Review: could Boniva cause Gastric ulcer?
Summary: Gastric ulcer is found among people who take Boniva, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Fosamax, and have Osteoporosis.
We study 16,170 people who have side effects while taking Boniva from FDA and social media. Among them, 173 have Gastric ulcer. Find out below who they are, when they have Gastric ulcer and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Boniva and have Gastric ulcer >>>
Boniva has active ingredients of ibandronate sodium. It is often used in osteoporosis. (latest outcomes from 16,362 Boniva users)
Gastric ulcer (stomach ulcer) has been reported by people with osteoporosis, high blood pressure, pain, rheumatoid arthritis, arthritis. (latest reports from 31,741 Gastric ulcer patients)
On Mar, 11, 2015: 16,170 people reported to have side effects when taking Boniva. Among them, 173 people (1.07%) have Gastric Ulcer.
Time on Boniva when people have Gastric ulcer * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Gastric ulcer||7.29%||16.67%||9.38%||19.79%||46.88%||0.00%||0.00% |
Age of people who have Gastric ulcer when taking Boniva * :
|Gastric ulcer||0.00%||0.00%||0.51%||0.00%||0.51%||10.20%||25.51%||63.27% |
Severity of Gastric ulcer when taking Boniva ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Gastric ulcer||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
How people recovered from Gastric ulcer ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Gastric ulcer||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Osteoporosis (157 people, 90.75%)
- Osteopenia (64 people, 36.99%)
- Pain in jaw (12 people, 6.94%)
- Breast cancer (12 people, 6.94%)
- Coeliac disease (12 people, 6.94%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Fosamax (126 people, 72.83%)
- Actonel (30 people, 17.34%)
- Levothyroxine sodium (26 people, 15.03%)
- Alendronate sodium (26 people, 15.03%)
- Levothroid (25 people, 14.45%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of boniva and gastric ulcer on
Do you have Gastric Ulcer while taking Boniva?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Boniva and have Gastric Ulcer
- support group for people who take Boniva
- support group for people who have Gastric Ulcer
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Recent Boniva related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Alendronate Sodium, Risedronate Sodium, Ibandronate Sodium for a 74-year old woman who has Osteoporosis Post-menopausal
- Comparions of Ibandronate Sodium, Alendronate Sodium, Risedronate Sodium, Actonel for a 72-year old woman who has Osteoporosis
- Comparions of Actonel, Boniva, Prolia for a 76-year old woman who has Osteopenia
- Comparions of Boniva, Fosamax Plus D, Fosamax, Prolia for a 63-year old woman who has Osteoporosis Post-menopausal
- Comparions of Lansoprazole, Amoxicillin And Clarithromycin, Ibandronate Sodium, Capecitabine for a 63-year old woman who has Metastases To Liver
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.