Home > Azithromycin > Deafness > Azithromycin and Deafness
Review: could Azithromycin cause Deafness (Hearing loss)?
Summary: Deafness is found among people who take Azithromycin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Amoxicillin, and have Multiple myeloma.
We study 10,934 people who have side effects while taking Azithromycin from FDA and social media. Among them, 102 have Deafness. Find out below who they are, when they have Deafness and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Azithromycin and have Deafness >>>
Azithromycin (latest outcomes from 12,339 users) has active ingredients of azithromycin. It is often used in sinusitis.
Deafness (latest reports from 58,556 patients) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, high blood pressure, depression, rheumatoid arthritis, high blood cholesterol.
On Oct, 28, 2014: 10,923 people reported to have side effects when taking Azithromycin. Among them, 113 people (1.03%) have Deafness.
Time on Azithromycin when people have Deafness * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Deafness when taking Azithromycin * :
Age of people who have Deafness when taking Azithromycin * :
Severity of Deafness when taking Azithromycin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Deafness ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Multiple myeloma (13 people, 11.50%)
- Light chain analysis increased (12 people, 10.62%)
- Prostate cancer (8 people, 7.08%)
- Pneumonia (6 people, 5.31%)
- Nausea (5 people, 4.42%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Amoxicillin (34 people, 30.09%)
- Aredia (30 people, 26.55%)
- Ambien (25 people, 22.12%)
- Allopurinol (24 people, 21.24%)
- Zofran (23 people, 20.35%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
Comments for this study:
WE (7 months ago):
Worked making and inspecting this stuff with three other men all of who are going deaf in the left or right ear. didn't know about the side effect only looked into it a few weeks back when another aged between 25 to 30 started losing his earing as well.
males, 25 to 55 .
Reply the comment
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Deafness while taking Azithromycin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Azithromycin and have Deafness
- support group for people who take Azithromycin
- support group for people who have Deafness
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Can 100mg doxycycline hyclate be taken at the same time with zithromax?
(Asked by a 63 year old man who has Lyme Disease - Early Disseminated, Strep Throat, and takes Azithromycin, Doxycycline Hyclate)
Patient was bitten by a deer tick and is taking doxycycline as preventive measure. A throat infection is developing for which the doxycycline seems to have no effect, though azithromycin has proven rapidly effective in the past. Should the doxycycline be discontinued during the azithromycin cycle? ...
- Do i need to temporarily stop taking my enbrel and methotrexate (that i take every week) while i am on azithromycin for severe cold symptoms?
(Asked by a 47 year old woman who has Rheumatoid Arthritis, and takes Dexamethasone, Tussicaps, Azithromycin, Methotrexate, Enbrel)
i have RA and take Enbrel and methotrexate every week. i am currently taking azithromycin, tussicaps and dexamethasone to treat a severe cold, cough, sore throat, etc. My question is should i stop taking the ra meds until my antibiotics and steroids are done? Or should i just continue as normal, don ...
- Can dengue feve cause hearing loss?
(Asked by a 51 year old man who has Hearing Loss)
In Nov 2007 I contracted Dungue and sometime inn 2008 I lost my (L)hearing, just wanted to know if the 2 are linked.
- Are the drugs listed safe to take?
(Asked by a 83 year old woman who has Mycobacterium Avium Complex, and takes Azithromycin, Mycobutin, Ethambutol Hydrochloride)
will these drugs cure or stop the bacterial growth in the lungs?
- Did the gum disease go away after stopping azithromycin? how long
(Asked by a 50 year old woman who has Pain Tendersness Swelling To Gums, and takes Azithromycin)
I started taking azithromycin 250mg 5 days ago for sinisitis and about 3 days ago I noticed my gums starting to get tender and it's up to taking Motrin every 6 hours to keep the pain at bay. Gums are slightly swollen and slightly red. The pain is the biggest problem.
More questions for: Azithromycin, Deafness
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Adverse effect of azithromycin
(Posted by a 47 year old man who has Follicuitis, and takes Azithromycin)
patients immunesystem showed very bad response to azithromycin adminstered as 1000mg per day 3 days and then 1000mg once a week for 6 weeks -
a previously chronic sinuitis flared up as did a over 30 year old infection in a broken toe -
dicillin was given for 10 days 3000mg per day / 1000mg 3 t ...
