Home > Botox > Stevens-johnson syndrome > Botox and Stevens-johnson syndrome
Review: could Botox cause Stevens-johnson syndrome (Erythema multiforme)?
Summary: Stevens-johnson syndrome is found among people who take Botox, especially for people who are male, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Botox purified neurotoxin complex, and have Torticollis.
We study 12,791 people who have side effects while taking Botox from FDA and social media. Among them, 6 have Stevens-johnson syndrome. Find out below who they are, when they have Stevens-johnson syndrome and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Botox and have Stevens-johnson syndrome >>>
Botox (latest outcomes from 12,975 users) has active ingredients of botulinum toxin type a. It is often used in aging changes in skin.
Stevens-johnson syndrome (an immune-complex-mediated hypersensitivity disorder. it ranges from mild skin and mucous membrane lesions to a severe) (latest reports from 136,181 patients) has been reported by people with convulsion, high blood pressure, epilepsy, ill-defined disorder, fever.
On Oct, 25, 2014: 12,789 people reported to have side effects when taking Botox. Among them, 6 people (0.05%) have Stevens-johnson Syndrome.
Time on Botox when people have Stevens-johnson syndrome * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Stevens-johnson syndrome||80.00%||0.00%||0.00%||20.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Stevens-johnson syndrome when taking Botox * :
|Stevens-johnson syndrome||14.29%||85.71% |
Age of people who have Stevens-johnson syndrome when taking Botox * :
|Stevens-johnson syndrome||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Severity of Stevens-johnson syndrome when taking Botox ** :
How people recovered from Stevens-johnson syndrome ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Torticollis (3 people, 50.00%)
- Myokymia (1 people, 16.67%)
- Muscle spasticity (1 people, 16.67%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Botox purified neurotoxin complex (2 people, 33.33%)
- Nivadil (1 people, 16.67%)
- Trental (1 people, 16.67%)
- Artane (1 people, 16.67%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Stevens-johnson Syndrome while taking Botox?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Botox and have Stevens-johnson Syndrome
- support group for people who take Botox
- support group for people who have Stevens-johnson Syndrome
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Can botox for migraines cause sleep apnea?
(Asked by a 60 year old man who has Had Botox Injections For Migraine Relief, Now My Throat Is Closing Up While Sleeping, and takes Botox)
I had botox injections for non-stop migraines on Sept, 3rd. Last night(3 weeks later) my throat closed off completely while sleeping at least 3 times. This is the first round of botox, but my face swelled and I had itching sensations inside my nose and chest happened approx. 2 hours after the inject ...
- Can i connect by email with other patients that have hypoglycemia and stevens-johnson syndrome?
(Asked by a 52 year old woman who has Shingles Virus, Back Injury, MRSA Infection, Stevens Johnson Syndrome, Hypoglycemia, and takes Alcohol, Baclofen, Hydrocodone Bitartrate And Acetaminophen)
I have had hypoglycemia since childhood, and I have managed it easily until just this weekend. I got S-J two years ago from Bactrim. As I have healed from S-J very slowly and painfully, I was exercising hard, and working hard and slipped a little on not eating enough protein. I started dropping into ...
- Can botox cause heart murmors
(Asked by a 57 year old woman who has Heart Flutters, and takes Botox Cosmetic)
I have started having heart flutters I may have had these befor I started using botox I also have underactive tyroids and i am on 25mg of tyroxine
- How to overcome sleep disorder fr sjs ?
(Asked by a 44 year old man who has Sjs, and takes Augmentin)
My husband is recovering fr sjs and is facing sleep disorder since one month ago. Pls help us..
- Has anyone besides me have blepharospasm after trigeminal neurology sugery
(Asked by a 67 year old woman who has Blepharospasm, Trigeminal Neuralgia, and takes Botox, Tegretol)
After Gamma Knife surgery for Trigeminal Neurology(a nerve problem) I later(4 years) was diagnosed with Blepharospasm/Meige Syndrome. Botox injections have been less than effective. Then I recently had Trigeminal Cyber Knife surgery on the other side of my face and still have nerve sensations on t ...
More questions for: Botox, Stevens-johnson syndrome
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Aleve and erythema multiforme
(Posted by a 66 year old man who has Erythema Multiforme, and takes Aleve)
I started exercising (walking outside)and due to sore knees I started taking Aleve. Within days I developed blisters on my chest, back, face, and inside my mouth. Mouth blisters were severe enough that I could only consume liquids. After 7-10 days the blisters scabbed over. This occurred three t ...
- Botox and dry eye pain
(Posted by a 71 year old woman who has Painful Dry Eye At Night, and takes Botox, Metformin Hydrochloride)
I have severe dry eye, very painful at night, with gritty feeling 75% of the day. Drops such as gels, liquids, were used (Muro 128, genteal). Then switched to preservative free drops which have helped by 90%.
There is research about the injection of botox into crows feet and causing dry eye. Thi ...
