Review: could Bactrim cause Vitamin b12 deficiency?
Summary: Vitamin b12 deficiency is found among people who take Bactrim, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Vitamin b-12, and have Dementia alzheimer's type.
We study 28,170 people who have side effects while taking Bactrim from FDA and social media. Among them, 26 have Vitamin b12 deficiency. Find out below who they are, when they have Vitamin b12 deficiency and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Bactrim and have Vitamin b12 deficiency >>>
Bactrim has active ingredients of sulfamethoxazole; trimethoprim. It is often used in urinary tract infection. (latest outcomes from 29,499 Bactrim users)
Vitamin b12 deficiency
Vitamin b12 deficiency has been reported by people with osteoporosis, osteopenia, high blood pressure, multiple sclerosis, depression. (latest reports from 2,484 Vitamin b12 deficiency patients)
On Mar, 5, 2015: 28,170 people reported to have side effects when taking Bactrim. Among them, 26 people (0.09%) have Vitamin B12 Deficiency.
Time on Bactrim when people have Vitamin b12 deficiency * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Vitamin b12 deficiency||100.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Age of people who have Vitamin b12 deficiency when taking Bactrim * :
|Vitamin b12 deficiency||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||9.09%||9.09%||27.27%||54.55% |
Severity of Vitamin b12 deficiency when taking Bactrim ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Vitamin b12 deficiency||0.00%||0.00%||100.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Vitamin b12 deficiency ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Vitamin b12 deficiency||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Dementia alzheimer's type (4 people, 15.38%)
- Diarrhoea (4 people, 15.38%)
- Metastatic neoplasm (3 people, 11.54%)
- Gastritis (2 people, 7.69%)
- Diabetes mellitus non-insulin-dependent (2 people, 7.69%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Vitamin b-12 (17 people, 65.38%)
- Lexapro (16 people, 61.54%)
- Vitamin d (16 people, 61.54%)
- Aciphex (15 people, 57.69%)
- Folic acid (15 people, 57.69%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of bactrim and vitamin b12 deficiency on
Do you have Vitamin B12 Deficiency while taking Bactrim?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Bactrim and have Vitamin B12 Deficiency
- support group for people who take Bactrim
- support group for people who have Vitamin B12 Deficiency
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Bactrim Ds for a 31-year old woman with Infection. The patient has Incontinence - Urinary (involuntary leakage of urine)
- A study of side effects of Bactrim Ds for a 17-year old boy with Acne And Teenagers. The patient has Persistent Cloaca (complex anorectal and genitourinary malformation)
- A study of drug interactions between Amitriptyline Hydrochloride, Aleve, Lipitor, Terbinafine Hydrochloride, Bactrim DS, Tamsulosin for a 68-year old man with Insomnia, Prostate Seed Implant, High Blood Cholesterol, Toe Fungus, Post Prostate Surgery Syndrome, Urinary Tract Disorder. The patient has Weight Increased
- A study of drug interactions between Amoxicillin, Ambien, Bactrim, Hydrocodone Bitartrate And Acetaminophen, Methylprednisolone, Glipizide, Verapamil Hydrochloride, Carafate for a 77-year old man with Bone Marrow Aspiration, Insomnia, Uti, Pain, Inflammation, Diabetes, High Blood Pressure, Acid Reflux. The patient has Weakness, Hiccups
- A study of side effects of Septra Ds for a 39-year old woman with Urinary Tract Infection. The patient has Hemorrhoidal Bleeding (bleeding piles)
Recent Bactrim related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.