Review: could Atenolol cause Diabetes mellitus (Diabetes)?
Summary: Diabetes mellitus is found among people who take Atenolol, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 5 - 10 years, also take medication Seroquel, and have Depression.
We study 80,052 people who have side effects while taking Atenolol from FDA and social media. Among them, 1,299 have Diabetes mellitus. Find out below who they are, when they have Diabetes mellitus and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Atenolol and have Diabetes mellitus >>>
Atenolol has active ingredients of atenolol. It is often used in high blood pressure. (latest outcomes from Atenolol 82,721 users)
Diabetes mellitus (diabetes, caused by a deficiency of the pancreatic hormone insulin) has been reported by people with depression, bipolar disorder, high blood pressure, schizophrenia, stress and anxiety.(latest reports from Diabetes mellitus 137,876 patients)
On Dec, 16, 2014: 80,052 people reported to have side effects when taking Atenolol. Among them, 1,299 people (1.62%) have Diabetes Mellitus.
Time on Atenolol when people have Diabetes mellitus * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Diabetes mellitus||20.00%||8.00%||8.00%||4.00%||8.00%||36.00%||16.00% |
Gender of people who have Diabetes mellitus when taking Atenolol * :
|Diabetes mellitus||51.79%||48.21% |
Age of people who have Diabetes mellitus when taking Atenolol * :
|Diabetes mellitus||0.00%||0.00%||0.27%||2.83%||9.39%||23.56%||29.58%||34.37% |
Severity of Diabetes mellitus when taking Atenolol ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Diabetes mellitus||14.29%||42.86%||28.57%||14.29% |
How people recovered from Diabetes mellitus ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Diabetes mellitus||0.00%||60.00%||40.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Depression (221 people, 17.01%)
- Hypertension (197 people, 15.17%)
- Bipolar disorder (153 people, 11.78%)
- Anxiety (140 people, 10.78%)
- Sleep disorder (101 people, 7.78%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Seroquel (365 people, 28.10%)
- Aspirin (323 people, 24.87%)
- Lipitor (266 people, 20.48%)
- Lisinopril (216 people, 16.63%)
- Zyprexa (205 people, 15.78%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Diabetes Mellitus while taking Atenolol?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Atenolol and have Diabetes Mellitus
- support group for people who take Atenolol
- support group for people who have Diabetes Mellitus
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- I'm starting 7.5 mg remeron tonight , how can i expect to feal in the morning? (1 answer)
(Asked by a 49 year old woman who has Depression,anxiety, Insomnia,diabetes , ITP , Lupus, and takes Atenolol, Trazodone Hydrochloride, Synthroid, Prozac)
Long period of depression desperate to find something that will work quik and give me some energy.
- Could prilosec cause an elevated blood sugar
(Asked by a 64 year old woman who has DIABETES, and takes Metformin, Prilosec)
I've been on Prilosec for about 1 month & my blood sugars have been elevated starting shortly after I started on it. could Prilosec be causing it? Nothing else has changed with my meds or lifestyle.
- Dabigatran,rivaroxaban, apixaban (eliquis) or aspirin - which is most suitable for a patient with af (atrial fibrilation), left subdural hematoma, right ischemic stroke with hemorehagic transformation
(Asked by a 82 year old woman who has Thyroid Disorder, Ischemic CVA Stroke With Hemorrhagic Transformation, Chronic Subdural Hematoma (Left), High Blood Pressure, Diabetes, Atrial Fibrillation)
My grandmother have Atrial Fibrillation (AF) and suffered a ischemic CVA stroke with hemorrhagic transformation on right brain this week. She also had left sudural hematoma for some time now, due to which Asprin (ecospirin-75) that she was taking because of her AF was stopped and I believe that stop ...
- Has anyone had tingling in hands, arms, feet, legs from lisinopril that did not go away when they quit taking it? if you got rid of the tingles, how did you do it? (2 answers)
(Asked by a 51 year old woman who has Muscle Pain, Muscle Tightness, Tingling And Numbness, and takes Atenolol, Lisinopril )
After 9 months on Atenolol I started getting tingling in my left hand. Also had a pulmonary embolism. A doc switched me to Lisinopril and the tingling moved to my legs, feet, both hands and arms. My calf muscles are very tight and my legs ache. Plus dizziness and other things. After 3 years of ...
- Will the herb hca in garcinia cambogia cause liver damage or in cases be fatal
(Asked by a 53 year old woman who has Diabetes, Hypothyroidism, and takes Janumet)
I take synthroid once a day for my diabetes im on insulin at bedtime and the janumet twice daily. will the garcinia cambogia xt interfere with my meds. also I read from a consumers on health that the HCA in the supplement could damage the liver and in one was fatal. do yu think I should be taking t ...
More questions for: Atenolol, Diabetes mellitus
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Excessive menstrual cycle bleeding??? here's a possible answer!
(Posted by a 32 year old woman who has Heavy Or Prolong Menstrual Bleeding, and takes Atenolol, Hydrochlorothiazide)
I take Hydrochlorothiazide 25mg and Atenolol 50mg daily for high blood pressure. I have had every exam known to man and all blood work and test results come back clear with no indications of a reason as to why my pressure is high. Needless to say, I take the meds and my blood pressure is controlled. ...
