Review: could Artane cause Tardive dyskinesia?
Summary: Tardive dyskinesia is found among people who take Artane, especially for people who are female, 50-59 old, also take medication Risperdal, and have Schizophrenia.
We study 2,294 people who have side effects while taking Artane from FDA and social media. Among them, 45 have Tardive dyskinesia. Find out below who they are, when they have Tardive dyskinesia and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Artane and have Tardive dyskinesia >>>
Artane has active ingredients of trihexyphenidyl hydrochloride. It is often used in parkinson's disease. (latest outcomes from Artane 2,337 users)
Tardive dyskinesia (a disorder that involves involuntary movements) has been reported by people with indigestion, abdominal distension, bipolar disorder, depression, gastrointestinal disorder.(latest reports from Tardive dyskinesia 23,204 patients)
On Dec, 3, 2014: 2,294 people reported to have side effects when taking Artane. Among them, 45 people (1.96%) have Tardive Dyskinesia.
Time on Artane when people have Tardive dyskinesia * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Tardive dyskinesia||50.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||50.00% |
Age of people who have Tardive dyskinesia when taking Artane * :
|Tardive dyskinesia||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||15.15%||15.15%||21.21%||24.24%||24.24% |
Severity of Tardive dyskinesia when taking Artane ** :
How people recovered from Tardive dyskinesia ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Schizophrenia (16 people, 35.56%)
- Depression (6 people, 13.33%)
- Bipolar disorder (6 people, 13.33%)
- Anxiety (4 people, 8.89%)
- Convulsion (3 people, 6.67%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Risperdal (18 people, 40.00%)
- Seroquel (17 people, 37.78%)
- Zyprexa (12 people, 26.67%)
- Cogentin (12 people, 26.67%)
- Depakote (11 people, 24.44%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Tardive Dyskinesia while taking Artane?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Artane and have Tardive Dyskinesia
- support group for people who take Artane
- support group for people who have Tardive Dyskinesia
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
More questions for: Artane, Tardive dyskinesia
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Intuniv and tardive dyskenesia
My daughter has autism and hyperactivity. She was treated with Intuniv for about 2 years. She developed tardive dyskenesia. I am currently in the process of finding ways to treat it. I have tried Zantac, baclofen, no treatment. so far those have not helped. I am going to try vitamin B6 now in hope of alleviating the condition.
- Tardive dyskinesia and shingles
I have always been hypersensitive to drugs. I have multiple allergies which have in some cases caused anaphylaxis. I developed Tardive Dyskinesia after being on Geodone for five days. (stopped geodon immediately after manifestation of symptoms) The symptoms began on the third day. I have managed to keep the Tardive Dyskinesia under control or to a few ticks finding my triggers and avoiding them. Like Caffeine, stress, and anxiety. I also had physical therapy and joined a gym. I also take an herbal supplement Relax and Sleep (4 yrs now) which helps a great deal. Recently, I developed shingles. The pain was unbearable and for some reason it triggered or aggravated Tardive Dyskinesia. I've been having inner tremors ever since and have had two bouts of Tardive Dyskinesia that borders on violent. I look like I'm having a seizure or Parkinsons. I always feel it coming on before it strikes. My chest muscles tighten and my arms and body are tense but I'm constantly moving. I can't speak and have difficulty walking when it occurs. My legs feel like weights. My face twitches, my eye winks and I can't swallow. Relax and sleep by natures made has been a life saver. It has melatonin, valerian root and chamomile. As a matter a fact I was in remission for a year. I only had subtle movements. I posted the discovery on youtube and other people have reported improvements. Mainly I wanted to know if the shingles triggered this episode because it effects the nerves? My grandmother developed alzheimer's late in life. I'm 49 years of age. Something is wrong. I can feel it.
- My t.d. and my living hell (3 responses)
I was dianosed with T.D. on Sept. 19, 2013...by a neurologist at St. Peters Hospital in Albany, NY...I was taken there because of concern that I had suffered a stroke...since then, life for, not only me, but my family has pretty much come to a screeching halt...I seemed to have hit the jackpot as far as the symptoms go, getting most associated w/ T.D. w/ the exception of rapid eye movement...my speech comes and goes, I have head tilting (to the right), very difficult to watch TV...I constantly drool, creating secondary problems w/ my mouth...(open sores inside of my mouth, terrible pain at times, very painful pimples on my chin an lips, etc.)extremely fatigue...hand and feet movement, uncontrolled stepping or marching in place...and the list goes on...I go to medical professionals all of the time and do not get much satisfaction...I try medications without much success...(all of this is getting very expensive)...My next move is to try heavy doses of Amino Acids...(not covered by ins. and $120.00+ per month...my Primary suggested a Case Manager because he feels that I may not be getting the best treatment I could be getting...right now, I'm losing confidence in everything...I DO know that it sucks to be me right now...
More reviews for: Artane, Tardive dyskinesia
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- Stabbing pain began at about a level 6 only while I was on the drug Trihexphenidyl. It appeared when I introduced the 1/2 pill a day at the twice per day mark. The first 5 days of 1/2 a pill had no reaction. it was the beginning of the next 5 days that I immediately felt the pain but no other sy ...
- I have become aware, within the last 2 years, that I have been moving the back of my tongue at a rapid rate. I didn't realize that I was doing it until about 2 years ago. I am able to stop doing it when I think about it, but when not paying attention, I start doing it again. When I am anxious or ...
- Bad muscle/joint pain for over a year, in both knees and fingers. RA ruled out. ADHD since child. Cymbalta was prescribed after refusing narcotics. Soma 350mg 3 times a day is also taken for pain. Was taking clonidine to avoid upping dose of Adderall, also given clozapam to calm down from anxiety an ...
- I have been incessantly chewing for months so much so that my bottom front teeth are loose enough to wiggle and I have good teeth. I have been chewing on the inside of my mouth too. I also have had people comment about my head shaking without my knowledge.
- Took Artane ( 30 mg per day) for 17 years 11 - 28). Suffered from severe short term memory loss. inability to learn and retain. Memory issues greatly alleviated within 2 months of termination of artane. Like a veil was lifted.
More related studies for: Artane, Tardive dyskinesia
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.