Could Benadryl cause Diarrhea - from FDA reports
Diarrhea is found among people who take Benadryl, especially for people who are female, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Tylenol, and have Pain . We study 38,825 people who have side effects while taking Benadryl from FDA. Among them, 1,938 have Diarrhea. Find out below who they are, when they have Diarrhea and more.
What to expect?
You are not alone!
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
Benadryl has active ingredients of diphenhydramine hydrochloride. It is often used in allergies. (latest outcomes from Benadryl 44,667 users)
Diarrhea has been reported by people with high blood pressure, multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, crohn's disease, pain (latest reports from 264,507 Diarrhea patients).
On Nov, 21, 2016
38,825 people reported to have side effects when taking Benadryl.
Among them, 1,938 people (4.99%) have Diarrhea
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Benadryl when people have Diarrhea *:
- < 1 month: 74.56 %
- 1 - 6 months: 11.4 %
- 6 - 12 months: 5.26 %
- 1 - 2 years: 4.39 %
- 2 - 5 years: 2.63 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.0 %
- 10+ years: 1.75 %
Gender of people who have Diarrhea when taking Benadryl *:
- female: 69.13 %
- male: 30.87 %
Age of people who have Diarrhea when taking Benadryl *:
- 0-1: 0.33 %
- 2-9: 1.84 %
- 10-19: 2.5 %
- 20-29: 6.43 %
- 30-39: 7.29 %
- 40-49: 18.45 %
- 50-59: 22.52 %
- 60+: 40.64 %
Severity of Diarrhea **:
- least: 6.25 %
- moderate: 62.5 %
- severe: 25.0 %
- most severe: 6.25 %
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Tylenol (402 people, 20.74%)
- Decadron (289 people, 14.91%)
- Zofran (254 people, 13.11%)
- Ativan (219 people, 11.30%)
- Lasix (186 people, 9.60%)
Forecasts by ePatient.care (We will alert you to new symptoms or undetected conditions when you take Benadryl, learn more )
Potential co-existing conditions
- Pain (207 people, 10.68%)
- Crohn's Disease (117 people, 6.04%)
- High Blood Pressure (109 people, 5.62%)
- Depression (103 people, 5.31%)
- Breast Cancer (99 people, 5.11%)
Potential co-existing symptoms
- Nausea (758 people, 39.11%)
- Nausea And Vomiting (638 people, 32.92%)
- Fatigue (529 people, 27.30%)
- Headache (349 people, 18.01%)
- Weakness (348 people, 17.96%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Diarrhea when taking Benadryl?
- Check symptoms - is diarrhea caused by a drug or a condition?
- Get alerts to symptoms - forecast your symptoms and get alerts
- Join related support groups - you are not alone, join a support group on ehealth.me
- Report the side effect - help people in need and in real time
- More tools...
Browse all side effects of Benadryla b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Drugs that are associated with DiarrheaDiarrhea
Could your condition cause DiarrheaDiarrhea
Can you answer these questions?
You may be interested in these reviews
Hello Im a 59 years old female with episodes of hypertension. I take lisinopril 2.5 when needed since for the most part my bp is low...I know when my pressure is up because I get diarrhea among other symptoms. Lately I have noticed that when my bp is low I also get diarrhea...
I have been losing,my hair for almost a month now. It falls out constantly in clumps. I have also had severe upset stomach. I was desperate to find answers, and I am so happy I found this website. I have been taking benadryl to prevent migraines and now believe this is what's causing the hair ...
I have been taking Benedryl daily for years on a repeat prescription from my GP because of allergies. I'm now struggling with slurred speech and swallowing - does anyone else have both these problems please?