Review: could Azathioprine cause Hair thinning (Hair loss)?
Summary: Hair thinning is found among people who take Azathioprine, especially for people who are female, 30-39 old, have been taking the drug for 5 - 10 years, also take medication Prednisone, and have Crohn's disease.
We study 14,253 people who have side effects while taking Azathioprine from FDA and social media. Among them, 136 have Hair thinning. Find out below who they are, when they have Hair thinning and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Azathioprine and have Hair thinning >>>
Azathioprine has active ingredients of azathioprine sodium. It is often used in crohn's disease. (latest outcomes from 14,445 Azathioprine users)
Hair thinning has been reported by people with high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, high blood cholesterol, multiple sclerosis, depression. (latest reports from 42,736 Hair thinning patients)
On Mar, 6, 2015: 14,253 people reported to have side effects when taking Azathioprine. Among them, 136 people (0.95%) have Hair Thinning.
Time on Azathioprine when people have Hair thinning * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Hair thinning||9.09%||18.18%||18.18%||9.09%||9.09%||36.36%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Hair thinning when taking Azathioprine * :
|Hair thinning||87.77%||12.23% |
Age of people who have Hair thinning when taking Azathioprine * :
|Hair thinning||0.00%||2.56%||7.69%||20.51%||23.08%||11.11%||13.68%||21.37% |
Severity of Hair thinning when taking Azathioprine ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Hair thinning||40.00%||60.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Hair thinning ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Hair thinning||0.00%||33.33%||66.67% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Crohn's disease (36 people, 26.47%)
- Rheumatoid arthritis (15 people, 11.03%)
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (14 people, 10.29%)
- Depression (12 people, 8.82%)
- Colitis ulcerative (10 people, 7.35%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Prednisone (31 people, 22.79%)
- Humira (26 people, 19.12%)
- Prograf (20 people, 14.71%)
- Remicade (19 people, 13.97%)
- Prednisolone (16 people, 11.76%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Hair Thinning while taking Azathioprine?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Azathioprine and have Hair Thinning
- support group for people who take Azathioprine
- support group for people who have Hair Thinning
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Azathioprine for a 23-year old woman with Crohn's Disease. The patient has Dermatitis Atopic, Nausea, Dry Mouth
- A study of drug interactions between Depo-medrol, Ibuprofen, Prednisolone, Zorvolex, Esomeprazole Sodium, Tramadol, Zolpidem, Diazepam, Midazolam Hydrochloride, Fluoxetine Hydrochloride for a 40-year old woman with Orthopedic Pain - Articular Infiltration, Orthopedic Pain, Gastric Ph, Insomnia, Depression. The patient has Hair Loss, Eosinophilic Pustular Foliculitis, Caries, Presbyopia
- A study of drug interactions between Trazodone Hydrochloride, Skelaxin, Ultram, Lyrica, Cymbalta for a 54-year old woman with Sleep Disorder, Back Pain, Fibromyalgia. The patient has Hair Loss
- A study of side effects of Zoloft for a 55-year old woman with PTSD. The patient has Hair Loss
- A study of side effects of Brilinta for a 61-year old woman with Vascular Graft Occlusion. The patient has Hair Loss
Recent Azathioprine related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Azathioprine, Zolpidem for a 82-year old woman who has Insomnia, Auto Immune Disease, Neuropathy, Spinal Stenosis, High Blood Pressure
- Comparions of Labetalol Hydrochloride, Lisinopril, Prednisone, Azathioprine, Cyclosporine for a 52-year old man who has Milk Thistle
- Comparions of Azathioprine, Methotrexate, Cyclophosphamide, Rituxan, Mycophenolate Mofetil for a 21-year old woman who has Wegener's Granulomatosis
- Comparions of Tacrolimus, Mycophenolate Mofetil, Prednisone, Azathioprine, Cyclosporine for a 27-year old woman who has Heart Transplant Rejection
- Comparions of Effexor Xr, Clonazepam, Azathioprine, Pentasa, Entocort Ec for a 34-year old man who has Crohn's Disease
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.