Review: could Benadryl cause Panic attack (Panic disorder)?
Summary: Panic attack is found among people who take Benadryl, especially for people who are female, 40-49 old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Prozac, and have Pain.
We study 26,437 people who have side effects while taking Benadryl from FDA and social media. Among them, 136 have Panic attack. Find out below who they are, when they have Panic attack and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Benadryl and have Panic attack >>>
Benadryl has active ingredients of diphenhydramine hydrochloride. It is often used in allergies. (latest outcomes from 29,397 Benadryl users)
Panic attack has been reported by people with depression, stress and anxiety, quit smoking, panic disorder, pain. (latest reports from 24,834 Panic attack patients)
On Mar, 14, 2015: 26,435 people reported to have side effects when taking Benadryl. Among them, 136 people (0.51%) have Panic Attack.
Time on Benadryl when people have Panic attack * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Panic attack||33.33%||22.22%||0.00%||11.11%||11.11%||11.11%||11.11% |
Gender of people who have Panic attack when taking Benadryl * :
|Panic attack||74.65%||25.35% |
Age of people who have Panic attack when taking Benadryl * :
|Panic attack||0.00%||0.00%||3.33%||15.83%||12.50%||46.67%||15.83%||5.83% |
Severity of Panic attack when taking Benadryl ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Panic attack||0.00%||28.57%||28.57%||42.86% |
How people recovered from Panic attack ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Panic attack||0.00%||66.67%||33.33% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Pain (18 people, 13.24%)
- Depression (13 people, 9.56%)
- Bipolar disorder (9 people, 6.62%)
- Panic attack (9 people, 6.62%)
- Muscle spasms (8 people, 5.88%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Prozac (24 people, 17.65%)
- Klonopin (24 people, 17.65%)
- Percocet (23 people, 16.91%)
- Xanax (22 people, 16.18%)
- Vicodin (22 people, 16.18%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
Comments for this study:
Dave (2 years ago):
Just a quick comment on Benadryl-caused panic attacks. Last Xmas was extremely stressful. I ran out of my Xanax, and could not get a refill. I know that Gravol anti-nauseant has the same drug in it as Benadryl, so I bought a pack of Benadryl to ease my anxiety. I took 2, 50 mg. Benadryl's, and within 20 minutes I was experiencing the WORST panic attack I have ever had. I was hearing and seeing things, couldn't breath, kept getting mini-seizures. I took LSD once as a 17 year old and had a 48 hour long, extremely bad "trip" on the LSD. The Benadryl was at least 10x worse than the LSD.
50 year old male
perfect physical health
I am just wondering why Gravol has a "good" effect on me, but Benadryl, with the same active ingredient causes the severe panic attacks. I am wondering if the makers of Benadryl add amphetamine salt to the Benadryl as I hear amphetamines are useful for breathing problems due to allergies..am I correct?
Reply the comment
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of benadryl and panic attack on
Do you have Panic Attack while taking Benadryl?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Benadryl and have Panic Attack
- support group for people who take Benadryl
- support group for people who have Panic Attack
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Benadryl for a 56-year old woman with Hives. The patient has Loss Of Taste
- A study of side effects of Synthroid for a 50-year old woman with Hypothyroidism. The patient has Panic Attacks
- A study of side effects of Benadryl for a 41-year old woman with Bee Sting. The patient has Vomiting
- A study of side effects of Citalopram Hydrobromide for a 34-year old woman with Generalised Anxiety Disorder. The patient has Panic Attacks
- A study of drug interactions between Carisoprodol, Clonazepam, Levothyroxine Sodium, Estradiol, Sulindac, Lactulose, Probiotics, Benadryl, Strattera, Glucosamine And Chondroitin Sulfate And MSM for a 75-year old woman with Arthritis, Sleep Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition, Low Thyroid, Hormone Level Abnormal, Reactive Arthritis, Dairy Product Intolerance, Acid Base Balance Abnormal, Sinusitis, Listless, Depression - Elderly. The patient has Increased Bloating And Indigestion, Digestive Tract Abnormality
Recent Benadryl related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.