Home > Azithromycin > Deafness > Azithromycin and Deafness
Review: could Azithromycin cause Deafness (Hearing loss)?
Summary: Deafness is found among people who take Azithromycin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Amoxicillin, and have Multiple myeloma.
We study 10,934 people who have side effects while taking Azithromycin from FDA and social media. Among them, 102 have Deafness. Find out below who they are, when they have Deafness and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Azithromycin and have Deafness >>>
Azithromycin (latest outcomes from 12,342 users) has active ingredients of azithromycin. It is often used in sinusitis.
Deafness (latest reports from 10,219 patients) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, high blood pressure, depression, rheumatoid arthritis, high blood cholesterol.
On Nov, 28, 2014: 10,934 people reported to have side effects when taking Azithromycin. Among them, 113 people (1.03%) have Deafness.
Time on Azithromycin when people have Deafness * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Deafness when taking Azithromycin * :
Age of people who have Deafness when taking Azithromycin * :
Severity of Deafness when taking Azithromycin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Deafness ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Multiple myeloma (13 people, 11.50%)
- Light chain analysis increased (12 people, 10.62%)
- Prostate cancer (8 people, 7.08%)
- Pneumonia (6 people, 5.31%)
- Nausea (5 people, 4.42%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Amoxicillin (34 people, 30.09%)
- Aredia (30 people, 26.55%)
- Ambien (25 people, 22.12%)
- Allopurinol (24 people, 21.24%)
- Zofran (23 people, 20.35%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
Comments for this study:
WE (7 months ago):
Worked making and inspecting this stuff with three other men all of who are going deaf in the left or right ear. didn't know about the side effect only looked into it a few weeks back when another aged between 25 to 30 started losing his earing as well.
males, 25 to 55 .
Reply the comment
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Deafness while taking Azithromycin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Azithromycin and have Deafness
- support group for people who take Azithromycin
- support group for people who have Deafness
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Can 100mg doxycycline hyclate be taken at the same time with zithromax?
(Asked by a 63 year old man who has Lyme Disease - Early Disseminated, Strep Throat, and takes Azithromycin, Doxycycline Hyclate)
Patient was bitten by a deer tick and is taking doxycycline as preventive measure. A throat infection is developing for which the doxycycline seems to have no effect, though azithromycin has proven rapidly effective in the past. Should the doxycycline be discontinued during the azithromycin cycle? ...
- Do i need to temporarily stop taking my enbrel and methotrexate (that i take every week) while i am on azithromycin for severe cold symptoms? (1 answer)
(Asked by a 47 year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis, and takes Dexamethasone, Tussicaps, Azithromycin, Methotrexate, Enbrel)
i have RA and take Enbrel and methotrexate every week. i am currently taking azithromycin, tussicaps and dexamethasone to treat a severe cold, cough, sore throat, etc. My question is should i stop taking the ra meds until my antibiotics and steroids are done? Or should i just continue as normal, don ...
- Can dengue feve cause hearing loss?
(Asked by a 51 year old man who has Hearing Loss)
In Nov 2007 I contracted Dungue and sometime inn 2008 I lost my (L)hearing, just wanted to know if the 2 are linked.
- Are the drugs listed safe to take?
(Asked by a 83 year old woman who has Mycobacterium Avium Complex, and takes Azithromycin, Mycobutin, Ethambutol Hydrochloride)
will these drugs cure or stop the bacterial growth in the lungs?
- Did the gum disease go away after stopping azithromycin? how long
(Asked by a 50 year old woman who has Pain Tendersness Swelling To Gums, and takes Azithromycin)
I started taking azithromycin 250mg 5 days ago for sinisitis and about 3 days ago I noticed my gums starting to get tender and it's up to taking Motrin every 6 hours to keep the pain at bay. Gums are slightly swollen and slightly red. The pain is the biggest problem.
More questions for: Azithromycin, Deafness
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Adverse effect of azithromycin
(Posted by a 47 year old man who has Follicuitis, and takes Azithromycin)
patients immunesystem showed very bad response to azithromycin adminstered as 1000mg per day 3 days and then 1000mg once a week for 6 weeks -
a previously chronic sinuitis flared up as did a over 30 year old infection in a broken toe -
dicillin was given for 10 days 3000mg per day / 1000mg 3 t ...
- Zetia causes deafness
(Posted by a 23 year old man who has Deafness, and takes Zetia)
Took for two weeks and now have complete deafness. This was back in 2012.
