Review: could Azithromycin cause Muscle weakness (Weakness)?
Summary: Muscle weakness is found among people who take Azithromycin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Aspirin, and have Pain.
We study 10,949 people who have side effects while taking Azithromycin from FDA and social media. Among them, 728 have Muscle weakness. Find out below who they are, when they have Muscle weakness and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Azithromycin and have Muscle weakness >>>
Azithromycin has active ingredients of azithromycin. It is often used in sinusitis. (latest outcomes from 12,357 Azithromycin users)
Muscle weakness (a lack of muscle strength) has been reported by people with multiple sclerosis, high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, osteoporosis, pain. (latest reports from 182,255 Muscle weakness patients)
On Feb, 27, 2015: 10,946 people reported to have side effects when taking Azithromycin. Among them, 731 people (6.68%) have Muscle Weakness.
Time on Azithromycin when people have Muscle weakness * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Muscle weakness||89.36%||7.45%||0.00%||0.00%||1.06%||2.13%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Muscle weakness when taking Azithromycin * :
|Muscle weakness||64.78%||35.22% |
Age of people who have Muscle weakness when taking Azithromycin * :
|Muscle weakness||0.00%||0.96%||1.65%||8.93%||10.71%||15.66%||20.60%||41.48% |
Severity of Muscle weakness when taking Azithromycin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Muscle weakness||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Muscle weakness ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Pain (59 people, 8.07%)
- Multiple myeloma (51 people, 6.98%)
- Nausea (40 people, 5.47%)
- Hypercalcaemia (31 people, 4.24%)
- Eczema (28 people, 3.83%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (195 people, 26.68%)
- Prednisone (182 people, 24.90%)
- Albuterol (165 people, 22.57%)
- Levaquin (156 people, 21.34%)
- Ambien (152 people, 20.79%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of azithromycin and muscle weakness on
Do you have Muscle Weakness while taking Azithromycin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Azithromycin and have Muscle Weakness
- support group for people who take Azithromycin
- support group for people who have Muscle Weakness
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Methotrexate for a 71-year old man with RA. The patient has Itching - Burning Eyes, Muscle Weakness (a lack of muscle strength)
- A study of drug interactions between Metronidazole, Azithromycin for a 27-year old woman with Bacterial Infection, Chlamydia. The patient has Mouth Dry Aggravated
- A study of drug interactions between Tamiflu, Albuterol Sulfate And Ipratropium Bromide, Nitrostat, Ondansetron, Oxycodone, Actemra, Nasonex, Spiriva, Victoza, Arava, Diovan Hct, Lipitor, Ranexa, Lantus Solostar, Wellbutrin Xl, Tricor, Carvedilol, Plavix, Xarelto for a 71-year old woman with Influenza B, Copd, Angina, Nausea And Vomiting, Pain, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Rhinitis, Diabetes Mellitus Inadequate Control, Hypertension, Hyperlipidemia, Diabetes Mellitus, Stop Smoking, Blood Clots. The patient has Shortness Of Breath, Neuropathy, Tinnitus, Loss Of Coordination, Lack Of Strength, Muscle Weakness, Weakness, Exhaustion, Fatigue, Lethargy, Tiredness, Weariness, Weight Loss, Appetite - Decreased, Diarrhea, Nausea And Vomiting
- A study of side effects of Cellcept for a 21-year old woman with Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura. The patient has Chills (felling of cold), Lack Of Strength, Muscle Weakness, Weakness, Sweating - Excessive (abnormally increased sweating), Fever, Sleepiness (excess sleeping), Exhaustion, Fatigue, Lethargy, Tiredness, Weariness (feeling of tiredness), Diarrhoea, Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit)
- A study of drug interactions between Melatonin, Valerian, Effexor Xr, Ativan, Thorazine for a 42-year old woman with Chronic Insomnia, Insomnia, Depression Suicidal, Anxiety. The patient has Weakness, Fatigue, Lower Blood Pressure, Dry Eyes
Recent Azithromycin related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.