Review: could Benadryl cause Hallucination (Hallucinations)?
Summary: Hallucination is found among people who take Benadryl, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Zometa, and have Pain.
We study 26,437 people who have side effects while taking Benadryl from FDA and social media. Among them, 338 have Hallucination. Find out below who they are, when they have Hallucination and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Benadryl and have Hallucination >>>
Benadryl has active ingredients of diphenhydramine hydrochloride. It is often used in allergies. (latest outcomes from 29,397 Benadryl users)
Hallucination (an experience involving the perception of something not present) has been reported by people with depression, pain, parkinson's disease, quit smoking, high blood pressure. (latest reports from 30,198 Hallucination patients)
On Mar, 27, 2015: 26,435 people reported to have side effects when taking Benadryl. Among them, 338 people (1.28%) have Hallucination.
Time on Benadryl when people have Hallucination * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Hallucination when taking Benadryl * :
Age of people who have Hallucination when taking Benadryl * :
Severity of Hallucination when taking Benadryl ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Hallucination ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Pain (44 people, 13.02%)
- Hypertension (41 people, 12.13%)
- Multiple myeloma (40 people, 11.83%)
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (28 people, 8.28%)
- Seborrhoeic dermatitis (26 people, 7.69%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Zometa (87 people, 25.74%)
- Ativan (87 people, 25.74%)
- Aspirin (74 people, 21.89%)
- Albuterol (66 people, 19.53%)
- Compazine (61 people, 18.05%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
Comments for this study:
Norman (3 years ago):
I used to take Benadryl because I knew it would make me hallucinate. Sometimes the hallucinations would be overwhelming to the point that I had to go to the hospital and the whole situation fealt like a loosely controlable lucid dream. About the only thing I could comprehend was that I knew not to sign the 3 day watch paper. The funny thing was the nezt day when I saw the paperwork that I filled out at the hospital was complete jiberish.
Reply the comment
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of benadryl and hallucination on
Do you have Hallucination while taking Benadryl?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Benadryl and have Hallucination
- support group for people who take Benadryl
- support group for people who have Hallucination
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Plavix for a 52-year old man with Surgical Vascular Shunt. The patient has Hallucinations (sensations that appear real but are created by your mind), Mania (a state of abnormally elevated or irritable mood)
- A study of side effects of Benadryl for a 56-year old woman with Hives. The patient has Loss Of Taste
- A study of side effects of Morphine Sulfate for a 94-year old man with Cancer - Prostate. The patient has Hallucinations (sensations that appear real but are created by your mind)
- A study of side effects of Benadryl for a 41-year old woman with Bee Sting. The patient has Vomiting
- A study of drug interactions between Carisoprodol, Clonazepam, Levothyroxine Sodium, Estradiol, Sulindac, Lactulose, Probiotics, Benadryl, Strattera, Glucosamine And Chondroitin Sulfate And MSM for a 75-year old woman with Arthritis, Sleep Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition, Low Thyroid, Hormone Level Abnormal, Reactive Arthritis, Dairy Product Intolerance, Acid Base Balance Abnormal, Sinusitis, Listless, Depression - Elderly. The patient has Increased Bloating And Indigestion, Digestive Tract Abnormality
Recent Benadryl related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.