- Stevens johnson syndrome- flagyl for h.pylori
(Posted by a 50 year old woman who has Stevens-johnson Syndrome, and takes Flagyl)
Diagnosed with h.pylori with positive blood work and breath-test.
Started 7 day course of Amoxycillin and Flagyl .
On day 7, developed symptoms- large red 2inch hives on legs, extreme frontal headache , pressure behind eyes, pink eye, pain in eyes, sore throat, very slight fever and body ache. L ...
More reviews for: Botox, Stevens-johnson syndrome
- A study of side effects of Sertraline for a patient with Generalised Anxiety Disorder. The patient has Erythema Multiforme (type of hypersensitivity reaction)
Comments: I'm currently 19 years old, and I've been on generic Zoloft 50 mg (AKA sertraline) since I was 13 due to anxiety attacks after the death of my sister. At first it didn't help much, but I kept with it to see if it would eventually help me. I started having bad anxiety again at 15 and was bumped up to ...
- A study of side effects of Cymbalta for a patient with Pain Management. The patient has Stevens-johnson Syndrome (an immune-complex-mediated hypersensitivity disorder. it ranges from mild skin and mucous membrane lesions to a severe)
Comments: I was prescribed Cymbalta for pain&some depression associated with pain from an auto accident..First reaction took weeks and was elusive and vague to physicians. I knew something was most definitely not right in my body..first signs were all over skin pain so much that taking a shower was extremely ...
- A study of drug interactions between Vancomycin Hydrochloride, Ceftriaxone for a patient with Inflammation Localised, Osteomyelitis. The patient has Renal Failure Acute, Acute Hepatic Failure, Eosinophilia, Acute Pulmonary Oedema, Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis, Ototoxicity, Mucosal Inflammation, Dry Eye, Vision Abnormal Nec, Mental Status Changes, Fever, Acute Myocardial Infarction, Vaginal Inflammation, Nausea, Genital Pain, Psychiatric Symptom, Lymph Node Pain, Lymphadenopathy, Pleural Effusion, Atelectasis, Rash Erythematous, Rash Generalised, Pancreatitis Due To Gallstones, Gastritis, Renal Tubular Necrosis, Tubulointerstitial Nephritis, Angioedema, Diffuse Vasculitis, Facial Swelling, Swelling, Lasix, Hypotension, Hypoxia, Red Man Syndrome, Gastrointestinal Disorder, Sloughing Of Skin, Oral Mucosal Sloughing, Vaginal Sloughing, Blood Urine Present, Rigors, Chills, Fatigue, Hypersomnia, Drowsiness, Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome, Emotional Distress, Poisoning Nos, Abdominal Pain Upper
Comments: Was misdiagnosed with lumbar osteomylitis,given PICC line home infusion 2g IV Vancomycin every 24hrs & 1g IV Ceftriaxone every 12 hrs for 3 days. On day 4 IV Vancomycin was doubled to 2g every 12 hrs.
By day 8 became nauseated, feverish, lethargic, could not stay awake during day, woke @11pm) burni ...
- A study of side effects of Botox for a patient with Cervical Dysplasia. The patient has Blood Triglycerides, Air Swallowing
Comments: While this is not an issue for me, my best friend has been getting these botox shots for around 7yrs. She has told her Dr. (a 'study' dr, paying her to have these shots) over and over the symptoms she's having, while he's telling her "it's not the botox, it's not the botox". Then she found out tha ...
More related studies for: Botox, Stevens-johnson syndrome
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
Recent mobile support groups
- Nadolol and Lisinopril
- Hair Loss and Effexor
- Osteoporosis and Symbicort
- Fibromyalgia and Post Thrombotic Syndrome
- Gastritis and Hypothyroidism
- What would be alternative for oxycontin 10 mg tablets?
Urine retention , I wake up with chronic pain in my lower ... (3 hours ago)
- What medication can i add to viibryd
Answer: You posted almost a year ago but I would suggest you ask y ... (14 hours ago)
- Can implanon cause breast cysts and could they be cancerous?
Answer: Very interesting that this pertinent question is not being ... (17 hours ago)
Recent user reviews
- Tingling feet and hands
I have used flagyl 3 times and after stopping the use of t ... (2 hours ago)
- Urea urine increased while taking topamax
I was on Topamax to lose weight. It worked for me, I lost ... (2 days ago)
- Jaw pain with avastin
My sister is currently taking Avastin and after each treat ... (2 days ago)
Recent studies on eHealthMe:
- Monistat 3 for a 38-year old woman who has Yeast Infection - Vagina (7 minutes ago)
- Namenda for a 38-year old woman who has Bipolar Disorder (31 minutes ago)
- Savella, Synthroid, Ethiodol, Percocet, Vistaril, Klonopin, Flexeril, Amitriptyline Hydrochloride for a 44-year old woman who has Fibromyoma, Post Procedural Hypothyroidism, Post Hyterecetomy, Pain, Itching, Fibromyalgia (2 hours ago)