Review: could Benadryl cause Cough?
Summary: Cough is found among people who take Benadryl, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Zometa, and have Pain.
We study 26,437 people who have side effects while taking Benadryl from FDA and social media. Among them, 902 have Cough. Find out below who they are, when they have Cough and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Benadryl and have Cough >>>
Benadryl has active ingredients of diphenhydramine hydrochloride. It is often used in allergies. (latest outcomes from 29,397 Benadryl users)
Cough has been reported by people with rheumatoid arthritis, high blood pressure, asthma, osteoporosis, high blood cholesterol. (latest reports from 75,693 Cough patients)
On Mar, 14, 2015: 26,435 people reported to have side effects when taking Benadryl. Among them, 904 people (3.42%) have Cough.
Time on Benadryl when people have Cough * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Cough when taking Benadryl * :
Age of people who have Cough when taking Benadryl * :
Severity of Cough when taking Benadryl ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Cough ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Pain (94 people, 10.40%)
- Hypertension (66 people, 7.30%)
- Multiple myeloma (62 people, 6.86%)
- Depression (51 people, 5.64%)
- Crohn's disease (51 people, 5.64%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Zometa (213 people, 23.56%)
- Decadron (162 people, 17.92%)
- Aspirin (156 people, 17.26%)
- Prednisone (136 people, 15.04%)
- Lasix (127 people, 14.05%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of benadryl and cough on
Do you have Cough while taking Benadryl?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Benadryl and have Cough
- support group for people who take Benadryl
- support group for people who have Cough
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Benadryl for a 40-year old woman with Allergy To Chemicals. The patient has Yeast Infection - Vagina (fungal infection of vagina)
- A study of side effects of Metformin for a 57-year old woman with Cough. The patient has Cough Aggravated
- A study of drug interactions between Lisinopril, Hydrochlorothiazide, Synthroid for a 52-year old woman with High Blood Pressure, Hypothyroidism. The patient has Night Sweats, Hot Flashes, Cough
- A study of side effects of Benadryl for a 56-year old woman with Hives. The patient has Loss Of Taste
- A study of drug interactions between Lamictal, Bupropion Hydrochloride, Clonazepam, Trazodone Hydrochloride for a 41-year old woman with Bipolar 2, Depression, Anxiety Disorder, Insomnia Related To Another Mental Condition. The patient has Cough Aggravated
Recent Benadryl related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.