Could Benadryl cause Itching - from FDA reports
Itching is found among people who take Benadryl, especially for people who are female, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Tylenol, and have Multiple sclerosis . We study 38,828 people who have side effects while taking Benadryl from FDA. Among them, 2,399 have Itching. Find out below who they are, when they have Itching and more.
What to expect?
You are not alone!
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
Benadryl has active ingredients of diphenhydramine hydrochloride. It is often used in allergies. (latest outcomes from Benadryl 44,671 users)
Itching has been reported by people with high blood cholesterol, rheumatoid arthritis (latest reports from 150,264 Itching patients).
On Nov, 24, 2016
38,828 people reported to have side effects when taking Benadryl.
Among them, 2,399 people (6.18%) have Itching
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Benadryl when people have Itching *:
- < 1 month: 86.98 %
- 1 - 6 months: 8.37 %
- 6 - 12 months: 1.4 %
- 1 - 2 years: 1.4 %
- 2 - 5 years: 0.47 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.47 %
- 10+ years: 0.93 %
Gender of people who have Itching when taking Benadryl *:
- female: 72.13 %
- male: 27.87 %
Age of people who have Itching when taking Benadryl *:
- 0-1: 0.05 %
- 2-9: 1.7 %
- 10-19: 2.55 %
- 20-29: 5.89 %
- 30-39: 12.47 %
- 40-49: 19.11 %
- 50-59: 24.52 %
- 60+: 33.7 %
Severity of Itching **:
- least: 0.0 %
- moderate: 36.84 %
- severe: 42.11 %
- most severe: 21.05 %
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Tylenol (346 people, 14.42%)
- Remicade (245 people, 10.21%)
- Prednisone (204 people, 8.50%)
- Decadron (189 people, 7.88%)
- Solu-Medrol (127 people, 5.29%)
Forecasts by ePatient.care (We will alert you to new symptoms or undetected conditions when you take Benadryl, learn more )
Potential co-existing conditions
- Multiple Sclerosis (155 people, 6.46%)
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (141 people, 5.88%)
- Pain (125 people, 5.21%)
- Crohn's Disease (123 people, 5.13%)
Potential co-existing symptoms
- Rashes (846 people, 35.26%)
- Urticaria (469 people, 19.55%)
- Nausea (341 people, 14.21%)
- Breathing Difficulty (319 people, 13.30%)
- Fatigue (296 people, 12.34%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Itching when taking Benadryl?
- Check symptoms - is itching caused by a drug or a condition?
- Get alerts to symptoms - forecast your symptoms and get alerts
- Join related support groups - you are not alone, join a support group on ehealth.me
- Report the side effect - help people in need and in real time
- More tools...
Browse all side effects of Benadryla b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Drugs that are associated with ItchingItching
Could your condition cause ItchingItching
Can you answer these questions?
You may be interested in these reviews
I have been taking phenergan for a couple of months. No prescription was required so I completely unaware that I was taking a habit forming drug. The reason I started taking it was because I was having trouble sleeping. My husband had just been diagnosed with Liver cancer and my twin sister ...
Hello BEFORE ITCHING I am 83 years old, Asian race, Vietnamese, I stay in France since 1961. I have de Bronchi Dilatation smore than 40 years uo now. Almost every month I had the Bronchitis decease and i took the antibiotic medicine everytime. 30 years ago, almost antibiotic had no more ...