Review: could Bactrim cause Lewy body dementia (Dementia)?
Summary: Lewy body dementia is found among people who take Bactrim, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Coumadin, and have Depression.
We study 28,174 people who have side effects while taking Bactrim from FDA and social media. Among them, 27 have Lewy body dementia. Find out below who they are, when they have Lewy body dementia and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Bactrim and have Lewy body dementia >>>
Bactrim has active ingredients of sulfamethoxazole; trimethoprim. It is often used in urinary tract infection. (latest outcomes from 29,505 Bactrim users)
Lewy body dementia
Lewy body dementia (a nerve cell protein induced a loss of mental ability severe enough to interfere with normal activities of daily living) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, high blood pressure, depression, multiple sclerosis, high blood cholesterol. (latest reports from 11,372 Lewy body dementia patients)
On Apr, 20, 2015: 28,174 people reported to have side effects when taking Bactrim. Among them, 27 people (0.10%) have Lewy Body Dementia.
Time on Bactrim when people have Lewy body dementia * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Lewy body dementia||75.00%||25.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Age of people who have Lewy body dementia when taking Bactrim * :
|Lewy body dementia||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||6.45%||16.13%||0.00%||77.42% |
Severity of Lewy body dementia when taking Bactrim ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Lewy body dementia||100.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Lewy body dementia ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Lewy body dementia||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Depression (10 people, 37.04%)
- Multiple myeloma (10 people, 37.04%)
- Insomnia (9 people, 33.33%)
- Ill-defined disorder (4 people, 14.81%)
- Herpes simplex (2 people, 7.41%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Coumadin (13 people, 48.15%)
- Bactrim ds (12 people, 44.44%)
- Xanax (11 people, 40.74%)
- Elavil (11 people, 40.74%)
- Ertapenem (10 people, 37.04%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of bactrim and lewy body dementia on
Do you have Lewy Body Dementia while taking Bactrim?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Bactrim and have Lewy Body Dementia
- support group for people who take Bactrim
- support group for people who have Lewy Body Dementia
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Trazodone Hydrochloride, Citalopram Hydrobromide, Valsartan And Hydrochlorothiazide, Triglide, Bactrim, Propranolol Hydrochloride, Plavix, Mirapex for a 58-year old woman with Insomnia, Adjustment Disorder With Mixed Anxiety And Depressed Mood, High Blood Pressure, Blood Cholesterol Abnormal, Sinusitis, Diastolic Dysfunction, Tia, Rls. The patient has Nausea, Headache, Exhaustion, Fatigue, Lethargy, Tiredness, Weariness, Body Temperature Decreased
- A study of drug interactions between Hydrochlorothiazide, Bactrim for a 55-year old woman with High Blood Pressure, Skin Lesion. The patient has Skin Rash, High Blood Pressure
- A study of side effects of Doxepin Hydrochloride for a 45-year old woman with Sleepy. The patient has Dementia
- A study of side effects of Bactrim for a 35-year old woman with Infection - Ear. The patient has Diarrhea
- A study of side effects of Bactrim for a 61-year old woman with Uti. The patient has Cough
Recent Bactrim related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.