Review: could Azithromycin cause Constipation?
Summary: Constipation is found among people who take Azithromycin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Zometa, and have Breast cancer metastatic.
We study 10,940 people who have side effects while taking Azithromycin from FDA and social media. Among them, 316 have Constipation. Find out below who they are, when they have Constipation and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Azithromycin and have Constipation >>>
Azithromycin has active ingredients of azithromycin. It is often used in sinusitis. (latest outcomes from Azithromycin 12,345 users)
Constipation has been reported by people with osteoporosis, pain, high blood pressure, depression, high blood cholesterol.(latest reports from Constipation 80,049 patients)
On Dec, 14, 2014: 10,940 people reported to have side effects when taking Azithromycin. Among them, 316 people (2.89%) have Constipation.
Time on Azithromycin when people have Constipation * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Constipation when taking Azithromycin * :
Age of people who have Constipation when taking Azithromycin * :
Severity of Constipation when taking Azithromycin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Constipation ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Breast cancer metastatic (42 people, 13.29%)
- Hypercalcaemia (32 people, 10.13%)
- Pain (31 people, 9.81%)
- Breast cancer (29 people, 9.18%)
- Depression (23 people, 7.28%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Zometa (127 people, 40.19%)
- Ambien (103 people, 32.59%)
- Aspirin (94 people, 29.75%)
- Prednisone (93 people, 29.43%)
- Lipitor (84 people, 26.58%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Constipation while taking Azithromycin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Azithromycin and have Constipation
- support group for people who take Azithromycin
- support group for people who have Constipation
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Cymbalta r/t autonomic neuropathy
losartan 20 mg
tired all the time, dizziness, chronic constipation, stomach pains, pins and needles, diabetic type 2 hx alcoholism resolved, gerd, early satiety
- Gastro with constipation in a 4 year old only cause pain at night?
In childrens hospital now have given the tag virus for stomach pain at night that is relieved by morphine
- Can my symptoms actually pinpoint a cause/condition? (1 answer)
I would just like insight on this. I'm on pain management right now, but it's just to manage the pain. Every thing else has really been not taken serious by any physican it office I've been to. Is this normal stuff many woman go through? I'm just sick of feeling like this between the constant pain & the daily having to pluck hairs it's insane. I'm in fantastic shape(used to be double my weight & now I'm 100lbs), the best looking I've ever been with a incredibly good looking husband & a wonderful family. My issues seem to detour a lot of things & while I'm young I'd like to get this solved or some type of solution to even maintain myself, not looking for a miracle, but would really appreciate answers.
- Can 100mg doxycycline hyclate be taken at the same time with zithromax?
Patient was bitten by a deer tick and is taking doxycycline as preventive measure. A throat infection is developing for which the doxycycline seems to have no effect, though azithromycin has proven rapidly effective in the past. Should the doxycycline be discontinued during the azithromycin cycle? Or is the doxycycline cycle crucial?
- Do i need to temporarily stop taking my enbrel and methotrexate (that i take every week) while i am on azithromycin for severe cold symptoms? (1 answer)
i have RA and take Enbrel and methotrexate every week. i am currently taking azithromycin, tussicaps and dexamethasone to treat a severe cold, cough, sore throat, etc. My question is should i stop taking the ra meds until my antibiotics and steroids are done? Or should i just continue as normal, don't want to get sicker than i already am!!!! thanks
More questions for: Azithromycin, Constipation
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Adverse effect of azithromycin
patients immunesystem showed very bad response to azithromycin adminstered as 1000mg per day 3 days and then 1000mg once a week for 6 weeks -
a previously chronic sinuitis flared up as did a over 30 year old infection in a broken toe -
dicillin was given for 10 days 3000mg per day / 1000mg 3 times daily - with good effect -
the patents journal shows evidence of similar occurence a decade ago when taking Klacid uno also of the macrolid family -
it appears macrolids can have severe adverse effect on some patients immunesystem
- Nexium improves my constipation
Started taking Nexium 1 week ago and I noticed improvement with my chronic constipation.
