Review: could Benadryl cause Heart racing (Heart palpitations)?
Summary: Heart racing is found among people who take Benadryl, especially for people who are female, 50-59 old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Ativan, and have Crohn's disease.
We study 26,443 people who have side effects while taking Benadryl from FDA and social media. Among them, 465 have Heart racing. Find out below who they are, when they have Heart racing and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Benadryl and have Heart racing >>>
Benadryl has active ingredients of diphenhydramine hydrochloride. It is often used in allergies. (latest outcomes from 29,401 Benadryl users)
Heart racing (feelings or sensations that your heart is pounding or racing) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, depression, osteoporosis, high blood cholesterol, pain. (latest reports from 52,180 Heart racing patients)
On Apr, 12, 2015: 26,437 people reported to have side effects when taking Benadryl. Among them, 465 people (1.76%) have Heart Racing.
Time on Benadryl when people have Heart racing * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Heart racing||78.26%||4.35%||0.00%||8.70%||4.35%||0.00%||4.35% |
Gender of people who have Heart racing when taking Benadryl * :
|Heart racing||81.10%||18.90% |
Age of people who have Heart racing when taking Benadryl * :
|Heart racing||0.00%||0.49%||2.72%||11.11%||10.62%||23.46%||31.11%||20.49% |
Severity of Heart racing when taking Benadryl ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Heart racing||0.00%||71.43%||14.29%||14.29% |
How people recovered from Heart racing ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Heart racing||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Crohn's disease (36 people, 7.74%)
- Osteoporosis (24 people, 5.16%)
- Hypertension (23 people, 4.95%)
- Sleep disorder (23 people, 4.95%)
- Depression (22 people, 4.73%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Ativan (76 people, 16.34%)
- Dilaudid (72 people, 15.48%)
- Aspirin (70 people, 15.05%)
- Lasix (65 people, 13.98%)
- Protonix (64 people, 13.76%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Heart Racing while taking Benadryl?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Benadryl and have Heart Racing
- support group for people who take Benadryl
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Hydromorphone Hydrochloride, Bisacodyl, Piperine, Curcumin, Fish Oil, Ativan, Coreg, Prilosec Otc, Wellbutrin Xl, Oxycodone for a 39-year old woman with Chronic Pain, Constipation, Adjuvant For Curcumin, Depression, Inflammatory Pain, Anxiety Disorder, Atrial Tachycardia, Ulcer - Peptic, Breakthrough Pain. The patient has Tricuspid Regurgitation, Chronic Mitral Valve Regurgitation, Heart Murmurs, Ventricular Extrasystoles, Palpitations
- A study of side effects of Lamotrigine for a 34-year old woman with Bipolar Disorder. The patient has Depression, Poor Peripheral Circulation, Palpitations, Tongue Irritation, Fatigue
- A study of drug interactions between Allegra D 24 Hour, Claritin-d 24 Hour, Zyrtec Allergy, Vyvanse, Benadryl for a 25-year old woman with Hay Fever, Adhd, Insomnia. The patient has Photosensitive Rash
- A study of side effects of Daytrana for a 21-year old man with ADHD. The patient has Heart Palpitations
- A study of drug interactions between Miralax, Omeprazole, Verapamil Hydrochloride, Hydrochlorothiazide, Cetirizine Hydrochloride, Vitamin D, Hydroxyzine, Sertraline, Lamotrigine, Proair Hfa, Advair Diskus 250/50, Montelukast Sodium for a 39-year old woman with Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Acid Reflux, High Blood Pressure, Allergy, Vitamin D Decreased, Anxiety Disorder, Chronic Depression, Bipolar Disorder, Asthma. The patient has Bronchitis Acute, Irregular Heartbeat
Recent Benadryl related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.