Review: could Azithromycin cause Ringing in the ears (Tinnitus)?
Summary: Ringing in the ears is found among people who take Azithromycin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Atenolol, and have Stress and anxiety.
We study 10,949 people who have side effects while taking Azithromycin from FDA and social media. Among them, 101 have Ringing in the ears. Find out below who they are, when they have Ringing in the ears and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Azithromycin and have Ringing in the ears >>>
Azithromycin has active ingredients of azithromycin. It is often used in sinusitis. (latest outcomes from 12,357 Azithromycin users)
Ringing in the ears
Ringing in the ears (a ringing in the ears) has been reported by people with depression, high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, osteoporosis, stress and anxiety. (latest reports from 20,019 Ringing in the ears patients)
On Mar, 16, 2015: 10,949 people reported to have side effects when taking Azithromycin. Among them, 101 people (0.92%) have Ringing In The Ears.
Time on Azithromycin when people have Ringing in the ears * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Ringing in the ears||87.50%||6.25%||3.12%||0.00%||3.12%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Ringing in the ears when taking Azithromycin * :
|Ringing in the ears||72.12%||27.88% |
Age of people who have Ringing in the ears when taking Azithromycin * :
|Ringing in the ears||0.00%||0.00%||9.64%||2.41%||12.05%||12.05%||24.10%||39.76% |
Severity of Ringing in the ears when taking Azithromycin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Ringing in the ears||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Ringing in the ears ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Ringing in the ears||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Anxiety (8 people, 7.92%)
- Hypercalcaemia (7 people, 6.93%)
- Breast cancer metastatic (7 people, 6.93%)
- Breast cancer (7 people, 6.93%)
- Bronchitis (6 people, 5.94%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Atenolol (14 people, 13.86%)
- Furosemide (13 people, 12.87%)
- Zocor (12 people, 11.88%)
- Cephalexin (11 people, 10.89%)
- Folic acid (11 people, 10.89%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of azithromycin and ringing in the ears on
Do you have Ringing In The Ears while taking Azithromycin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Azithromycin and have Ringing In The Ears
- support group for people who take Azithromycin
- support group for people who have Ringing In The Ears
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Metronidazole, Azithromycin for a 27-year old woman with Bacterial Infection, Chlamydia. The patient has Mouth Dry Aggravated
- A study of drug interactions between Tamiflu, Albuterol Sulfate And Ipratropium Bromide, Nitrostat, Ondansetron, Oxycodone, Actemra, Nasonex, Spiriva, Victoza, Arava, Diovan Hct, Lipitor, Ranexa, Lantus Solostar, Wellbutrin Xl, Tricor, Carvedilol, Plavix, Xarelto for a 71-year old woman with Influenza B, Copd, Angina, Nausea And Vomiting, Pain, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Rhinitis, Diabetes Mellitus Inadequate Control, Hypertension, Hyperlipidemia, Diabetes Mellitus, Stop Smoking, Blood Clots. The patient has Shortness Of Breath, Neuropathy, Tinnitus, Loss Of Coordination, Lack Of Strength, Muscle Weakness, Weakness, Exhaustion, Fatigue, Lethargy, Tiredness, Weariness, Weight Loss, Appetite - Decreased, Diarrhea, Nausea And Vomiting
- A study of drug interactions between Azithromycin, Methylprednisolone for a 52-year old woman with Upper Respiratory Tract Infection, Upper Respiratory Tract Inflammation. The patient has High Blood Pressure, Back Pain - Low, Diarrhea Associated With Medications, Insomnia, Headache - Migraine Without Aura
- A study of side effects of Colofac for a 66-year old woman with IBS. The patient has Tinnitus (a ringing in the ears)
- A study of side effects of Budesonide for a 57-year old woman with Crohn's Disease. The patient has Ringing In The Ears (a ringing in the ears)
Recent Azithromycin related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.