Benadryl and Itching - from FDA reports
Itching is found among people who take Benadryl, especially for people who are female, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Tylenol, and have Multiple sclerosis. This review analyzes which people have Itching with Benadryl. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 44,874 people who have side effects when taking Benadryl from FDA , and is updated regularly.
What to expect?
You are not alone!
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
On Sep, 20, 2017
44,874 people reported to have side effects when taking Benadryl.
Among them, 2,836 people (6.32%) have Itching
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Benadryl when people have Itching *:
- < 1 month: 91.55 %
- 1 - 6 months: 6.1 %
- 6 - 12 months: 1.41 %
- 1 - 2 years: 0.0 %
- 2 - 5 years: 0.94 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.0 %
- 10+ years: 0.0 %
Gender of people who have Itching when taking Benadryl *:
- female: 72.29 %
- male: 27.71 %
Age of people who have Itching when taking Benadryl *:
- 0-1: 0.05 %
- 2-9: 1.62 %
- 10-19: 2.48 %
- 20-29: 5.23 %
- 30-39: 12.81 %
- 40-49: 18.09 %
- 50-59: 24.76 %
- 60+: 34.96 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Multiple Sclerosis (180 people, 6.35%)
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (165 people, 5.82%)
- Pain (144 people, 5.08%)
- Crohn's Disease (134 people, 4.72%)
- High Blood Pressure (123 people, 4.34%)
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Tylenol (409 people, 14.42%)
- Remicade (257 people, 9.06%)
- Prednisone (241 people, 8.50%)
- Decadron (204 people, 7.19%)
- Zyrtec (178 people, 6.28%)
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Rashes (1,013 people, 35.72%)
- Urticaria (578 people, 20.38%)
- Nausea (437 people, 15.41%)
- Fatigue (413 people, 14.56%)
- Breathing Difficulty (411 people, 14.49%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Do you have Itching when taking Benadryl?
- Check symptoms - is itching caused by a drug or a condition?
- Get alerts to symptoms - forecast your symptoms and get alerts
- Join related support groups - you are not alone, join a support group on ehealth.me
- Report the side effect - help people in need and in real time
- Ask a question - ask a question related to the study
- write a review - share your experience related to the study
- More tools...
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsItching and drugs with ingredients of diphenhydramine hydrochloride.
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMeItching and Benadryl from FDA and eHealthMe reports
Benadryl has active ingredients of diphenhydramine hydrochloride. It is often used in allergies. (latest outcomes from Benadryl 49,081 users)
Itching has been reported by people with rheumatoid arthritis, high blood cholesterol (latest reports from 165,436 Itching patients).
Browse all side effects of Benadryla b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Drugs that are associated with ItchingItching
Could your condition cause ItchingItching
What would happen?
Questions to the study
Honestly I will never take this pill ever again. I wish I could say I only felt drowsy . At first I did and then I started getting these really sad and depressive thoughts and I know it's the pill because I had a great day. I start crying for no reason . My boyfriend asked me what was wrong and ...
User reviews to the study
Should you take Benadryl for an allergy when you have multiple pulmonary embolisms, pulmonary hypertension, I am now on 24 hour oxygen as of Tuesday, May 23, the right chamber of my heart is markedly enlarged and a history of of other heart issues i.e., stent placement in the LAD and ...
I have been on Tamsulosin for almost 10 months. However, I have noticed in the last few weeks of itching. I have also noticed some rashes in my scrap. I just took a dose tonight and started noticing this weard sensation and feeling as if ants are crawling over me. I took a Benadryl to help ...
I have been taking Benadryl for several years for allergy. I also have taken large doses of it over a few years when I had anaphylactic shock from a cancer pill. After getting off the cancer pill, it took a few years to get over the severe allergic reactions. It was during this time that my ...