- Zetia causes deafness
(Posted by a 23 year old man who has Deafness, and takes Zetia)
Took for two weeks and now have complete deafness. This was back in 2012.
- Isoniazid and deafness
(Posted by a 34 year old woman who has Hearing Loss, and takes Isoniazid)
As a young girl I was put on Isoniazid, I didn't put 2 and 2 together but after taking the inh I started loosing my hearing to the point I'm completely deaf in my left ear. I have found a few people having report that they lost their hearing also. I'm just curious as to about how many people have ha ...
- Azithromycin side effect skin hyperpigmentation
(Posted by a 6 year old girl who has Skin Hyperpigmentation, and takes Azithromycin)
My 6-year-old daughter took 5-day course azithromycin 3 times in 5 months for sinus infections. Do not recall exactly when hyperpigmentation began appearing all over front of neck, but definitely by the 3rd month after initial dose, with subsequent darkening upon taking two more prescriptions within ...
More reviews for: Azithromycin, Deafness
- A study of side effects of Azithromycin for a patient with Pneumonia Bacterial. The patient has Difficulty Breathing
Comments: pneumonia gone but muscle pain in lower back and kidney area is intense---and-is making walking very painful------last year I was given Levaquen for a kidney infection-----infection cleared up but left me with shoulder, arm, and back pain that took 6 months to get over-----my feeling for the future ...
- A study of drug interactions between Doxycycline, Azithromycin for a patient with Lyme Disease, Bronchitis. The patient has Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Comments: I have so many side effects that chronic fatigue seems simplistic. Almost every cell in my body has been damaged. I have seen over 20 doctors since my cascade of symptoms started (13years ago). They all play dumb, tell me my problem is not in their specialty, or offer me antidepressants. Yet whe ...
- A study of drug interactions between Clonidine, Lovastatin, Alprazolam, Carvedilol, Losartan Potassium; Hydrochlorothiazide for a patient with High Blood Pressure, Blood Cholesterol Decreased. The patient has Hearing Loss
Comments: I have been taking high blood pressure medication for over five years. About a year ago my doctor added Losartin/HCTZ 100/12.5 mg to the Carvidilol 12.5 AM/PM daily and Alprazolam .25 mg AM/PM. I had some water retention when I visited him in June 2013. He upped the dosage of Losartin/HCTZ to 100/25 ...
- A study of side effects of Azithromycin for a patient with Pneumonia. The patient has Azithromycin
Comments: Was given 6,000 mg of Azithromcyn took for 6 days 6 days of 500mg each day and 3 days of 1,000mg single dose each day.
Becae very ill tremendous chest pains, thought I was having a heart attack.
Had a church member take me to the hospital ER, at one point told him to her that I did not think ...
- A study of side effects of Azithromycin for a patient with Bronchitis Chronic. The patient has Cardizem Cd, Patient Only Has One Kidney (age 73), Cardiac Fibrillation (uncontrolled muscle contraction of heart), Atrial Fibrillation Aggravated (fibrillation of the muscles of the atria of the heart)
Comments: Patient haad atrial arhythmias and hypertension controlled with medication until prescribed Azithromycin on Dec 31; Patient called attention to physician and pharmacist concern because of the other regular medications; both physcian and pharmacist replied, it is onnly for 5 days. During the months ...
More related studies for: Azithromycin, Deafness
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent mobile support groups
- Elevated Liver Enzymes
- Aspirin and Elevated Liver Enzymes
- High Blood Cholesterol and Elevated Liver Enzymes
- Aspirin and Elevated Mood
- Can drinking tea few days after having a depo provera shot lessen the effectivity of contraception?
Interaction of drinking tea 3 days after having depo-prove ... (28 minutes ago)
- People with statin drug damage
Answer: I stopped statins months ago. My fancy cardiologist did no ... (1 hour ago)
- Do others have nasal congestion from the drug
i especially notice these symptoms after eating a meal ... (3 hours ago)
Recent user reviews
- A really bad day ritalin+orange juice
I took Ritaline, then Orange juice. I couldn't do my exam ... (15 hours ago)
- Tingling feet and hands
I have used flagyl 3 times and after stopping the use of t ... (20 hours ago)
- Urea urine increased while taking topamax
I was on Topamax to lose weight. It worked for me, I lost ... (3 days ago)