Could Benadryl cause Hives - from FDA reports
Hives is found among people who take Benadryl, especially for people who are female, 40-49 old , have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Prednisone, and have High blood pressure . We study 38,824 people who have side effects while taking Benadryl from FDA. Among them, 18 have Hives. Find out below who they are, when they have Hives and more.
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
Benadryl has active ingredients of diphenhydramine hydrochloride. It is often used in allergies. (latest outcomes from Benadryl 44,667 users)
Hives has been reported by people with high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, depression, hives (latest reports from 928 Hives patients).
On Nov, 19, 2016
38,824 people reported to have side effects when taking Benadryl.
Among them, 18 people (0.05%) have Hives
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Benadryl when people have Hives *:
- < 1 month: 40.0 %
- 1 - 6 months: 40.0 %
- 6 - 12 months: 0.0 %
- 1 - 2 years: 6.67 %
- 2 - 5 years: 0.0 %
- 5 - 10 years: 6.67 %
- 10+ years: 6.67 %
Gender of people who have Hives when taking Benadryl *:
- female: 55.56 %
- male: 44.44 %
Age of people who have Hives when taking Benadryl *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 5.56 %
- 10-19: 11.11 %
- 20-29: 22.22 %
- 30-39: 5.56 %
- 40-49: 27.78 %
- 50-59: 11.11 %
- 60+: 16.67 %
Severity of Hives **:
- least: 6.25 %
- moderate: 50.0 %
- severe: 37.5 %
- most severe: 6.25 %
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Prednisone (3 people, 16.67%)
- Zyrtec Allergy (2 people, 11.11%)
- Atenolol (2 people, 11.11%)
- Albuterol Sulfate (2 people, 11.11%)
- Adderall (2 people, 11.11%)
Forecasts by ePatient.care (We will alert you to new symptoms or undetected conditions when you take Benadryl, learn more )
Potential co-existing conditions
- High Blood Pressure (5 people, 27.78%)
- High Blood Cholesterol (3 people, 16.67%)
- Arthritis (2 people, 11.11%)
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (1 person, 5.56%)
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (1 person, 5.56%)
Potential co-existing symptoms
- Weight Decreased (1 person, 5.56%)
- Sneezing (1 person, 5.56%)
- Joint Swelling (1 person, 5.56%)
- Headache (1 person, 5.56%)
- Erythema Multiforme (1 person, 5.56%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Hives when taking Benadryl?
- Check symptoms - is hives caused by a drug or a condition?
- Get alerts to symptoms - forecast your symptoms and get alerts
- Join related support groups - you are not alone, join a support group on ehealth.me
- Report the side effect - help people in need and in real time
- More tools...
Browse all side effects of Benadryla b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Drugs that are associated with HivesHives
Could your condition cause HivesHives
Can you answer these questions?
You may be interested in these reviews
I have been losing,my hair for almost a month now. It falls out constantly in clumps. I have also had severe upset stomach. I was desperate to find answers, and I am so happy I found this website. I have been taking benadryl to prevent migraines and now believe this is what's causing the hair ...
I have been taking Benedryl daily for years on a repeat prescription from my GP because of allergies. I'm now struggling with slurred speech and swallowing - does anyone else have both these problems please?
I have high rt3 levels and am taking armour. I also take bendryll every day. I'm wondering if there is a connection. Also, I have been diagnosed with low testosterone. I"m wondering if there is an interaction there too. Thanks, Tom