Review: could Azithromycin cause Atrial fibrillation (Atrial fibrillation/flutter)?
Summary: Atrial fibrillation is found among people who take Azithromycin, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Digoxin, and have Atrial fibrillation/flutter.
We study 10,949 people who have side effects while taking Azithromycin from FDA and social media. Among them, 273 have Atrial fibrillation. Find out below who they are, when they have Atrial fibrillation and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Azithromycin and have Atrial fibrillation >>>
Azithromycin has active ingredients of azithromycin. It is often used in sinusitis. (latest outcomes from 12,357 Azithromycin users)
Atrial fibrillation (fibrillation of the muscles of the atria of the heart) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis, diabetes, multiple myeloma. (latest reports from 87,267 Atrial fibrillation patients)
On Mar, 16, 2015: 10,949 people reported to have side effects when taking Azithromycin. Among them, 275 people (2.51%) have Atrial Fibrillation.
Time on Azithromycin when people have Atrial fibrillation * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Atrial fibrillation||93.33%||0.00%||0.00%||6.67%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Atrial fibrillation when taking Azithromycin * :
|Atrial fibrillation||50.00%||50.00% |
Age of people who have Atrial fibrillation when taking Azithromycin * :
|Atrial fibrillation||0.00%||0.00%||1.92%||1.15%||6.92%||8.46%||18.85%||62.69% |
Severity of Atrial fibrillation when taking Azithromycin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Atrial fibrillation||50.00%||0.00%||50.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Atrial fibrillation ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Atrial fibrillation||100.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Atrial fibrillation (34 people, 12.36%)
- Prophylaxis (13 people, 4.73%)
- Multiple myeloma (13 people, 4.73%)
- Hiv infection (12 people, 4.36%)
- Light chain analysis increased (12 people, 4.36%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Digoxin (153 people, 55.64%)
- Aspirin (130 people, 47.27%)
- Albuterol (107 people, 38.91%)
- Furosemide (101 people, 36.73%)
- Levaquin (96 people, 34.91%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of azithromycin and atrial fibrillation on
Do you have Atrial Fibrillation while taking Azithromycin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Azithromycin and have Atrial Fibrillation
- support group for people who take Azithromycin
- support group for people who have Atrial Fibrillation
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Azithromycin, Methylprednisolone for a 52-year old woman with Upper Respiratory Tract Infection, Upper Respiratory Tract Inflammation. The patient has High Blood Pressure, Back Pain - Low, Diarrhea Associated With Medications, Insomnia, Headache - Migraine Without Aura
- A study of side effects of Acebutolol Hydrochloride for a 70-year old woman with Afib. The patient has Atrial Fibrillation (fibrillation of the muscles of the atria of the heart)
- A study of drug interactions between Aspirin, Xanax, Percocet, Clonazepam, Diltiazem Hydrochloride for a 53-year old woman with Blood Clots, Anxiety, Headache, Atrial Fibrillation. The patient has Anxiety, Atrial Fibrillation
- A study of drug interactions between Paracetamol, Azithromycin for a 35-year old man with Fever, Upper Respiratory Tract Infection. The patient has Ear Infection
- A study of side effects of Metoprolol Tartrate for a 57-year old man with High Blood Pressure. The patient has Atrial Fibrillation/flutter (atrial fibrillation and flutter are abnormal heart rhythms in which the atria, or upper chambers of the heart, are out of sync with the ventricles)
Recent Azithromycin related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.