Review: could Azithromycin cause Muscle weakness (Weakness)?
Summary: Muscle weakness is found among people who take Azithromycin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Aspirin, and have Pain.
We study 10,940 people who have side effects while taking Azithromycin from FDA and social media. Among them, 728 have Muscle weakness. Find out below who they are, when they have Muscle weakness and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Azithromycin and have Muscle weakness >>>
Azithromycin has active ingredients of azithromycin. It is often used in sinusitis. (latest outcomes from Azithromycin 12,345 users)
Muscle weakness (a lack of muscle strength) has been reported by people with multiple sclerosis, high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, osteoporosis, pain.(latest reports from Muscle weakness 181,414 patients)
On Nov, 26, 2014: 10,934 people reported to have side effects when taking Azithromycin. Among them, 731 people (6.69%) have Muscle Weakness.
Time on Azithromycin when people have Muscle weakness * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Muscle weakness||89.36%||7.45%||0.00%||0.00%||1.06%||2.13%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Muscle weakness when taking Azithromycin * :
|Muscle weakness||64.78%||35.22% |
Age of people who have Muscle weakness when taking Azithromycin * :
|Muscle weakness||0.00%||0.96%||1.65%||8.93%||10.71%||15.66%||20.60%||41.48% |
Severity of Muscle weakness when taking Azithromycin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Muscle weakness||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Muscle weakness ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Pain (59 people, 8.07%)
- Multiple myeloma (51 people, 6.98%)
- Nausea (40 people, 5.47%)
- Hypercalcaemia (31 people, 4.24%)
- Eczema (28 people, 3.83%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (195 people, 26.68%)
- Prednisone (182 people, 24.90%)
- Albuterol (165 people, 22.57%)
- Levaquin (156 people, 21.34%)
- Ambien (152 people, 20.79%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Muscle Weakness while taking Azithromycin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Azithromycin and have Muscle Weakness
- support group for people who take Azithromycin
- support group for people who have Muscle Weakness
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Can marijuana be causing serious, long-term muscle weakness?
I'm almost 65 years old, am a successful, well adjusted professional and have used marijuana on and off for over 45 years. I began using it more heavily about five years ago. Beginning about four years ago I began experiencing serious muscle weakness, in the large muscles. I was a skier, hiker, swimmer, runner... and can't do any of that now. I'm good for only about 5-7 stairs before I have to stop and regroup. I want my life back! If its possible that using weed is the problem, I can walk away from it at any time. It's a helpful part of my meditation practice, and I like it, but as I noted...I want my life back.
Has anyone experienced anything similar? I've had my heart and lungs checked. I don't have Lyme's disease, I'm not overweight and was in GREAT shape for my age until this hit. Any suggestions will be sincerely appreciated.
- Could the iud cause body pain nerevous,dizziness,confessing after about a year? (2 answers)
I was having a light chest pain going over to my right arm went to the hospital and they said they could find anything ....Once again said it was anxiety.... I was woundering if the iud could have infected my body some how causing the symptoms and more..thank you for you time....
- Can 100mg doxycycline hyclate be taken at the same time with zithromax?
Patient was bitten by a deer tick and is taking doxycycline as preventive measure. A throat infection is developing for which the doxycycline seems to have no effect, though azithromycin has proven rapidly effective in the past. Should the doxycycline be discontinued during the azithromycin cycle? Or is the doxycycline cycle crucial?
- Do i need to temporarily stop taking my enbrel and methotrexate (that i take every week) while i am on azithromycin for severe cold symptoms? (1 answer)
i have RA and take Enbrel and methotrexate every week. i am currently taking azithromycin, tussicaps and dexamethasone to treat a severe cold, cough, sore throat, etc. My question is should i stop taking the ra meds until my antibiotics and steroids are done? Or should i just continue as normal, don't want to get sicker than i already am!!!! thanks
- Has anything helped with muscle weakness/pain caused by carbamazepine? or any remedies?
I have partial seizures that affects my right side. It's caused by having a brain tumor on the left side when I was younger that was removed. I'm taking 600mg of Carbamazepine a day.
