Review: could Benadryl cause Shortness of breath (Breathing difficulty)?
Summary: Shortness of breath is found among people who take Benadryl, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Decadron, and have Crohn's disease.
We study 26,437 people who have side effects while taking Benadryl from FDA and social media. Among them, 2,484 have Shortness of breath. Find out below who they are, when they have Shortness of breath and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Benadryl and have Shortness of breath >>>
Benadryl has active ingredients of diphenhydramine hydrochloride. It is often used in allergies. (latest outcomes from 29,398 Benadryl users)
Shortness of breath
Shortness of breath has been reported by people with high blood pressure, asthma, rheumatoid arthritis, pain, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. (latest reports from 165,466 Shortness of breath patients)
On Apr, 13, 2015: 26,437 people reported to have side effects when taking Benadryl. Among them, 2,484 people (9.40%) have Shortness Of Breath.
Time on Benadryl when people have Shortness of breath * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Shortness of breath||90.77%||6.27%||1.11%||0.00%||0.74%||0.74%||0.37% |
Gender of people who have Shortness of breath when taking Benadryl * :
|Shortness of breath||68.41%||31.59% |
Age of people who have Shortness of breath when taking Benadryl * :
|Shortness of breath||0.05%||2.41%||4.50%||7.23%||11.40%||16.69%||24.57%||33.15% |
Severity of Shortness of breath when taking Benadryl ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Shortness of breath||14.29%||14.29%||42.86%||28.57% |
How people recovered from Shortness of breath ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Shortness of breath||33.33%||0.00%||66.67% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Crohn's disease (168 people, 6.76%)
- Pain (167 people, 6.72%)
- Hypertension (121 people, 4.87%)
- Breast cancer (110 people, 4.43%)
- Depression (107 people, 4.31%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Decadron (454 people, 18.28%)
- Zometa (382 people, 15.38%)
- Zofran (338 people, 13.61%)
- Aspirin (330 people, 13.29%)
- Remicade (316 people, 12.72%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of benadryl and shortness of breath on
Do you have Shortness Of Breath while taking Benadryl?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Benadryl and have Shortness Of Breath
- support group for people who take Benadryl
- support group for people who have Shortness Of Breath
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Zanaflex, Klonopin, Vicodin, Fentanyl-50, Sinemet Cr, Seroquel, Depakote Er for a 58-year old woman with Muscle Contractions Involuntary, Anxiety Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition, Chronic Pain, Failed Back Surgery Syndrome, Parkinson's Disease, Psychosis. The patient has Shortness Of Breath, Muscle Cramps Aggravated, Sweating Fever, Congestive Heart Failure, Hallucinations
- A study of side effects of Diamox for a 38-year old woman with Ih. The patient has Intranasal Numbness, Tiredness, Muscle Cramps, Shortness Of Breath, Kidney Palpable, Insomnia
- A study of drug interactions between Remicade, Methotrexate for a 47-year old woman with Sarcoidosis. The patient has Burning Eyes, Burning Eyes, Shortness Of Breath, Painful Respiration
- A study of drug interactions between Allegra D 24 Hour, Claritin-d 24 Hour, Zyrtec Allergy, Vyvanse, Benadryl for a 25-year old woman with Hay Fever, Adhd, Insomnia. The patient has Photosensitive Rash
- A study of side effects of Neurontin for a 49-year old woman with Pain - Breast. The patient has Shortness Of Breath
Recent Benadryl related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.