Review: could Ativan cause Hair loss?
Summary: Hair loss is found among people who take Ativan, especially for people who are female, 40-49 old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Zometa, and have Eczema.
We study 33,028 people who have side effects while taking Ativan from FDA and social media. Among them, 423 have Hair loss. Find out below who they are, when they have Hair loss and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Ativan and have Hair loss >>>
Ativan has active ingredients of lorazepam. It is often used in stress and anxiety. (latest outcomes from Ativan 35,203 users)
Hair loss has been reported by people with high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, high blood cholesterol, multiple sclerosis, depression.(latest reports from Hair loss 41,549 patients)
On Nov, 27, 2014: 33,026 people reported to have side effects when taking Ativan. Among them, 423 people (1.28%) have Hair Loss.
Time on Ativan when people have Hair loss * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Hair loss||28.57%||0.00%||28.57%||0.00%||14.29%||0.00%||28.57% |
Gender of people who have Hair loss when taking Ativan * :
|Hair loss||87.80%||12.20% |
Age of people who have Hair loss when taking Ativan * :
|Hair loss||0.27%||0.00%||0.00%||8.13%||11.38%||38.75%||20.05%||21.41% |
Severity of Hair loss when taking Ativan ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Hair loss||14.29%||28.57%||42.86%||14.29% |
How people recovered from Hair loss ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Hair loss||0.00%||16.67%||83.33% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Eczema (49 people, 11.58%)
- Anxiety (47 people, 11.11%)
- Breast cancer (39 people, 9.22%)
- Depression (29 people, 6.86%)
- Osteoporosis (24 people, 5.67%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Zometa (129 people, 30.50%)
- Aredia (87 people, 20.57%)
- Zofran (86 people, 20.33%)
- Aspirin (81 people, 19.15%)
- Percocet (79 people, 18.68%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Hair Loss while taking Ativan?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Ativan and have Hair Loss
- support group for people who take Ativan
- support group for people who have Hair Loss
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
More questions for: Ativan, Hair loss
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Hair loss with enbrel
I have been on Enbrel for 4 months and started seeing significant hair thinning at the second month of treatments (50 mg once per week). My Rhuematologist suggested 800 mcg of folic acid. I am still losing hair although I am feeling so much better.
- Hair loss with metformin hydrochloride usage
I have been taking the drug Metformin Hydrochloride for about 5 months and definitely find that I am losing hair which is a problem I have never experienced. Always had the healthiest hair, no problems. Well, I am finding that I am losing lair significantly and feel that the manufacturer of this drug should post that this is a side effect as so many have been complaining of the same side effect. I also began having problems with my teeth and always prided myself of having great teeth with no problems. I also understand that if there is a deficiency of Vitamin B12 that this together with taking this drug can cause these issues of hair loss and mouth/teeth problems. Again; I feel this should be totally and more readily informed to anyone taking this drug. I don't feel that anyone should have to give up things important to them to maintain a healthy way of living...I am going to see my physician and discuss what other options that may exist as I am not feeling very comfortable with this drug and the side effects I am experiencing.
- Lorazepam nearly killed me during cancer treatment
Day 31 of cold turkey and I want to die. It is a roller coaster from body tics and sweats to rage and crying in one day. I felt so good the 4h day of c/t. It was like before my cancer diagnosis. My bowels are better off Lorazepam. I threw up during bowel movements from the pain. Off Lorazepam first normal bowel movement in over 2 years. Stomach so damaged by Lorazepam that I have absolutely no appetite. I force myself to eat. Neuropathy in hands nearly gone. Feet are better but slower. Lymphedema that appeared after one year on Lorazepam is now gone. I have full range of motion.
- Double vision on levothyroxine
Diagnosed with under active thyroid in January 2011. Noticed onset of double vision in January 2014. Blurred vision and double vision worsened to such an extent that my glasses prescription has changed three times in less than 7 months. All the symptons I experience are a direct result of taking Levothyrixine and have increased as my dose has been increased.
- Sleep apnea and vertigo
Previous to Lorazepam, I was taking Mekclezine. Both makes me feel worst longer with vertigo. Usually when I fall asleep without my mouth guard, I get a serious bout of Vertigo for several days and the medications just cause more dizziness and the problem last even longer. I also find when I am under extreme stress, I acquire a bout vertigo as well. I am getting a better mouth guard made because the sleep apnea gets worse, the guard has gotten worn and my air way is getting blocked again, causes lack of oxygen and lack of oxygen causes dizziness. Which means to me one causes the other.
More reviews for: Ativan, Hair loss
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- Has complained of dizziness since she has been on all her meds and has fallen several times.. Have been concerned about her dizziness and have brought it up to her Dr.'s but since all her med's can make you dizzy they don't seem to be concerned and aren't willing to change any of them. Just started ...
- *I have noticed breakage of hair.Trying to use coconut and olive oil for hair.Not used on scalp.
*I first noticed thinning after using selenium face wash.I was told I could use it on my scalp. But I looked online and saw that it could cause hairloss. I quit using it after a few tries on my face ...
- I have just started on Orencia this month but was was taken off of Cimzia as it was no longer effective. I have noticed over the last year that 2/3 of my hair has thinned to very little.. thin and weak.
- Had bouts of insomnia, digesting certain foods, I dealt with all of this including the hair loss.. Which I am grateful didn't last longer then two months( my hair was just falling out in clumps during that time)..my concerns now are the styes that I have been getting over the course of the past two ...
- Patient has been declining after increased marijuana usage. Graves disease like symptoms with weight loss, bulging eyes, mood disorder, lethargic, and loss of appetite. Increased depression and dependency on substances has drastically changed. Appearance and facial structures are predominate.
More related studies for: Ativan, Hair loss
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.