Review: could Calcium citrate cause Diarrhea?
Summary: Diarrhea is found among people who take Calcium citrate, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for 5 - 10 years, also take medication Aspirin, and have Osteoporosis.
We study 1,253 people who have side effects while taking Calcium citrate from FDA and social media. Among them, 106 have Diarrhea. Find out below who they are, when they have Diarrhea and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Calcium citrate and have Diarrhea >>>
Calcium citrate has active ingredients of calcium. It is often used in osteopenia. (latest outcomes from 1,348 Calcium citrate users)
Diarrhea has been reported by people with high blood pressure, pain, depression, rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis. (latest reports from 139,378 Diarrhea patients)
On Mar, 30, 2015: 1,253 people reported to have side effects when taking Calcium citrate. Among them, 106 people (8.46%) have Diarrhea.
Time on Calcium citrate when people have Diarrhea * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Age of people who have Diarrhea when taking Calcium citrate * :
Severity of Diarrhea when taking Calcium citrate ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Diarrhea ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Osteoporosis (43 people, 40.57%)
- Systemic lupus erythematosus (29 people, 27.36%)
- Multiple myeloma (15 people, 14.15%)
- Thrombocytopenia (11 people, 10.38%)
- Crohn's disease (8 people, 7.55%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (47 people, 44.34%)
- Prednisone (43 people, 40.57%)
- Aredia (41 people, 38.68%)
- Protonix (36 people, 33.96%)
- Prilosec (36 people, 33.96%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of calcium citrate and diarrhea on
Do you have Diarrhea while taking Calcium Citrate?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Calcium citrate and have Diarrhea
- support group for people who take Calcium citrate
- support group for people who have Diarrhea
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Bactrim for a 35-year old woman with Infection - Ear. The patient has Diarrhea
- A study of drug interactions between Ibuprofen, Amlodipine Besylate, Nexium for a 55-year old woman with Pain, High Blood Pressure, Acid Reflux. The patient has Increased Thirst, Dry Skin, Diarrhea, Skin Rash, Hair Loss
- A study of side effects of Lisinopril And Hydrochlorothiazide for a 42-year old woman with High Blood Pressure. The patient has Diarrhea
- A study of drug interactions between Melatonin, Pepcid Ac, Aspirin, Claritin-d 24 Hour, Calcium, Fish Oil, Magnesium, Metoprolol Succinate, Advair Diskus 100/50, Concerta, Imiquimod for a 53-year old man with Sleep Disorder Due To General Medical Condition, Insomnia Type, Acid Reflux, General Physical Health Deterioration, Allergy, Constipation, High Blood Pressure, Asthma, Adhd, Plantar Warts. The patient has Blood Potassium Increased
- A study of side effects of Xeljanz for a 58-year old woman with Rheumatoid Arthritis. The patient has Knee Replacement - Total, Limb Deformity, Appetite Disorder Nos, Secondary Infections, Fatigue, Diarrhea
Recent Calcium citrate related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Allopurinol, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate for a 88-year old woman who has Hypokalemia
- Comparions of Centrum, Calcium Lactate, Amlodipine Besylate for a 38-year old man who has Hypertension
- Comparions of Methotrexate, Calcium, Folic Acid, Prednisone, Omeprazole for a 20-year old woman who has Miriam
- Comparions of Calcium, Magnesium Oxide, Imdur, Amlodipine Besylate for a 65-year old woman who has Vasospasm
- Comparions of Vitamin D, Sulfasalazine, Calcium, Levothyroxine Sodium, Tysabri for a 43-year old woman who has Multiple Sclerosis, Rheumatoid Arthritis
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.