- I need advise, badly ckd!! (1 response)
The orthostatic BP started in mid April, I was only dizzy upon wakening then it would subside. I have never been a big breakfast eater so I started doing that. We were in Disney later in April and I was extremely fatigued, to the point of not wanting to walk, Disney would be the first time I passed out when getting dizzy. I of course said I had gotten too warm and was exhausted from work the previous week. The dizziness continued in the mornings & I passed out several more times. On May 1st, I passed out while putting my make-up on and hit my eye on the faucet and head on the tile floor, despite that I went to work thinking it would subside, it didn't. I went to the ER directly after work. They ran a B-met on me and my GFR was 11 and creatinine 3.95. They admitted me to a larger hospital for evaluation. While in there, they pumped me with fluids continuously, saying I had severe dehydration. My kidney function improved, my creatinine levels went back down to 1.34. After 5 days I was discharged and told to see a cardiologist and endo. The endo doc cancelled my appointment on the basis it was not his area. I had had a cortisol and ACTH testing which I guess was normal. I saw the cardiologist, who said it wasn't cardio. I had had an echocardiogram in the hospital and EKG monitoring. Cardio sent me to neurology, the PNRN did a basic neurological exam and drew blood for disease markers such as Lupus, sjorgens, hepatitis, ect. All disease markers came back negative, but my GFR was at 11 again and creatinine was 4.25, BUN 50 along with an elevated ACE level. They called me and said I sarcoidosis. I really don't have any of the primary S/S of this autoimmune disease. I don't know where to go from here, they are referring me to another neurologist at a bigger hospital. I can't live my normal life, can't walk on my feet due extreme pain and I pass out at least 2x a week, which is not good for my old body. My BP upon laying and sitting runs like 117/72, upon standing it drops to like 70/50-50/30. I am on 0.1 mg of florinef, I tried increasing it but then my legs swelled up for a gain of 23#. I talked to Mayo Clinic today and all there specialists are booked out thru December. I have to be able to work, I can't stay home any longer than September 8th! Please advise me!
- Trying to figure out my diagnosis . no doctor can figure it out (3 responses)
I have been having these fainting spells since I was 12 .. It starts with lower abdominal pain followed by feeling light headed then I black out and my body shakes kind of like a seizure but last a few seconds then I come to ..then I feel nausea and also I have chills
- Azithromycin side effect skin hyperpigmentation (1 response)
My 6-year-old daughter took 5-day course azithromycin 3 times in 5 months for sinus infections. Do not recall exactly when hyperpigmentation began appearing all over front of neck, but definitely by the 3rd month after initial dose, with subsequent darkening upon taking two more prescriptions within the 5 months. Disappeared after treating 1x/day for 2 days with aloe vera gel directly from the plant rubbed all over darkened areas; all hyperpigmentation scrubbed off with oatmeal/honey scrub on 3rd day. No recurrence until about 6 months later with minimal to moderate autumn sun exposure, recurrence all over front of neck again, even though never took azithromycin beyond the 3 prescriptions. About two weeks after this started, now entire side of one ankle is hyperpigmented. Very concerned how much more it will spread. Will up aloe vera gel application frequency in hopes to get rid of it. Stay away from this drug! It is definitely too new of a drug to be prescribing for kids!
More reviews for: Azithromycin, Constipation
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- did not have any good effect on the condition it was supposed to treat - i.e. folliculitis adversely it had detrimental effect on patients immune-system and chronic infections of the sinuses and a 30 year old infection of a toe showed their presence
- I'm 23 and pregnant & I was diagnosed with Chlymidia & prescribed Azithromycin by my OBGYN. As soon as I started taking the medicine brown discharge started appearing. It smells like normal discharge & nothing it bloody. I was just wondering of its the infection cleaning itself out.
- I have all these symptoms / ailments and I don't know which are related and what's not. I am not sure if what I am experiencing is due to stomach, bowels or anxiety. The anxiety could be caused by the stomach issues as well. It's usually when I'm in a car, bus, plane or train. It's frustrating b ...
- The symptoms listed above are from taking the carafate only. I have been on this for a week now taking it 3 times a day an hour before a meal at the same time daily. I feel bloated, constipated and am having a very hard stool then to diarrhea and it burns, I also feel as if gas is stuck in my abdome ...
- I was diagnosed with hiatal hernea 5 years ago via an endoscopy, which was done due to chronic complaints of the feeling of choking on "a ball of phlem in my throat", which turned out to be acid due to hernea. I have been taking pantoprazole nightly since then and it helps immensely. I have acid i ...
More related studies for: Azithromycin, Constipation
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.