Review: could Azathioprine cause Drug resistance?
Summary: Drug resistance is found among people who take Azathioprine, especially for people who are male, 20-29 old, have been taking the drug for 5 - 10 years, also take medication Prednisolone, and have Pemphigus.
We study 14,256 people who have side effects while taking Azathioprine from FDA and social media. Among them, 41 have Drug resistance. Find out below who they are, when they have Drug resistance and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Azathioprine and have Drug resistance >>>
Azathioprine has active ingredients of azathioprine sodium. It is often used in crohn's disease. (latest outcomes from 14,447 Azathioprine users)
Drug resistance (reduction in effectiveness of a drug) has been reported by people with hiv infection, hepatitis b, human immunodeficiency virus transmission, gastrointestinal stromal tumour, high blood pressure. (latest reports from 2,443 Drug resistance patients)
On Mar, 29, 2015: 14,253 people reported to have side effects when taking Azathioprine. Among them, 41 people (0.29%) have Drug Resistance.
Time on Azathioprine when people have Drug resistance * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Drug resistance||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||100.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Drug resistance when taking Azathioprine * :
|Drug resistance||40.48%||59.52% |
Age of people who have Drug resistance when taking Azathioprine * :
|Drug resistance||0.00%||0.00%||4.88%||34.15%||12.20%||14.63%||24.39%||9.76% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Pemphigus (14 people, 34.15%)
- Crohn's disease (6 people, 14.63%)
- Autoimmune hepatitis (6 people, 14.63%)
- Renal transplant (4 people, 9.76%)
- Heart transplant (3 people, 7.32%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Prednisolone (21 people, 51.22%)
- Mycophenolic acid (14 people, 34.15%)
- Cyclosporine (13 people, 31.71%)
- Mycophenolate mofetil (9 people, 21.95%)
- Rituximab (7 people, 17.07%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of azathioprine and drug resistance on
Do you have Drug Resistance while taking Azathioprine?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Azathioprine and have Drug Resistance
- support group for people who take Azathioprine
- support group for people who have Drug Resistance
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Azathioprine for a 23-year old woman with Crohn's Disease. The patient has Dermatitis Atopic, Nausea, Dry Mouth
- A study of side effects of Azathioprine for a 18-year old boy with Crohn's Disease. The patient has Unable To Get Pregnant, Tiredness
- A study of drug interactions between Paxil, Clonazepam, Azathioprine, Zorvolex, Humira for a 42-year old woman with Anxiety Disorder, Rheumatoid Arthritis. The patient has Diarrhea, Weight Loss
- A study of side effects of Azathioprine for a 47-year old woman with Liver Disease Test Panel - Autoimmune. The patient has Enbrel
- A study of drug interactions between Losartan, Azathioprine for a 46-year old woman with High Blood Pressure, Sle. The patient has Acid Reflux
Recent Azathioprine related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Azathioprine, Zolpidem for a 82-year old woman who has Insomnia, Auto Immune Disease, Neuropathy, Spinal Stenosis, High Blood Pressure
- Comparions of Labetalol Hydrochloride, Lisinopril, Prednisone, Azathioprine, Cyclosporine for a 52-year old man who has Milk Thistle
- Comparions of Azathioprine, Methotrexate, Cyclophosphamide, Rituxan, Mycophenolate Mofetil for a 21-year old woman who has Wegener's Granulomatosis
- Comparions of Tacrolimus, Mycophenolate Mofetil, Prednisone, Azathioprine, Cyclosporine for a 27-year old woman who has Heart Transplant Rejection
- Comparions of Effexor Xr, Clonazepam, Azathioprine, Pentasa, Entocort Ec for a 34-year old man who has Crohn's Disease
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.