Review: could Atenolol cause Hypothyroidism?
Summary: Hypothyroidism is found among people who take Atenolol, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Aspirin, and have Hypertension.
We study 80,052 people who have side effects while taking Atenolol from FDA and social media. Among them, 318 have Hypothyroidism. Find out below who they are, when they have Hypothyroidism and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Atenolol and have Hypothyroidism >>>
Atenolol has active ingredients of atenolol. It is often used in high blood pressure. (latest outcomes from Atenolol 82,721 users)
Hypothyroidism (abnormally low activity of the thyroid gland, resulting in retardation of growth and mental development) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, high blood pressure, osteopenia, depression, multiple sclerosis.(latest reports from Hypothyroidism 43,269 patients)
On Nov, 26, 2014: 80,038 people reported to have side effects when taking Atenolol. Among them, 318 people (0.40%) have Hypothyroidism.
Time on Atenolol when people have Hypothyroidism * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Hypothyroidism when taking Atenolol * :
Age of people who have Hypothyroidism when taking Atenolol * :
Severity of Hypothyroidism when taking Atenolol ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Hypothyroidism ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Hypertension (59 people, 18.55%)
- Depression (40 people, 12.58%)
- Osteoporosis (40 people, 12.58%)
- Hypothyroidism (29 people, 9.12%)
- Anxiety (25 people, 7.86%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (106 people, 33.33%)
- Synthroid (97 people, 30.50%)
- Levothyroxine sodium (53 people, 16.67%)
- Lasix (50 people, 15.72%)
- Prilosec (49 people, 15.41%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Hypothyroidism while taking Atenolol?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Atenolol and have Hypothyroidism
- support group for people who take Atenolol
- support group for people who have Hypothyroidism
Recent conversations of related support groups:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- I'm starting 7.5 mg remeron tonight , how can i expect to feal in the morning? (1 answer)
Long period of depression desperate to find something that will work quik and give me some energy.
- Is it okay to take co enzyme q 10 with levothyroxine
Is it okay to take Co Enzyme Q10 with Lovothyroxine. Will it stop my Levothyroxine from working properly. I am also on Simvastaton. Would appreciate any advice on this.
- Omeprazole or pantoprazole?
I take an oral contraceptive, Diane-35 ED, which is not in the list of drugs to choose from on this site.
Recently, the medication I was taking for my stomach ulcer (Omeprazole) became unavailable in my country of residence and was replaced by Patoprazole. I started taking it yesterday morning and by midday today the side effects were unbearable. I am nauseous, have diarrhea, and a very severe headache. This didn't happen with Omeprazole. Do you think this is a drug interaction or is there some difference between the two that I am perhaps sensitive to?
- Has anyone been prescribed methotrexate for granuloma annulare?
I have had GA for 2 years now, however it has gotten progressively worse the past 6 months. It has now spread over 80% of my body. I am seeing an Endocrinologist next week as I believe my thyroid may play a big role in this. My Regular Dr. suggested I speak to Endocrinologist about a drug called Methotrexate. Has anyone taken this for GA, and if so, can you please tell me if it is working, side effects etc?
I am desperate for some relief!
- I have been on armour 8 days started at 1 grain after having been on 88 mcg synthroid.
Was on 88mcg synthroid. Test was 4.75 tsh and low t3 3.3. Switched 8 days ago to 1 grain armour and now feel shaky. Pulse 90. Had diarrhea and vomiting last night at 1 in am. Is it working too fast? Felt good earlier in week and slept all night for first time in months.
More questions for: Atenolol, Hypothyroidism
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Excessive menstrual cycle bleeding??? here's a possible answer!
I take Hydrochlorothiazide 25mg and Atenolol 50mg daily for high blood pressure. I have had every exam known to man and all blood work and test results come back clear with no indications of a reason as to why my pressure is high. Needless to say, I take the meds and my blood pressure is controlled. I went to the dentist yesterday to have a filling replaced, the doctor gave me a novocaine injection, did the work and I was out of there happy as a pig in mud. The doctor did not ask if I was on my menstrual cycle and today I realize why he should have. I have to use the restroom every 15 minutes MAXIMUM, to change my sanitary napkin and release the blood that has accumulated in my vaginal canal. Wearing a tampon is not even an option! There is no pain however it is so gross. I once took 2 excedrin while on my cycle and had the mini version of what is happening now. Needless to say, the combination of hydrochlorothiazide and novocaine should not be mixed especially during your menstrual cycle.
- Victoza and liver cancer (cholangiocarcinoma)
My husband was recently diagnosed with stage 4 liver cancer after taking Victoza for several years. The doctor discontinued the Victoza when the cancer was diagnosed but he actually started feeling better after he stopped it until the cancer started progressing. Since cholangiocarcinoma nd pancreatic cancer are similar, is there a link between Victoza and cholangiocarcinoma?
- Melatonin reduces essential tremor of the hand
After taking Melatonin 1mg as a sleep aid for several nights, I noticed that my essential tremor of the hand was showing improvement. Within a week the tremor was almost unnoticeable, and I could print and write neatly, even when slightly stressed at work. I haven't seen this response reported anywhere else; have other people noticed this effect?
- Shortness of breath after taking levothyroxine for 8-10 yrs.
I have been experiencing shortness of breath lately when taking the levothyroxine. If I stop taking it for a couple of days my shortness of breath is pretty much gone.
- Losartan cause deep vein thrombosis
have had two knee surgeries ,a lumbar decompression, after this three surgeries start taken Losartan potassium and two months later have had a lumbar fusion after this I suffered a Deep Vein Thrombosis, continues taken Losartan for more of year and half, I notice is a bad combination when my older physician increase high dose of Warfarin I was losing mi Vision and stopped Losartan by my self and my vision is great now. my new physician told me that is OK that I had stopped taken Losartan. and I strongly believe that this cause me the DVT.
More reviews for: Atenolol, Hypothyroidism
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- I take 25 mg Atenolol and 250 mg magnesium citrate sometimes at same time. I was recently diagnosed with afib and had a TIA. Could combining atenolol and magnesium cause this. My doctors and pharmacist are aware I take both of these, but have made no comments about an interaction. I did find info o ...
- Doctors asked if I had an infection. I saw an infectious disease doctor and he tested everything and said no infections, hidden or obvious. WBC and platelet counts elevate when i am on diamox. Doctors do not beleive me since diamox is known to decrease WBC, however, when I weaned myself off it slow ...
- I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism in Sept. 2012 after 6 yrs. of taking Tramadol 50mg. I had gotten it under control using Red Yeast Rice 200mg 3 times a day, Niacin, and Multi-vitamin with iodine. I was told to eat more fish and add iodized salt to my diet which I had done. Then after starting t ...
- Just noticed a few tiny dots of nipple discharge from clear to light brown when one nipple is squeezed. NOTE: One year ago had small red blood dots from OTHER nipple, spontaneous. Had many tests (see below) and saw a breast surgeon --- result: bleeding thought to be due to trauma (stabbed myself ...
- Concern about allopurinol having exacerbated peripheral neuropathy
Also concerned about drugs and their interactions causing ED if I stop taking blood pressure meds incidence of ED is reduced considerably.
More related studies for: Atenolol, Hypothyroidism
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.