From FDA reports: Atenolol and Peripheral neuropathy
This is a study of Peripheral neuropathy among people who take Atenolol. The study analyzes: the time on Atenolol when people have Peripheral neuropathy, gender and age of these people, the severity of Peripheral neuropathy, how they recovered, and common conditions and drugs used besides Atenolol. In total 75,407 Atenolol users are studied. The study is created by eHealthMe based on reports from FDA and is updated regularly.
Do you have a question? Healthcare is personal: a drug can work differently between women and men, or for people of different ages. How do you find patients like you to answer your question? On eHealthMe, we invite your personal health network to answer your question. Start now
Atenolol has active ingredients of atenolol. It is used in high blood pressure, heart palpitations, tachycardia, heart rate increased, heart rate irregular. Commonly reported side effects of Atenolol include nausea, weakness, fatigue, pain, dizziness.
Peripheral neuropathy has been reported by people with multiple myeloma, diabetes, high blood cholesterol, pain, high blood pressure.
On May, 24, 2013: 75,407 people reported to have side effects when taking Atenolol. Among them, 179 people (0.24%) have Peripheral Neuropathy.
Time on Atenolol when people have Peripheral neuropathy * :
Gender of people who have Peripheral neuropathy when taking Atenolol * :
|Peripheral neuropathy||49.19%||50.81% |
Age of people who have Peripheral neuropathy when taking Atenolol * :
|Peripheral neuropathy||0.00%||1.29%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||10.97%||28.39%||59.35% |
Severity of Peripheral neuropathy when taking Atenolol ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Peripheral neuropathy||0.00%||75.00%||25.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Peripheral neuropathy ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Peripheral neuropathy||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Neuropathy (13 people, 7.26%)
- Blood cholesterol increased (11 people, 6.15%)
- Hypertension (8 people, 4.47%)
- Rheumatoid arthritis (6 people, 3.35%)
- Multiple myeloma (5 people, 2.79%)
Login or sign up (it's free) to view more results.
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (29 people, 16.20%)
- Lipitor (25 people, 13.97%)
- Neurontin (19 people, 10.61%)
- Lasix (17 people, 9.50%)
- Acetylsalicylic acid srt (17 people, 9.50%)
Login or sign up (it's free) to view more results.
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
(If the study does not answer your question, use Personalized Q&A)
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Next: check whether peripheral neuropathy is from a drug or a condition
You can also:
On eHealthMe, Atenolol (atenolol) is often used for high blood pressure. Find out below the conditions Atenolol is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Atenolol used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
Browse Atenolol side effects from A to Z:
Browse Atenolol drug interactions with drugs from A to Z:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Related personalized Q&As (what is this?):
- Does smoking marijuana while being treated for periperal artery disease worsen the disease?
(for a 61 year old woman who has Peripheral Artery Disease, and takes Warfarin Sodium, Pletal, Lipitor, Ambien, Atenolol, Wellbutrin Xl)
I've had two bi-femoral bypass grafts that have failed due to over-healing. I have a stent in my left leg and the right leg has had to find it's own blood flow as a stent couldn't be introduced. I have burning pain in my toes in the right leg. It is like the pain I had when my toes turned black 3 ...
(Members of the personal health network: 5,318)
- The last 3 years i have been experiences excessive sweating when doing minor things. this is new for me. i have a history of crohn's disease and have developed arthritis the last 4 years.
(for a 62 year old man who has Arhtritis, Crohn's Disease, Sweating - Excessive, and takes Pramipexole Dihydrochloride, Sulfasalazine, Effexor, Atenolol, Folic Acid, Diphenoxylate Hydrochloride W/ Atropine Sulfate, Methotrexate, Omeprazole, Celebrex)
I have dealt with Crohn's disease for 40 years. I've had several bowel resections, and live with diarrhea. Within the last 5 years I developed severe arthritis in my feet. The doctors felt everything is auto-immune related. I had the bone in both feet fused to lessen the pain. For the past 4 years I ...
(Members of the personal health network: 4,366)
- Can atenolol cramp muscles and cause severe anxiety with physical and mental pain?
(for a 56 year old woman who has Fast Heart Rate , and takes Elavil, Percocet, Atenolol)
Was taken elavil for "pain" management then prescribed atenolol for fast heart rate (which I find out the elavil caused )..the atenolol was an absolute painful nightmare.
It made me physically and mentally very ill.
Went to ER for muscle cramping,dizziness,body ache from the inside out,anxiety,agi ...
(Members of the personal health network: 1,980)
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent drug studies on eHealthMe:
- Depo-provera, Nicorette, Phentermine, Xanax, Lisinopril for a 33-year old woman who has Birth Control, Cessation Of Smoking, Obesity, Anxiety, Hypertension (45 minutes ago)
- Testosterone for a 29-year old woman who has Low Testosterone (59 minutes ago)
- Zoloft for a 22-year old man who has Depression (1 hour ago)
- Zanaflex for a 55-year old man who has Muscle Spasms (2 hours ago)
- Tramadol for a 37-year old woman who has Sacroiliitis (2 hours ago)
- Levothyroxine Thyroid for a 59-year old woman who has Hypothyroidism (3 hours ago)
- Simvastatin, HCTZ for a 58-year old woman who has High Cholestoral, High Blood Pressure (3 hours ago)
- Prozac for a 47-year old woman who has Depression (3 hours ago)
- Seroquel for a 37-year old woman who has Insomnia (3 hours ago)
- Atarax, Zoloft for a 27-year old woman who has Panic Attack, Depression (3 hours ago)