236 people reported to have side effects when taking Amoxicillin. Among them, 41 people (0.18%) have Sore Throat.
Time on Amoxicillin when people have Sore throat * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Sore throat||100.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Sore throat when taking Amoxicillin * :
|Sore throat||57.50%||42.50% |
Age of people who have Sore throat when taking Amoxicillin * :
|Sore throat||0.00%||5.13%||12.82%||7.69%||15.38%||23.08%||12.82%||23.08% |
Severity of Sore throat when taking Amoxicillin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Sore throat||0.00%||71.43%||28.57%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Sore throat ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Sore throat||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Strep throat (2 people, 4.88%)
- Adjustment disorder with mixed anxiety and depressed mood (1 people, 2.44%)
- Vaginitis bacterial (1 people, 2.44%)
- Lyme disease (1 people, 2.44%)
- Runny nose (1 people, 2.44%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (4 people, 9.76%)
- Biaxin (4 people, 9.76%)
- Lamictal (4 people, 9.76%)
- Zithromax (3 people, 7.32%)
- Clarithromycin (3 people, 7.32%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Sore Throat while taking Amoxicillin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Amoxicillin and have Sore Throat
- support group for people who take Amoxicillin
- support group for people who have Sore Throat
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
More questions for: Amoxicillin, Sore throat
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Soar throat after taking sertaline
half a pill first timw. severe soar throat 2 hrs after taking 25mg
- Drug interractions savella. amoxicillin
Sudden ache, pain and neuropathy in right hand and wrist within 8 hours of sterting Amoxicillin.
- Still ill after several years (1 response)
I became ill several years ago.
It all started with a head cold that lasted a few months and left me with Tinnitus and chronic sinusitis.
After a nose operation and many visits to the doc and hospital, I am no closer to felling better or being cured.
My doc gave me Beconase Aq at first and this made me very unwell, causing me fatigue which would last for a few days. I'm still searching for help.
- Lupus induced by amoxicillin (1 response)
Was given Amoxicillin for Strep Throat and on day 10 I noticed a rash starting on my torso and began to feel ill, as if I had the flu. Went to emerg and got sent home with Benadryl. Woke up the next morning to the rash getting worse and an overall feeling of fatigue. Went to emerg again and this time had blood taken and the results showed an extreme rise in my white blood cells and by then, I had a fever. I was airlifted to another hospital where they did tests, but really had no idea what was wrong. I discharged myself with a script for corticosteroids and by then my joints began to stiffen, to a point of barely being able to walk and the pain was excruciating! I had to be cared for by my husband and struggled to lift my tea cup, or get out of bed. This lasted for about a month and then gradually began to subside. The doctors never did have answers for any of it. They chalked it up to an allergy to Amoxicillin. One mentioned "Steven Johnson Syndrome".
- Amoxycillin and ear popping.
I'm 30. I have otitis externa, but have never suffered with ear popping as a symptom. I had a flare up 2 wks before being prescribed this drug. I took a spay abx treatment which caused severe pain in my ears, so stopped taking that 5 days into the 7 day course. 4-5 days into my amoxicillin treatment for a uti, and my ears are popping. I have no known other medical problems, and am on no other meds.
More reviews for: Amoxicillin, Sore throat
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- My son is 17 months old and been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes but I just received a call from his physician that he is positive for Enterovirus. What is the connection between Enterovirus and high blood sugar levels?
- My son has been on Amox for an ear infection for 4 days, and the last 2 days he has started screaming at about 2:00am. Doesn't seem to be awake.. thrashing and hitting and screaming. I assume this is a night terror.
- I have been experiencing some chest discomfort on and off for about 3 days. I also have localized pain under my left breastbone. This didn't start until I started the Amoxicillin which I am on 875 mg twice a day. I do have acid reflux which I am on protonix 40 mg twice a day. I am not having any tro ...
- When I stopped Singulair my chronic sore throat went away along with my skin hurting. I'm still getting little red skin blisters all over my body from neck down. Only one on my face, cheek. I haven't stopped the Linzess as I was on this for almost three months when my symptoms started 3 weeks after ...
- Jan 2014 CDiff, mucus in stool, very weak sick, stool incontinence 3-4 times a day. Had been on most meds since March 2014 after diagnosis of UC/Crohn's/Proctitis, in July I started to loose my hair in handfulls. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I started shaking a lot and noticed facial tremors ...
More related studies for: Amoxicillin, Sore throat
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.