Review: could Benadryl cause Headache?
Summary: Headache is found among people who take Benadryl, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Aspirin, and have Pain.
We study 26,402 people who have side effects while taking Benadryl from FDA and social media. Among them, 1,707 have Headache. Find out below who they are, when they have Headache and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Benadryl and have Headache >>>
Benadryl has active ingredients of diphenhydramine hydrochloride. It is often used in allergies. (latest outcomes from Benadryl 29,367 users)
Headache (pain in head) has been reported by people with multiple sclerosis, depression, high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis.(latest reports from Headache 199,069 patients)
On Dec, 13, 2014: 26,402 people reported to have side effects when taking Benadryl. Among them, 1,707 people (6.47%) have Headache.
Time on Benadryl when people have Headache * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Headache when taking Benadryl * :
Age of people who have Headache when taking Benadryl * :
Severity of Headache when taking Benadryl ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Headache ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Pain (165 people, 9.67%)
- Multiple sclerosis (124 people, 7.26%)
- Hypertension (104 people, 6.09%)
- Depression (100 people, 5.86%)
- Crohn's disease (77 people, 4.51%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (226 people, 13.24%)
- Zometa (216 people, 12.65%)
- Ambien (192 people, 11.25%)
- Decadron (191 people, 11.19%)
- Zofran (184 people, 10.78%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Headache while taking Benadryl?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Benadryl and have Headache
- support group for people who take Benadryl
- support group for people who have Headache
Recent conversations of related support groups:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
More questions for: Benadryl, Headache
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Dyphenhydramine and headaches horrible going one almost 24 hours a day for 4 weeks and cant get them to stop, now looking for cause . think its the dyphenhydramine im taking to help me sleep .
have been taking 3 dyphenhydramine for some time to help me sleep , just in last few weeks began having severe headache almost all the time.. cant get it to go away. just found out it can cause headache and am going to lower my intake to one per night and see if my headaches get better. am taking migrane meds and that hasnt helped a bit so think its not migranes im having. some other reason.
- Nightmare on benadryl
After 5 nights without sleep and not having past bad dreams, the last 2 night's taking walfrin sub, for benadryl has terrified THE WORST OF WORST dream in my 55 years. Peaceful start of a dream then seeing myself or family,friends get slottard.crazy thing is I don't watch scary movies or the news. I think I'm going to pass on this meds, and pass out next time :) thank you,God bless
- Raspberry ketones - side-effect of red face, face muscle twitching
Whenever I use Raspberry Ketones 500mg capsules (1 a day) I get reddening of the tops of my cheeks coupled with muscle tightening/twitching of the cheek muscles closest to the nose (the muscles that contract if someone blows in your eyes) and the muscles at the bridge of nose at times too. Both sets of symptoms last for a day, then to be repeated again the next day on taking the next capsule. Whenever I cease using the product the symptoms likewise end. They began occurring from the very first use of the product. They are sometimes accompanied by a very low-grade headache. I thus now no longer use the product, plus the product made no difference whatsoever to my weight gain/loss when using it daily over several weeks.
- Benadryl completed suicide 50 year old
My mother comitted suicide by taking a bottle of Benadryl. She also had been drinking, she had taken xanax and drank beer, she also took 300 Benadryl pills and started having seizures and went to the hospital was brain dead and her heart stopped the next morning.
- Had nms in 2005, will trileptal increase chance of recurrence?
In 2005 I had NMS, which was not detected by my drs for 4 months. I'd been on Lexapro & Seroquel for 2 yrs, but was weaned from Lexapro & placed on Lamictal 3/05. Began getting low-grade fevers, which I was told were not caused by the Lamictal. I quit taking it anyway, fevers (along with uncontrollable shivering) continued & got higher. By 5/05 my temps were reaching 105 deg F. Husband said I became combative, refused to go to hospital. Early June/05 he came home to find me wrapped in blankets, with a temp over 105 F. He tried to place me in a tub of cold water, said I was rigid & screamed when he tried to move me. I was in the tub, speaking "in tongues" (his description, I have no memory of this). He called 911, took me to hospital. I woke, no idea where I was or why. After a lumbar puncture & 2 days in ICU I went home. The fevers continued...2 weeks later he came home to find me wrapped in sheets, towels, blankets, with the heat on full (it was in the 90's outside) he called ambulance again. I awoke to find myself under an ice blanket with nurses pushing large vials of dantrolene into both arms, several liters. Another LP, a stint in ICU...this time they told me it was NMS. The dr who dxd me said he was surprised I was alive, & not a vegetable, as my temp had peaked at 109 deg F. I suffered brain damage; short-term memory loss, brain can't control my body temp, my blood pressure went up. An arteriogram showed completely healthy heart & arteries, no plaque at all. I lost all body fat as well as some muscle mass. The fevers continued even after stopping the Seroquel. I visited my PCP for a checkup in 9/05, temp was normal. I started shuddering, my temp went up a full degree every 5 minutes. PCP admitted me to ER, my heart rate was over 272 B/M; they stopped my heart 3 times to "reset" it, which didn't work. I spent 3 days in hospital. Several months later my P doc tried me on Lamictal alone; I got Stevens-Johnson syndrome. I stopped the drug as soon as the signs appeared. I've been untreated, except for Neurontin & Primidone, until my manic episodes became unlivable. 3 weeks ago I went 8 days with no sleep, became psychotic. My P doc gave me Trileptal, which has evened my moods, but I've been getting low-grade fevers (highest was 103.6). Would having had NMS in the past make me more prone to falling to it again with the Trileptal? It's the only new med I've taken in over a year.
More reviews for: Benadryl, Headache
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- I have had insomnia off and on all my life until I turned 40 and the I was diagnosed with Psoriatic Arthritis and I was tired all the time and I was sleeping a lot for me and it was good to be able to sleep. The doctor put me on Methotrexate and Enbrel and I could still sleep not as much as before ...
- Was prescribed Voltaren gel for tenosynovitis of my thumb. Helped the pain somewhat, but I woke up feeling terrible. I am sensitive to stronger oral pain medications, which is why this was prescribed in the first place, but the side effects are worse than when I have taken codeine. Felt somewhat be ...
- There is a pain in my neck as well as a pain under my jaw no swelling i only feel it when i touch a small aarea.there is pain in my muscles and around my left breast area only when touching or laying on my stomach each symtom lasted two days then switched to a new symptom it's been onne week since i ...
- periodic/intermittent episodes of nominal aphasia. inability to recall names and words often used. sense of knowing the words but unable to retrieve them. episodes occur at random and vary in severity. no immediately obvious reasons nor any recent head traumas. rarely occurring moments where words d ...
- I have had Chikungunya for two months now, which leads me to use Naproxen Sodium on a daily basis (2 in the morning, 2 at night) for joint pain. I also had Benadryl a day ago for nasal allergies. Today I took a drug screening test and it was positive for THC. It made no sense to me so I looked onlin ...
More related studies for: Benadryl, Headache
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.