Review: could Benadryl cause Ringing in the ears (Tinnitus)?
Summary: Ringing in the ears is found among people who take Benadryl, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Zometa, and have High blood pressure.
We study 26,437 people who have side effects while taking Benadryl from FDA and social media. Among them, 194 have Ringing in the ears. Find out below who they are, when they have Ringing in the ears and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Benadryl and have Ringing in the ears >>>
Benadryl has active ingredients of diphenhydramine hydrochloride. It is often used in allergies. (latest outcomes from 29,397 Benadryl users)
Ringing in the ears
Ringing in the ears (a ringing in the ears) has been reported by people with depression, high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, osteoporosis, stress and anxiety. (latest reports from 20,019 Ringing in the ears patients)
On Mar, 13, 2015: 26,435 people reported to have side effects when taking Benadryl. Among them, 194 people (0.73%) have Ringing In The Ears.
Time on Benadryl when people have Ringing in the ears * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Ringing in the ears||60.87%||0.00%||0.00%||17.39%||8.70%||8.70%||4.35% |
Gender of people who have Ringing in the ears when taking Benadryl * :
|Ringing in the ears||65.66%||34.34% |
Age of people who have Ringing in the ears when taking Benadryl * :
|Ringing in the ears||0.00%||0.61%||1.23%||2.45%||3.68%||15.95%||29.45%||46.63% |
Severity of Ringing in the ears when taking Benadryl ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Ringing in the ears||8.33%||50.00%||41.67%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Ringing in the ears ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Ringing in the ears||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Hypertension (29 people, 14.95%)
- Seborrhoeic dermatitis (21 people, 10.82%)
- Diarrhoea (21 people, 10.82%)
- Blood cholesterol (21 people, 10.82%)
- Fluid retention (21 people, 10.82%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Zometa (59 people, 30.41%)
- Flexeril (41 people, 21.13%)
- Diazepam (38 people, 19.59%)
- Protonix (38 people, 19.59%)
- Aspirin (37 people, 19.07%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of benadryl and ringing in the ears on
Do you have Ringing In The Ears while taking Benadryl?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Benadryl and have Ringing In The Ears
- support group for people who take Benadryl
- support group for people who have Ringing In The Ears
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Benadryl for a 56-year old woman with Hives. The patient has Loss Of Taste
- A study of side effects of Colofac for a 66-year old woman with IBS. The patient has Tinnitus (a ringing in the ears)
- A study of side effects of Budesonide for a 57-year old woman with Crohn's Disease. The patient has Ringing In The Ears (a ringing in the ears)
- A study of side effects of Effexor for a 39-year old woman with Anxiety. The patient has Ringing In The Ears (a ringing in the ears)
- A study of drug interactions between Nuvigil, Prazosin Hydrochloride, Viagra, Vitamin D, Prednisone, Pravastatin Sodium, Lisinopril, Bystolic, Zolpidem, Vitamin C, Lexapro, Lorazepam, Hydrocodone Bitartrate And Acetaminophen for a 68-year old man with Tiredness, Ptsd, Erectile Dysfunction, General Physical Condition, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, High Blood Cholesterol, Blood Pressure Increased, Coronary Artery Disease, Sleep Disorder Due To General Medical Condition, Insomnia Type, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Depression Suicidal, Anxiety Disorder, Chronic Pain. The patient has Tinnitus, Sleep Apnea, Erectile Dysfunction, Elevated Mood, Polymyalgia Rheumatica, Coronary Artery Disease, Major Depressive Disorder, Ptsd
Recent Benadryl related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.