Review: could Botox cause Stevens-johnson syndrome (Erythema multiforme)?
Summary: Stevens-johnson syndrome is found among people who take Botox, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Botox purified neurotoxin complex, and have Torticollis.
We study 12,792 people who have side effects while taking Botox from FDA and social media. Among them, 6 have Stevens-johnson syndrome. Find out below who they are, when they have Stevens-johnson syndrome and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Botox and have Stevens-johnson syndrome >>>
Botox has active ingredients of botulinum toxin type a. It is often used in aging changes in skin. (latest outcomes from Botox 12,976 users)
Stevens-johnson syndrome (an immune-complex-mediated hypersensitivity disorder. it ranges from mild skin and mucous membrane lesions to a severe) has been reported by people with convulsion, high blood pressure, epilepsy, ill-defined disorder, bipolar disorder.(latest reports from Stevens-johnson syndrome 27,899 patients)
On Nov, 27, 2014: 12,792 people reported to have side effects when taking Botox. Among them, 6 people (0.05%) have Stevens-johnson Syndrome.
Time on Botox when people have Stevens-johnson syndrome * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Stevens-johnson syndrome||80.00%||0.00%||0.00%||20.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Stevens-johnson syndrome when taking Botox * :
|Stevens-johnson syndrome||14.29%||85.71% |
Age of people who have Stevens-johnson syndrome when taking Botox * :
|Stevens-johnson syndrome||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Severity of Stevens-johnson syndrome when taking Botox ** :
How people recovered from Stevens-johnson syndrome ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Torticollis (3 people, 50.00%)
- Myokymia (1 people, 16.67%)
- Muscle spasticity (1 people, 16.67%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Botox purified neurotoxin complex (2 people, 33.33%)
- Nivadil (1 people, 16.67%)
- Trental (1 people, 16.67%)
- Artane (1 people, 16.67%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Stevens-johnson Syndrome while taking Botox?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Botox and have Stevens-johnson Syndrome
- support group for people who take Botox
- support group for people who have Stevens-johnson Syndrome
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Can you have botox injections in face when taking votrient
I would like to know if anyone taking Votrient has had cosmetic Botox injections. If so have you had any reaction?
- Has anyone experienced getting perioral dermatitis after botox injections?
Approx. 1 year ago perioral dermatitis on my face occured.
My skin was always very nice and quite resistant.
Never suffered from eczema, acne or anything like that.
When I tried to figure out the reason, the only thing, which comes on my mind is, I had had botox injections about month before my dermatitis started. Has anyone experienced sth similar? Thanks Adela
- Can botox for migraines cause sleep apnea?
I had botox injections for non-stop migraines on Sept, 3rd. Last night(3 weeks later) my throat closed off completely while sleeping at least 3 times. This is the first round of botox, but my face swelled and I had itching sensations inside my nose and chest happened approx. 2 hours after the injections. It feels like there is a flap in my throat that is closing off my air and I have to cough and gasp to get air. Anybody else have this problem?
The doctor only injected the side of my head that the migraines are occurring, he put 2 or 3 injections in the back of my head, close to the bottom of head.
The doctor thinks it is unrelated to the injections, but why is it happening now and not any time before the injections?
- Can i connect by email with other patients that have hypoglycemia and stevens-johnson syndrome? (1 answer)
I have had hypoglycemia since childhood, and I have managed it easily until just this weekend. I got S-J two years ago from Bactrim. As I have healed from S-J very slowly and painfully, I was exercising hard, and working hard and slipped a little on not eating enough protein. I started dropping into sugar blackouts and it scared the crap out of me! Still working at being able to eat enough to straighten out low sugar levels. Any suggestions helpful, Thanks, Leann
- Can botox cause heart murmors
I have started having heart flutters I may have had these befor I started using botox I also have underactive tyroids and i am on 25mg of tyroxine
More questions for: Botox, Stevens-johnson syndrome
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Aleve and erythema multiforme
I started exercising (walking outside)and due to sore knees I started taking Aleve. Within days I developed blisters on my chest, back, face, and inside my mouth. Mouth blisters were severe enough that I could only consume liquids. After 7-10 days the blisters scabbed over. This occurred three times within a two month period, the last time I had blisters around my eyes with physician concern of eye involvement but it did not happen. During the second round I went to a dermatologist and he determined that I had Erythema Multiforme and the cause was either a strep throat or Aleve. A second opinion determined it was Aleve partly because strep throat is not normally associated with EM. I have stopped taking Aleve and am EM free for 15 months.
- Botox and dry eye pain
I have severe dry eye, very painful at night, with gritty feeling 75% of the day. Drops such as gels, liquids, were used (Muro 128, genteal). Then switched to preservative free drops which have helped by 90%.
There is research about the injection of botox into crows feet and causing dry eye. This may be reversible and I am waiting to see whether the problem subsides and my condition returns to normal. I also have the feeling that my lids have slackened and are not fitting together closely. This is another effect of botox around the eye socket, in crows feet and centrally under the lower lid.
- Stevens johnson syndrome- flagyl for h.pylori (1 response)
Diagnosed with h.pylori with positive blood work and breath-test.
Started 7 day course of Amoxycillin and Flagyl .
On day 7, developed symptoms- large red 2inch hives on legs, extreme frontal headache , pressure behind eyes, pink eye, pain in eyes, sore throat, very slight fever and body ache. Last dose of Flagyl and Amoxycillin was not taken. Symptoms disappeared after 48 hours.
Abdominal pain returned after month.
Started 2nd treatment to eradicate h.pylori. After 3rd dose of Tetracyline and Flagyl, developed same Stevens Johnsons symptoms --large hives, low grade fever, eye pain and redness, extreme headache, pressure behind eyes, sore throat and feeling of impending doom. Stopped taking antibiotics, symptoms disappeared in 48 hours.
Evaluation- I am extremely allergic to Flagyl. I required allergy testing to determine which antibiotics I can safely take in the future.
More reviews for: Botox, Stevens-johnson syndrome
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- I have had this rash with severe itching and diagnosed as erythema multiforme minor for about two weeks. It started with my palms feeling red and itchy and progressed to scalp,face,forearms,calves and a bit on thighs and waiste. I have been taking the hydroxyzine since the diagnosis, usually only at ...
- I have taken botox a week ago. After that my blood pressure raised. Although I was taking blood pressure pill before it did not affect anymore and my blood pressure raised to 150/100 sometimes 160/100. I am consulting my doctor right now to take multiple blood pressure pills in or to lower my blood ...
- I am recovering from reconstructive facial surgery and fat transfer due to the loss of subcutaneous fat loss. I am waiting for authorization to have surgery for the injury of my buttocks. I have Doctor reports confirming Celebrex is the cause for all my injuries.
- I'm currently 19 years old, and I've been on generic Zoloft 50 mg (AKA sertraline) since I was 13 due to anxiety attacks after the death of my sister. At first it didn't help much, but I kept with it to see if it would eventually help me. I started having bad anxiety again at 15 and was bumped up to ...
- After botox got shingles (all three occasions, which were after the shingles shot) Prior to vaccine, I had botox injections for over 15 years and never contacted shingles. I directly the shingles with the botox injections after the shingles vaccine.
More related studies for: Botox, Stevens-johnson syndrome
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.