- Isoniazid and deafness
(Posted by a 34 year old woman who has Hearing Loss, and takes Isoniazid)
As a young girl I was put on Isoniazid, I didn't put 2 and 2 together but after taking the inh I started loosing my hearing to the point I'm completely deaf in my left ear. I have found a few people having report that they lost their hearing also. I'm just curious as to about how many people have ha ...
- Azithromycin side effect skin hyperpigmentation (1 response)
(Posted by a 6 year old girl who has Skin Hyperpigmentation, and takes Azithromycin)
My 6-year-old daughter took 5-day course azithromycin 3 times in 5 months for sinus infections. Do not recall exactly when hyperpigmentation began appearing all over front of neck, but definitely by the 3rd month after initial dose, with subsequent darkening upon taking two more prescriptions within ...
More reviews for: Azithromycin, Deafness
- A study of side effects of Azithromycin for a patient with Folliculitis. The patient has
Comments: did not have any good effect on the condition it was supposed to treat - i.e. folliculitis adversely it had detrimental effect on patients immune-system and chronic infections of the sinuses and a 30 year old infection of a toe showed their presence
- A study of side effects of Azithromycin for a patient with Chlamydial Infection. The patient has Vaginal Discharge
Comments: I'm 23 and pregnant & I was diagnosed with Chlymidia & prescribed Azithromycin by my OBGYN. As soon as I started taking the medicine brown discharge started appearing. It smells like normal discharge & nothing it bloody. I was just wondering of its the infection cleaning itself out.
- A study of drug interactions between Zithromax, Prednisone for a patient with Sinusitis, Sinus Pain. The patient has One Day Of Severe Diarrhea, Followed By Two Days With Fairly Large Amount Of Blood In Stool
Comments: Started with terrible cold virus almost five weeks ago - left sinus area completely blocked for three weeks, Doctor prescribed antibiotic (for 10 days) and prednisone (for 5 days) on day 4 felt worse than ever, called and he switched antibiotic to z-pack (5 days) skipped one day of prednisone (on ...
- A study of drug interactions between Topamax, Risperdal, Xanax, Klonopin, Lamictal, Viibryd for a patient with Bipolar 2, Mania, Panic Attacks, Anxiety, Bipolar Ii Disorder, Depression. The patient has Hearing Loss
Comments: I have experienced hearing loss within the past 8 years and wondered if it had to do with medications I have taken. I have taken others during that time including Abilify, Trileptal, Effexor. I recently have noticed a decrease in my hearing.
- A study of drug interactions between Advair Diskus 250/50, Azithromycin for a patient with Viral Pneumonia. The patient has Pain In Jaw
Comments: I was recently diagnosed with pneumonia. Ive been sick for over a week but receiving treatment for 2 days. For a day and a half my right bottom jaw is sore to the touch. Like someone punched me. Mostly when I touch it but a little when I move it around.
More related studies for: Azithromycin, Deafness
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent mobile support groups
- Abilify and Total Hip Replacement
- Kidney Transplant
- Muscular Weakness and Treanda
- Vitamin B17
- Garlic and Prednisone
- What type of seizure do people have using clonidine
My son has been having drop seizures & i believe the Cloni ... (2 hours ago)
- Has anyone had neck paine after taking yervoy? my cancer doctor has said it has not relatin to my treatment but i'm not so sure.
I finished with yervoy treatment about 2 months ago. I hav ... (3 hours ago)
- What is the time space for taking l-thyroxine and pantoprazole am dose
also taking Panioprazole in am forty-five minutes before b ... (8 hours ago)
Recent user reviews
- Amitriptyline involuntary eye movements
I've began having sparatic involuntary eye movements a few ... (2 days ago)
- Hair loss with enbrel
I have been on Enbrel for 4 months and started seeing sign ... (3 days ago)
- Jaw pain and naproxen
Taking naproxen for pain relief of mortons neuromas. 500 m ... (3 days ago)
Recent studies on eHealthMe:
- Hydroxyurea for a 36-year old woman who has Brain Mass (10 minutes ago)
- Hydrocodone Bitartrate And Homatropine Methylbromide, Prednisolone Acetate, Valsartan And Hydrochlorothiazide, Lipitor, Synthroid, Temazepam, Xanax, Viibryd, Remeron, Wellbutrin Sr, Seroquel Xr for a 61-year old woman who has Chronic Eye Inflammation, Hypertension, High Cholesterol, Hypothroid, Sleep, Anxiety, Depression, Depression (23 minutes ago)
- Oxcarbazepine, Alprazolam for a 38-year old woman who has Depression, Insomnia (1 hour ago)