Review: could Benadryl cause Depression?
Summary: Depression is found among people who take Benadryl, especially for people who are female, 40-49 old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Zometa, and have Pain.
We study 26,437 people who have side effects while taking Benadryl from FDA and social media. Among them, 1,084 have Depression. Find out below who they are, when they have Depression and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Benadryl and have Depression >>>
Benadryl has active ingredients of diphenhydramine hydrochloride. It is often used in allergies. (latest outcomes from 29,401 Benadryl users)
Depression has been reported by people with quit smoking, multiple sclerosis, pain, osteoporosis, acne. (latest reports from 277,750 Depression patients)
On Apr, 16, 2015: 26,437 people reported to have side effects when taking Benadryl. Among them, 1,084 people (4.10%) have Depression.
Time on Benadryl when people have Depression * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Depression when taking Benadryl * :
Age of people who have Depression when taking Benadryl * :
Severity of Depression when taking Benadryl ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Depression ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Pain (148 people, 13.65%)
- Depression (92 people, 8.49%)
- Hypertension (78 people, 7.20%)
- Smoking cessation therapy (48 people, 4.43%)
- Multiple myeloma (47 people, 4.34%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Zometa (233 people, 21.49%)
- Prilosec (203 people, 18.73%)
- Aspirin (187 people, 17.25%)
- Ativan (187 people, 17.25%)
- Ambien (183 people, 16.88%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of benadryl and depression on
Do you have Depression while taking Benadryl?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Benadryl and have Depression
- support group for people who take Benadryl
- support group for people who have Depression
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Quetiapine Fumarate for a 20-year old woman with Miscarriage. The patient has Depression, Dark Circles Under Eyes, Yellow Skin, Stomach Pain, Irritability, Decreased Appetite, Headache, Nausea
- A study of side effects of Sulfamethoxazole And Trimethoprim for a 21-year old woman with UTI. The patient has Appetite Decreased, Confusion, Weakness, Anxiety, Apprehension, Feeling Uptight, Jitters, Stress, Stress And Anxiety, Tension, Depression
- A study of side effects of Arixtra for a 69-year old man with DVT. The patient has Depression
- A study of drug interactions between Trazodone Hydrochloride, Valium, Cymbalta, Prozac for a 42-year old woman with Sleepy, Anxiety, Depression, Panic Disorder. The patient has Anhedonia, Depression
- A study of side effects of Cymbalta for a 71-year old man with Depression. The patient has Depression
Recent Benadryl related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.