Review: could Azathioprine cause Heartburn (Gastroesophageal reflux disease)?
Summary: Heartburn is found among people who take Azathioprine, especially for people who are male, 30-39 old, have been taking the drug for 5 - 10 years, also take medication Capecitabine, and have Crohn's disease.
We study 14,256 people who have side effects while taking Azathioprine from FDA and social media. Among them, 13 have Heartburn. Find out below who they are, when they have Heartburn and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Azathioprine and have Heartburn >>>
Azathioprine has active ingredients of azathioprine sodium. It is often used in crohn's disease. (latest outcomes from 14,447 Azathioprine users)
Heartburn (a condition in which stomach contents leak backward from the stomach into the oesophagus) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, depression, high blood cholesterol, osteoporosis, pain. (latest reports from 19,308 Heartburn patients)
On Mar, 31, 2015: 14,253 people reported to have side effects when taking Azathioprine. Among them, 13 people (0.09%) have Heartburn.
Time on Azathioprine when people have Heartburn * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Heartburn when taking Azathioprine * :
Age of people who have Heartburn when taking Azathioprine * :
Severity of Heartburn when taking Azathioprine ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Heartburn ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Crohn's disease (6 people, 46.15%)
- Colon cancer (3 people, 23.08%)
- Immunosuppression (1 people, 7.69%)
- Colitis (1 people, 7.69%)
- Acne (1 people, 7.69%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Capecitabine (4 people, 30.77%)
- Eloxatin (2 people, 15.38%)
- Oxaliplatin (2 people, 15.38%)
- Remicade (2 people, 15.38%)
- Felodipine (1 people, 7.69%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of azathioprine and heartburn on
Do you have Heartburn while taking Azathioprine?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Azathioprine and have Heartburn
- support group for people who take Azathioprine
- support group for people who have Heartburn
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Levonorgestrel And Ethinyl Estradiol, Citalopram Hydrobromide for a 37-year old woman with Contraception, Depression. The patient has Asthma, Gerd, Cough
- A study of side effects of Levaquin for a 49-year old woman with Respiratory Disorder. The patient has Back Pain, Knee Pain, Skin Burning Sensation, Skin Sensitisation, Sun-induced Skin Changes - Keratosis, Paralysis, Headache - Mixed Tension Migraine, Headache - Migraine With Aura, Tendon Pain, Gerd, Vision Impairment, Coronary Artery Spasm, Neuropathy
- A study of side effects of Xanax for a 21-year old woman with Anxiety. The patient has Occasional Outbreak Of What Seems Like Insect Bites Underneath My Thigh, Reflux, Dizziness
- A study of side effects of Janumet for a 55-year old woman with Diabetes Mellitus Insulin-dependent. The patient has Heartburn - Chronic
- A study of drug interactions between Irbesartan, Symbicort for a 57-year old woman with Blood Pressure, Breathing Difficulty. The patient has Acid Reflux
Recent Azathioprine related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Azathioprine, Zolpidem for a 82-year old woman who has Insomnia, Auto Immune Disease, Neuropathy, Spinal Stenosis, High Blood Pressure
- Comparions of Labetalol Hydrochloride, Lisinopril, Prednisone, Azathioprine, Cyclosporine for a 52-year old man who has Milk Thistle
- Comparions of Azathioprine, Methotrexate, Cyclophosphamide, Rituxan, Mycophenolate Mofetil for a 21-year old woman who has Wegener's Granulomatosis
- Comparions of Tacrolimus, Mycophenolate Mofetil, Prednisone, Azathioprine, Cyclosporine for a 27-year old woman who has Heart Transplant Rejection
- Comparions of Effexor Xr, Clonazepam, Azathioprine, Pentasa, Entocort Ec for a 34-year old man who has Crohn's Disease
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.