Review: could Benadryl cause Constipation?
(By eHealthMe on Feb, 28, 2014)
Severity ratings: 2.4/4
On a scale of 1 to 4: 1=least, 2=moderate, 3=severe, 4=most severe
We study 25,184 people who take Benadryl. Among them, 704 have Constipation. See who they are, when they have Constipation and more. This review is based on reports from FDA and social media, and is updated regularly.
For patients like me, how are my drugs? On eHealthMe, you can research 300 million drug outcomes from FDA and social media. We use data reported since 1977 till to date. All studies are personalized to gender and age. Start now >>>
Benadryl (latest outcomes from 29,259 users) has active ingredients of diphenhydramine hydrochloride. It is often used in allergies, insomnia. Commonly reported side effects of Benadryl include breathing difficulty, nausea, nausea aggravated, dyspnoea exacerbated, rashes.
Constipation (latest reports from 490,842 patients) has been reported by people with pain, osteoporosis, high blood pressure, depression, high blood cholesterol.
On Mar, 7, 2014: 25,184 people reported to have side effects when taking Benadryl. Among them, 739 people (2.93%) have Constipation. They amount to 0.15% of all the 490,842 people who have Constipation.
Time on Benadryl when people have Constipation * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Constipation when taking Benadryl * :
Age of people who have Constipation when taking Benadryl * :
Severity of Constipation when taking Benadryl ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Constipation ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Pain (97 people, 13.13%)
- Metastases to bone (65 people, 8.80%)
- Hypertension (63 people, 8.53%)
- Breast cancer (60 people, 8.12%)
- Multiple myeloma (46 people, 6.22%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Zometa (265 people, 35.86%)
- Zofran (195 people, 26.39%)
- Aspirin (184 people, 24.90%)
- Aredia (176 people, 23.82%)
- Decadron (175 people, 23.68%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Related topic: Benadryl, Constipation
You can also:
On eHealthMe, Benadryl (diphenhydramine hydrochloride) is often used for allergies. Find out below the conditions Benadryl is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Benadryl used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
Browse Benadryl side effects from A to Z:
Browse Benadryl drug interactions with drugs from A to Z:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause it?
Comments from related studies:
From this study (3 months ago):
Past distal injuries returning with increased pressure symptoms. Eye pain with movement. Increased pressure and pain with neck movement. Connective tissue disease - Ehlers Danlos Syndrome.
From this study (5 months ago):
Left side facial nerve pain due to enlarged cheekbone pressing on 5 th cranial nerve. Believed to have also trigeminal neuralgia type 2 due to procedures in attempts to alleviate cranial nerve pain.
Diagnosed with pseudoporphyria 2 months ago. Believed to be brought on by nsaid medications. Auto immune diseases not tested for or ruled out.
Severe anxiety correlates with timing of first symptoms of porphyria
From this study (4 years ago):
diagnoised 1996, surgery + carboplatin/taxol(12)
1997 - second look surgery, high dose chemo (cisplatin,cytoxin,thiotepa) -stemcell rescue,
recurrance 2001- taxol + stint in ureter
recurrance 2003 carboplatin(6) + telcyta(9) - clinical trial stable then tumor began growing
2005 stable as managed with Lupron, Femora
2008 tumor began growing - sugery + Doxil(24)
2010 Taxol/Carboplatin(4 to date with significant response)
Post a new comment OR Read more comments
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
More questions for: Benadryl, Constipation
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Trying to figure out my diagnosis . no doctor can figure it out
I have been having these fainting spells since I was 12 .. It starts with lower abdominal pain followed by feeling light headed then I black out and my body shakes kind of like a seizure but last a few seconds then I come to ..then I feel nausea and also I have chills
- Lithium constipation and tremor
After taking Lithium Carb for about three months, I realize I've been moderately constipated for several weeks. I also have been nauseous and suddenly realize that it's probably related to the nausea and maybe the cause of it.
- Epilepsy and depression drug side effects
42yo male having infrequent seizures since he was 19yo.
Was recently placed on Neurontin and Topamax after a single seizure. This combination of meds appeared to increase the frequency of seizures ( from 1 every few years unmedicated, to 1 every month ). Dosage being increased after each seizure. ...
More reviews for: Benadryl, Constipation
Recent related drug studies:
- A study of drug interactions between Benadryl, Zyrtec, Fluconazole, Lansoprazole, Miralax, Lidoderm, Cardizem, Fioricet, Advair Diskus 500/50, Symbicort, Relpax, Tylenol, Enbrel, Vitamin B12, Restasis, Ipratropium Bromide, Xopenex Hfa, Xopenex, Singulair, Oxycodone, Baclofen, Aygestin, Vitamin D for a patient with Allergic Reactions, Allergic Sinusitis, Gerd, Constipation, Pain Management, Hypertension, Migraine With Aura, Asthma, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Vitamin B12 Deficiency, Dry Eye, Muscle Contractions Involuntary, Endometriosis, Vitamin D Deficiency. The patient has Single Digit Swelling From.past Injury, Vertigo Positional, Nerve Pain (Neuralgia), Pain - Joints (Joint pain), Pain, Constipation, Passed Out (Fainting), Drowsiness, Fatigue, Interruption Of Aortic Arch, Micturition Frequency Decreased, Blood Pressure Increased (High blood pressure), Pressure Sore, Vision Blurred, Diastolic Blood Pressure
- A study of drug interactions between Benadryl, Melatonin, Lysine, Klonopin, Naprosyn, Methadone Hydrochloride, Doxycycline, B Complex Vitamin, Fish Oil for a patient with Sleep Aid, Metabolism, Anxiety Disorder, Pain, Chronic Pain, Inflammation, Energy Preservation. The patient has Inflammation, Facial Pain, Constipation, Memory Loss, Fatigue - Chronic (Chronic fatigue syndrome), Depression, Arthritis, Pseudoporphyria, Facial Nerve Palsy, Anxiety (Stress and anxiety)
- A study of drug interactions between Taxol, Carboplatin, Benadryl, Neulasta, Dexamethasone, Benicar, Claritin, Motrin, Darvocet for a patient with Ovarian Epithelial Cancer Recurrent, Premedication, White Blood Cell Count Abnormal, High Blood Pressure, Allergy To Plants, Pain - Joints. The patient has Anaemia, Neuropathy Peripheral, Nausea, Nodule On Extremity, Constipation, Diarrhoea (Diarrhea)
More related studies for: Benadryl, Constipation
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.