- Victoza and liver cancer (cholangiocarcinoma)
(Posted by a 59 year old man who has Anaemia Vitamin B12 Deficiency, Sleep Apnea, Hypertension, Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus, Cholangiocarcinoma (liver Cancer), and takes Diovan, Atenolol, Metformin, Victoza)
My husband was recently diagnosed with stage 4 liver cancer after taking Victoza for several years. The doctor discontinued the Victoza when the cancer was diagnosed but he actually started feeling better after he stopped it until the cancer started progressing. Since cholangiocarcinoma nd pancreati ...
- Prednisone induced cushing's syndrome
(Posted by a 53 year old woman who has Steroid Myopathy, Osteopenia, Diabetes, Peripheral Neuropathy , Cushing's Syndrome - Steroid Induced, and takes Prednisone)
Prescribed Prednisone 20mg twice daily. Took for six weeks and developed weaken muscles and swollen face. Was hospitalized and informed I had severe Cushing's Syndrome. Host of problems included glucose over 400, inflammed pancreas, triglycerides over 4,000 and vision problems. Muscles were wast ...
- Melatonin reduces essential tremor of the hand
(Posted by a 64 year old woman who has Essential Tremor, and takes Fish Oil, Vitamin D, Atenolol, Melatonin)
After taking Melatonin 1mg as a sleep aid for several nights, I noticed that my essential tremor of the hand was showing improvement. Within a week the tremor was almost unnoticeable, and I could print and write neatly, even when slightly stressed at work. I haven't seen this response reported any ...
- Losartan cause deep vein thrombosis
(Posted by a 47 year old woman who has Anemia, Knee Pain, Back Pain, Knee Injury - Meniscus, Back Injury, High Blood Pressure, Chronic Dvt , and takes Methocarbamol, Warfarin Sodium, Clonidine, Atenolol)
have had two knee surgeries ,a lumbar decompression, after this three surgeries start taken Losartan potassium and two months later have had a lumbar fusion after this I suffered a Deep Vein Thrombosis, continues taken Losartan for more of year and half, I notice is a bad combination when my ...
More reviews for: Atenolol, Diabetes mellitus
- A study of drug interactions between Magnesium Citrate, Atenolol for a patient with Migraine With Aura, Hypertension. The patient has Arterial Ligation
Comments: I take 25 mg Atenolol and 250 mg magnesium citrate sometimes at same time. I was recently diagnosed with afib and had a TIA. Could combining atenolol and magnesium cause this. My doctors and pharmacist are aware I take both of these, but have made no comments about an interaction. I did find info o ...
- A study of drug interactions between Atenolol, Diamox for a patient with Hypertension, Pseudotumor Cerebri. The patient has White Blood Cell Count
Comments: Doctors asked if I had an infection. I saw an infectious disease doctor and he tested everything and said no infections, hidden or obvious. WBC and platelet counts elevate when i am on diamox. Doctors do not beleive me since diamox is known to decrease WBC, however, when I weaned myself off it slow ...
- A study of drug interactions between Aspirin, CoQ10, Cinnamon, Vitamin D, Cranberry, Zocor, Atenolol, Xanax for a patient with Heart Artery Dilatation, Supplementation Therapy, Blood Glucose Increased, Vitamin B-12 Level, Urinary Tract Pain, High Blood Cholesterol, Heart Palpitations, Anxiety. The patient has Nipple Discharge - Abnormal
Comments: Just noticed a few tiny dots of nipple discharge from clear to light brown when one nipple is squeezed. NOTE: One year ago had small red blood dots from OTHER nipple, spontaneous. Had many tests (see below) and saw a breast surgeon --- result: bleeding thought to be due to trauma (stabbed myself ...
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Potassium Gluconate, Butrans, Androgel, Viibryd, Livalo, Tribenzor, Nexium, Metformin, Lantus, Atenolol, Lovaza, Allopurinol for a patient with General Physical Health Deterioration, General Physical Condition, Muscle Weakness, Pain, Testosterone, Depression, High Blood Cholesterol And Triglycerides, High Blood Pressure, Gerd, Diabetes, High Blood Cholesterol, High Blood Sugar, Gout. The patient has Diabetes Mellitus, Erectile Dysfunction, Peripheral Neuropathy
Comments: Concern about allopurinol having exacerbated peripheral neuropathy
Also concerned about drugs and their interactions causing ED if I stop taking blood pressure meds incidence of ED is reduced considerably.
- A study of side effects of Atenolol for a patient with Hypertension. The patient has Coloración Rojiza En Las Extremedidas
Comments: Tomo medio atenolol 0,50 junto a medio losartan todas las mañanas desde hace 7 años,pero desde hace tres meses presento coloración rojiza en las extremidades, que al presionar con los dedos quedan blancas y se agudiza cuando las piernas están mucho de pie. el diagnóstico fue livedo reticularis ...
More related studies for: Atenolol, Diabetes mellitus
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.