Review: could Benadryl cause Itching?
Summary: Itching is found among people who take Benadryl, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Prednisone, and have Itching.
We study 26,437 people who have side effects while taking Benadryl from FDA and social media. Among them, 1,622 have Itching. Find out below who they are, when they have Itching and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Benadryl and have Itching >>>
Benadryl has active ingredients of diphenhydramine hydrochloride. It is often used in allergies. (latest outcomes from 29,401 Benadryl users)
Itching has been reported by people with high blood cholesterol, high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, pain, multiple sclerosis. (latest reports from 88,320 Itching patients)
On Apr, 13, 2015: 26,437 people reported to have side effects when taking Benadryl. Among them, 1,581 people (5.98%) have Itching.
Time on Benadryl when people have Itching * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Itching when taking Benadryl * :
Age of people who have Itching when taking Benadryl * :
Severity of Itching when taking Benadryl ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Itching ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Pruritus (112 people, 7.08%)
- Multiple sclerosis (90 people, 5.69%)
- Crohn's disease (76 people, 4.81%)
- Pain (68 people, 4.30%)
- Hypertension (66 people, 4.17%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Prednisone (240 people, 15.18%)
- Remicade (164 people, 10.37%)
- Decadron (149 people, 9.42%)
- Aspirin (146 people, 9.23%)
- Coumadin (126 people, 7.97%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of benadryl and itching on
Do you have Itching while taking Benadryl?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Benadryl and have Itching
- support group for people who take Benadryl
- support group for people who have Itching
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Flonase, Voltaren for a 65-year old man with Allergy To Animal, Inflammation Localised. The patient has Itching
- A study of drug interactions between Sitagliptin Phosphate, Omeprazole, Prednisolone, Levothyroxine Sodium, Metformin for a 68-year old woman with Diabetes Mellitus Non Insulin-dependent, Gallstones, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Hypothyroidism, Diabetes Mellitus Non-insulin-dependent. The patient has Itching
- A study of drug interactions between Restoril, Geodon, Brintellix, Ativan, Topamax, Lamictal for a 36-year old woman with Insomnia, Bipolar Ii Disorder, Anxiety. The patient has Macule, Dry Skin, Blisters, Hives, Itching - Burning Eyes, Itching
- A study of drug interactions between Allegra D 24 Hour, Claritin-d 24 Hour, Zyrtec Allergy, Vyvanse, Benadryl for a 25-year old woman with Hay Fever, Adhd, Insomnia. The patient has Photosensitive Rash
- A study of drug interactions between Omeprazole, Zopiclone, Paracetamol, Ibuprofen, Bisacodyl, Sertraline, Gabapentin, Morphine, Morphine Sulfate for a 42-year old woman with Ulcer - Stomach, Insomnia, Fibromyalgia, Constipation, Depression, Degenerative Joint Disease. The patient has Confusion, Blurred Vision, Constipation, Toothaches, Tooth Decay, Depression, Dizziness Exertional, Muscular Weakness, Itching, Eczema Exacerbated, Neck Pain, Headache, Tooth Loss, Recurrent Leg Pain And Cramping, Loss Of Sensation, Numbness And Tingling, Paresthesias, Sensory Loss, Tingling And Numbness, Fatigue - Chronic, Weight Gain, Food Hoarding, Food Craving, Abdominal Bloating, Ocular Migraine, Stomach Pain, Bedwetting
Recent Benadryl related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.