Review: could Asacol cause Lupus-like syndrome?
Summary: Lupus-like syndrome is found among people who take Asacol, especially for people who are female, 40-49 old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Remicade, and have Crohn's disease.
We study 7,364 people who have side effects while taking Asacol from FDA and social media. Among them, 48 have Lupus-like syndrome. Find out below who they are, when they have Lupus-like syndrome and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Asacol and have Lupus-like syndrome >>>
Asacol has active ingredients of mesalamine. It is often used in ulcerative colitis. (latest outcomes from Asacol 7,723 users)
Lupus-like syndrome (a disease symptom matches with lupus an immune disease) has been reported by people with crohn's disease, rheumatoid arthritis, psoriasis, ulcerative colitis, high blood pressure.(latest reports from Lupus-like syndrome 3,032 patients)
On Nov, 28, 2014: 7,363 people reported to have side effects when taking Asacol. Among them, 48 people (0.65%) have Lupus-like Syndrome.
Time on Asacol when people have Lupus-like syndrome * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Lupus-like syndrome||0.00%||50.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||50.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Lupus-like syndrome when taking Asacol * :
|Lupus-like syndrome||76.92%||23.08% |
Age of people who have Lupus-like syndrome when taking Asacol * :
|Lupus-like syndrome||0.00%||0.00%||2.70%||10.81%||10.81%||45.95%||16.22%||13.51% |
Severity of Lupus-like syndrome when taking Asacol ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Lupus-like syndrome||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
How people recovered from Lupus-like syndrome ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Lupus-like syndrome||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Crohn's disease (33 people, 68.75%)
- Colitis ulcerative (9 people, 18.75%)
- Arthralgia (2 people, 4.17%)
- Hypertension (2 people, 4.17%)
- Diabetes mellitus (1 people, 2.08%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Remicade (40 people, 83.33%)
- Imuran (11 people, 22.92%)
- Prednisone (7 people, 14.58%)
- Prednisone tab (4 people, 8.33%)
- Methotrexate (4 people, 8.33%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Lupus-like Syndrome while taking Asacol?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Asacol and have Lupus-like Syndrome
- support group for people who take Asacol
- support group for people who have Lupus-like Syndrome
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Does zoloft cause ringing in the ears, like tinnitus? i've been on it for a month and noticed the ringing in the ears about a week ago, and it's just constant ringing and it's driving me insane.
(Asked by a 24 year old man who has Ringing In The Ears, and takes Dicyclomine Hydrochloride, Benadryl, Tylenol, Lialda, Azathioprine, Prednisone, Ambien, Zoloft)
I've been on most of the medications for more than a year and it hasn't been that bad getting used to them. But I've been on Zoloft and ambien for about a month now, and I've been noticing a lot of side effects. The one I just recently noticed and that has been driving me completely insane, is the r ...
- Has anyone ever had numbness in the feet that was caused by taking asacol, and did anyone ever find out that it somehow blocks the absorption of vitamin b in some way?
(Asked by a 65 year old woman who has Ulcerative Colitis, and takes Asacol)
I have had some numbness in my right foot for a long time due to a broken foot that was set wrong and now sits in my shoes strangely, causing some pain and numbness and swelling. However, recently I've had some numbness in my left foot. After seeing a neurologist on a different matter, she indicat ...
- I have got ulcerative collits
(Asked by a 41 year old woman who has Ulcerative Colitis, and takes Pentasa)
hi I have had ulcerative colitis since 2007 I have been taking solfalk, during that time
two years ago a dr gave me pentasa suppository I have been using it for 2 years since that time I developed chloasma (melasma) and my hair is thinning could this medicine be effecting it.
I was fine when ...
- Does lialda creates a erectal disfunction
(Asked by a 41 year old man who has Erectal Disfunction, and takes Lialda)
My sex drive is not there now and I'll been taking lialda for 2 months
- Since lasix i have severe bouts with mylar rash plus lupus type symptoms. being treated for lupus. related to lasix?
(Asked by a 47 year old woman who has Lupus-like Syndrome, and takes Lasix)
My biggest concern is, will the Lupus syndrome symptoms go away with the cessation of the lasix?
