Azithromycin and Clostridium difficile colitis - from FDA reports
Clostridium difficile colitis is found among people who take Azithromycin, especially for people who are male, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Omeprazole, and have Pseudomonas infection. This review analyzes which people have Clostridium difficile colitis with Azithromycin. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 17,267 people who have side effects when taking Azithromycin from FDA, and is updated regularly.
What to expect?
You are not alone!
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
On May, 16, 2017
17,267 people reported to have side effects when taking Azithromycin.
Among them, 81 people (0.47%) have Clostridium Difficile Colitis
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Azithromycin when people have Clostridium Difficile Colitis *:
- < 1 month: 86.36 %
- 1 - 6 months: 4.55 %
- 6 - 12 months: 4.55 %
- 1 - 2 years: 0.0 %
- 2 - 5 years: 4.55 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.0 %
- 10+ years: 0.0 %
Gender of people who have Clostridium Difficile Colitis when taking Azithromycin *:
- female: 29.49 %
- male: 70.51 %
Age of people who have Clostridium Difficile Colitis when taking Azithromycin *:
- 0-1: 2.86 %
- 2-9: 2.86 %
- 10-19: 1.43 %
- 20-29: 15.71 %
- 30-39: 28.57 %
- 40-49: 5.71 %
- 50-59: 12.86 %
- 60+: 30.0 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Pseudomonas Infection (18 people, 22.22%)
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (15 people, 18.52%)
- Mycobacterium Abscessus Infection (13 people, 16.05%)
- Preventive Health Care (6 people, 7.41%)
- High Blood Pressure (6 people, 7.41%)
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Omeprazole (30 people, 37.04%)
- Meropenem (25 people, 30.86%)
- Clarithromycin (19 people, 23.46%)
- Metronidazole (15 people, 18.52%)
- Tobi (12 people, 14.81%)
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Dehydration (35 people, 43.21%)
- Hypotension (29 people, 35.80%)
- Arrhythmias (29 people, 35.80%)
- Pseudomembranous Colitis (28 people, 34.57%)
- Fever (25 people, 30.86%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Clostridium difficile colitis when taking Azithromycin?
- Check symptoms - is clostridium difficile colitis caused by a drug or a condition?
- Get alerts to symptoms - forecast your symptoms and get alerts
- Join related support groups - you are not alone, join a support group on ehealth.me
- Report the side effect - help people in need and in real time
- More tools...
Azithromycin has active ingredients of azithromycin. It is often used in sinusitis. (latest outcomes from Azithromycin 19,421 users)
Clostridium Difficile Colitis
Clostridium difficile colitis (inflammation of colon by clostridium difficile bacteria infection) has been reported by people with multiple myeloma, high blood pressure, pain, osteoporosis, multiple sclerosis (latest reports from 6,535 Clostridium difficile colitis patients).
Browse all side effects of Azithromycina b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Drugs that are associated with Clostridium difficile colitisClostridium difficile colitis
Could your condition cause Clostridium difficile colitisClostridium difficile colitis
- Pseudomonas infection and Clostridium difficile colitis
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease and Clostridium difficile colitis
- Mycobacterium abscessus infection and Clostridium difficile colitis
- Preventive health care and Clostridium difficile colitis
- High blood pressure and Clostridium difficile colitis
What would happen?
Can you answer these questions?
I was just wondering if it is normal that I am spotting on the first dose of Azithromycin. I just got over my period a week ago and now I'm spotting.. Just really nervous it can be something more serious.
I went to hosp in severe pain around my front rib to back...like a band. The pain would come so sharply then fade. Previously I experienced tingling and numbness in that area. They sent me home with zithromax. Now I rash. Am pretty sure I have shingles. Is zithromax dangerous with shingles
Was on metronidazole for c diff which didn't work to get rid of it. Wondering now if this oral vancomycin medication will do the job that the other couldn't do. So far this new medication has given me a very bad stiff neck. Has anyone taken this and it cured your c diff.
You may be interested in these reviews
I was prescribed a 5 day course of azithromycin to deal with a sinus infection. After about 3 days on the meds I began to notice severe pain in my knees and hips that really affected by ability to walk. I already have a bad knee needing a replacement but this was affecting my other knee also ...
Hi , About a month ago I had a bad upper respiratory infection and was prescribed an antibiotic called zpack. Ever since then I have lost about 90 % of my ability to smelll and taste. I keep,n hoping it will come back but it does not . Does anyone have any suggestions on something I should ...
Here is an article on this: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2921747/ It states dexamethasone (which I was given), a corticosteroid should not be used if you have a fungal infection which I believe I had from blowing leaves. Another source, Mayo Clinic also stated that 93% of ...