Review: could Benicar cause Dry eye (Dry eyes)?
Summary: Dry eye is found among people who take Benicar, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Zometa, and have Osteoporosis.
We study 12,894 people who have side effects while taking Benicar from FDA and social media. Among them, 71 have Dry eye. Find out below who they are, when they have Dry eye and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Benicar and have Dry eye >>>
Benicar has active ingredients of olmesartan medoxomil. It is often used in high blood pressure. (latest outcomes from Benicar 13,745 users)
Dry eye (lack of adequate tears) has been reported by people with high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, acne, depression.(latest reports from Dry eye 12,196 patients)
On Nov, 28, 2014: 12,894 people reported to have side effects when taking Benicar. Among them, 71 people (0.55%) have Dry Eye.
Time on Benicar when people have Dry eye * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Dry eye||66.67%||33.33%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Dry eye when taking Benicar * :
|Dry eye||68.57%||31.43% |
Age of people who have Dry eye when taking Benicar * :
|Dry eye||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||6.90%||12.07%||81.03% |
Severity of Dry eye when taking Benicar ** :
How people recovered from Dry eye ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Osteoporosis (18 people, 25.35%)
- Hypertension (12 people, 16.90%)
- Multiple myeloma (11 people, 15.49%)
- Glaucoma (5 people, 7.04%)
- Hypothyroidism (5 people, 7.04%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Zometa (28 people, 39.44%)
- Mirapex (27 people, 38.03%)
- Lisinopril (26 people, 36.62%)
- Spironolactone (22 people, 30.99%)
- Clindamycin (21 people, 29.58%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Dry Eye while taking Benicar?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Benicar and have Dry Eye
- support group for people who take Benicar
- support group for people who have Dry Eye
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
More questions for: Benicar, Dry eye
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Pantoprazole dry eyes
started at 5 days after starting the treatment. no other medications or suplements taken. tear drops do not help. putting a tiny amount of stJohn's worth oil at the bottom of the eyes provokes tears and gives a better result. will consider changing the medication for my acid reflux condition.
- Hypercalcemia during use of fluconizole over 6 months
Post diverticulitis surgery multiple my mother was on multiple antibiotics but the most consistent one was Fluconizole. After release, she was slowly taken off other antibiotics being left on Fluconizole for abscesses that would not go away and eventually needed to be surgically removed. After repeated setbacks of being re admitted to the hospital for hypercalcemia with symptoms of nausea, vomiting we sought out tests to determine cause. Multiple myeloma, parathyroid issues were ruled out. After almost six months my mother was taken off the anti fungal Fluconizole and I was expecting to have to return her to the hospital for another hypercalcemia event within 2 to 2.5 weeks of being discharged, but alas it has been a month to the day and her calcium levels are starting to stabilize. On another note, her white counts had been elevated beyond 11.5 and as high as 39 for 5 1/2 months and finally after getting off of Fluconizole her wBC's are sitting at 10.5, which is better than we have seen since June 2013. Just to mention, my mothers calcium levels when peaked to cause symptoms of nausea and vomiting would generally be at 13-17.
- Libido decreased with erectile dysfunction by using olmesartan 20 mg. daily
Libido decreased with erectile dysfunction by using Olmesartan 20 mg. daily.
Other related / associated conditions : anxiety and work stress
- Fibromyalgia & related health issues (3 responses)
Fibromyalgia dx after pregnancy of only child at 42/other dx followed and seem to be in conjunction. heart issues did not appear until after the use of fibro meds- cymbalta, lyrica, neurontin, and more. had 1 seizure believed to be related to seretonin syndrome/years and years of mistreatment by doctors. unable to recall how many docs and meds through the years. one other very significant issue- after tooth extraction had puncture to left maxillary sinus-after YEARS of neglect by docs, found max. & ethmoid sinus completely opaque on CAT scan. Had surgery. Now, years later, have mucous plug that sporadically comes out upon sneezing. Fairly recent CAT scan shows sinuses again completely opaque. Certain needs further attention, but basically afraid to go through surgery again. Also- may have had heart attack. ER visit said no, but shortly after, had abnormal ekg. Again, neglect from docs. Am now active advocate for fm/chronic pain patients. Disgusted by the whole lack of interest of medical community. Looking for answers through my own research to try to find a way to improve quality of life...
- Benicar caused pink eye
When taking Benicar, my sinuses have been effected. They swell and it's difficult to breathe through my nose. Last night (9/21) I went to the ER for severe conjunctivitis. I am allergic to penicillin, so believe after reading several articles on this drug that I'm suffering from this condiition due to the Benicar. I'm going to stop using it right away, and call my doctor tomorrow morning. So, change your number from 15 to 16 who have had pink eye while on this medication. I'd be interested to know if the other 15 people also experienced sinus problems while on Benicar. Thank you for this forum.
More reviews for: Benicar, Dry eye
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- Was on sulfasalazine but made me unwell...changed to methotrexate but stopped because of blood results. Have raised blood sugar from steroids.
Frequent urinary tract infections and self catheterisation. Retinal haemorrhage ( blots and dots) just discovered by optician with severe dry eyes
- I was on Zetia for about a year for high cholesterol. I couldn't take statin drugs. 6 months into taking Zetia I went to my eye doctor for a routine checkup. He found severe scarring of the cornea in both eyes. I did not relate it to medication at this time. I went to a cornea specialist and she is ...
- I have been experiencing symptoms of dry eye, stinging and burning and dryness in my eyes for 10 years shortly after being put on lamictal. I'm trying to see if there is anyone else who has experienced this.
- Been incapacitated since xmas 2010, unable to work, life has been destroyed. Crawled away from abusive relationship, lost everything. Social Security is fighting me, it's disgusting. Doctors are wretched and worthless.
- Every Saturday, I take my 100 mg dose earlier than usual (typically 2-3 hours earlier) due to working the Farmer's Markets. We may be under a tent, but it doesn't block out all sun while it is coming up to the high noon position. I am out in the sun for around 5 hours. By then, I have sweated out an ...
More related studies for: Benicar, Dry eye
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.