More questions for: Asacol, Lupus-like syndrome
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Bone infections involving my teeth crohns and prednisone over the past 12 years
(Posted by a 54 year old woman who has Acid Reflux, Thyroid Disorder, Ulcer - Stomach, Restrictive Pulmonary Disease, Intestinal Resection, Diverticulitis, Crohn's Disease, and takes Vitamin D, Synthroid, Prilosec Otc, Pravastatin Sodium, Asacol Hd)
Dentist  tell me the abscesses are in the bones and I've had several root canals, bridges, bone surgeries that last 3 years, teeth became so mobile after the bone economy I had them pulled and now a partial one month ago. Bone loss etc. I don't have the ridges in my mouth that most Crohn patients ...
- Apriso skin reaction
(Posted by a 67 year old man who has Redness And Burning Face Mimic Rosacea, Allergic Sinusitis, and takes Apriso)
Began the Apriso late September 2013. Within a couple of weeks had symptoms of a constantly runny nose and sinus pressure. By mid-November 2013, I began have redness of cheeks and nose. Then a progression of the redness with small red swollen blood vessels to surface. There was a burning. Special ...
- I experienced fatigue, muscle aches and twitches with asacol
(Posted by a 45 year old woman who has Microscopic Colitis, Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, and takes Asacol Hd, Metformin)
Was taking 2 tablets 3x per day for a month and a half and began having muscle twitches, muscle and joint aches and fatigue severe enough people noticed I couldn't find correct words to finish my sentences. I stopped taking it and it has taken almost three weeks to feel human and energetic again. Pe ...
More reviews for: Asacol, Lupus-like syndrome
- A study of drug interactions between Excedrin, Levothyroxine Sodium, Pentasa, Cymbalta for a patient with Migraine, Hypothyroidism, Crohn's Disease, Depression. The patient has Cough Aggravated, Indigestion, Stomach Discomfort, Crohn's Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, Tremor, Hair Loss, Difficulty Breathing, Sore Throat, Choking
Comments: Jan 2014 CDiff, mucus in stool, very weak sick, stool incontinence 3-4 times a day. Had been on most meds since March 2014 after diagnosis of UC/Crohn's/Proctitis, in July I started to loose my hair in handfulls. I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I started shaking a lot and noticed facial tremors ...
- A study of drug interactions between Simvastatin, Celexa, Copaxone, Ativan, Pentasa for a patient with High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, Depression, Multiple Sclerosis Relapse, Anxiety Disorder, Crohn's Disease. The patient has Myalgia, Musculoskeletal Stiffness, Nerve Pain, Pain - Muscles
Comments: Was put on simvastatin for 5 days, when severe pain hit. Was taken off of it immediately. Put on steriods. SED rate elevated. Prednisone helped just a little, but when weaning down, pain got worse. It has been 6 weeks off medication.
- A study of drug interactions between Neoral, Plaquenil, Rhinocort, Symbicort, Xyzal, Humira, Remicade, Lyrica, Calcium, Vitamin D, Omeprazole, Dipentum, Asacol, Pentasa, Escitalopram, Prednisone for a patient with Lupus, Allergic Sinusitis, Asthma, Ulcerative Colitis, Fibromyalgia, Osteopenia, Ulcer - Stomach, Depression. The patient has Autoimmune Disorder, Joint Warmth, Asthma, Colitis Ulcerative, Burning Sensation, Burning Eyes, Burning Feet Syndrome
Comments: I had Pan ulverative colitis since 2000. two years ago had bad pain in joints, back neck. and was diagnosed with fibromyalgia
this year the dr diagnosed me as lupus
he gave me neoral since 2 months and i am not getting any better
burning sensation in hands and feet all day and night
cant s ...
- A study of side effects of Asacol for a patient with Colitis Microscopic. The patient has Fatigue (feeling of tiredness)
Comments: Discontinuing Asacol very gradually. After 2 weeks I have gone from 400 mg to 200 mg. loss of energy; reaction to a pasta dinner; some anxiety. Have to switch to lialda if not better since Asacol in my dose is no longer being made. My doctor wants me to stop both an d see how I do. The reduction in ...
- A study of side effects of Asacol for a patient with Proctitis Ulcerative. The patient has Breathing Difficulty
Comments: I wonder if the medication causes some of these symptoms, and if there are recommendations for alternative medications. I wonder if there is anything that can be done for Essential Tremor, besides epilepsy drugs, which make me feel sick.
More related studies for: Asacol, Lupus-like syndrome
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.