I have muscle weakness and pain on my right arm and leg a lot. There are times when I can't even pick up a water bottle with my right hand without feeling like I'm going to drop it. The pain almost feels like growing pains but I stopped growing 4 years ago.
Has anyone had this and figured out things that helped like pain relievers, heat, cold, anything? Right now I just rest but it'd be nice to have something to actually help with the pain.
More questions for: Azithromycin, Muscle weakness
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Adverse effect of azithromycin
patients immunesystem showed very bad response to azithromycin adminstered as 1000mg per day 3 days and then 1000mg once a week for 6 weeks -
a previously chronic sinuitis flared up as did a over 30 year old infection in a broken toe -
dicillin was given for 10 days 3000mg per day / 1000mg 3 times daily - with good effect -
the patents journal shows evidence of similar occurence a decade ago when taking Klacid uno also of the macrolid family -
it appears macrolids can have severe adverse effect on some patients immunesystem
- Double vision on levothyroxine
Diagnosed with under active thyroid in January 2011. Noticed onset of double vision in January 2014. Blurred vision and double vision worsened to such an extent that my glasses prescription has changed three times in less than 7 months. All the symptons I experience are a direct result of taking Levothyrixine and have increased as my dose has been increased.
- Bladder infection while on mestinon
Had gradual lest side weakness. Everyday living is difficult. I was referred to cleveland clinic. Dr there has had me go through several tests. My tilt table test showed increase of heart rate and blood pressure. So he suspects I have POTS Postier orthostatic tachecardia syndrome. Still more tests are scheduled . He put me on genaric form of Mestinon. And within two days of taking the medication I got a bad bladder infection. I'm wondering if this is going to happen again. Bladder infections are terrible!
- Azithromycin side effect skin hyperpigmentation (1 response)
My 6-year-old daughter took 5-day course azithromycin 3 times in 5 months for sinus infections. Do not recall exactly when hyperpigmentation began appearing all over front of neck, but definitely by the 3rd month after initial dose, with subsequent darkening upon taking two more prescriptions within the 5 months. Disappeared after treating 1x/day for 2 days with aloe vera gel directly from the plant rubbed all over darkened areas; all hyperpigmentation scrubbed off with oatmeal/honey scrub on 3rd day. No recurrence until about 6 months later with minimal to moderate autumn sun exposure, recurrence all over front of neck again, even though never took azithromycin beyond the 3 prescriptions. About two weeks after this started, now entire side of one ankle is hyperpigmented. Very concerned how much more it will spread. Will up aloe vera gel application frequency in hopes to get rid of it. Stay away from this drug! It is definitely too new of a drug to be prescribing for kids!
More reviews for: Azithromycin, Muscle weakness
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- After a few weeks at 30mg/day of Prednisone I started to experience experience muscle fatigue and ache after only a short amount of walking. After a month later on 10mg of Prednisone I started to notice minor tingling and numbness in my feet, then ankles, and now further up my leg after about two we ...
- I stop pradaxa a week before having pain shot for lower back pain. I have no pain or weakness for about a week after going back on pradaxa. This has happended three times now. Can't say for sure the pradaxa is the cause or if that is the amount of time the pain shot last.
- my daughter has these episodes for the past 4 years as follows. first symptom is blurred vision, then immediately to follow is numbness and tingling mainly on right side. Then she will slowly collapse as her legs will not hold her up. If she is sitting down her upper body will fall forward and I hav ...
- did not have any good effect on the condition it was supposed to treat - i.e. folliculitis adversely it had detrimental effect on patients immune-system and chronic infections of the sinuses and a 30 year old infection of a toe showed their presence
- Thyroid blood work 639 now on synthetic thyroid medication but blood pressure is dropping lower as time is passing. I have severe headaches and migraines. My lower right back is hurting bad. Hydrocodone edges not even help the pain. They saw my thyroid enlarged in cat scan . I am going for a son ...
More related studies for: Azithromycin, Muscle weakness
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.