Review: could Carafate cause Metallic taste (Taste - impaired)?
Summary: Metallic taste is found among people who take Carafate, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Xanax, and have Hepatitis c.
We study 4,354 people who have side effects while taking Carafate from FDA and social media. Among them, 32 have Metallic taste. Find out below who they are, when they have Metallic taste and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Carafate and have Metallic taste >>>
Carafate has active ingredients of sucralfate. It is often used in gastric ulcer. (latest outcomes from Carafate 4,517 users)
Metallic taste (a bad taste in the mouth) has been reported by people with insomnia, quit smoking, high blood pressure, high blood cholesterol, depression.(latest reports from Metallic taste 24,191 patients)
On Nov, 26, 2014: 4,352 people reported to have side effects when taking Carafate. Among them, 32 people (0.74%) have Metallic Taste.
Time on Carafate when people have Metallic taste * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Metallic taste||100.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Metallic taste when taking Carafate * :
|Metallic taste||78.12%||21.88% |
Age of people who have Metallic taste when taking Carafate * :
|Metallic taste||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||37.50%||21.88%||40.62% |
Severity of Metallic taste when taking Carafate ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Metallic taste||0.00%||0.00%||100.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Metallic taste ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Metallic taste||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Hepatitis c (3 people, 9.38%)
- Menopausal symptoms (2 people, 6.25%)
- Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (2 people, 6.25%)
- Glaucoma (2 people, 6.25%)
- Rectal cancer (2 people, 6.25%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Xanax (10 people, 31.25%)
- Zantac (9 people, 28.12%)
- Spiriva (7 people, 21.88%)
- Aspirin (6 people, 18.75%)
- Nexium (6 people, 18.75%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Metallic Taste while taking Carafate?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Carafate and have Metallic Taste
- support group for people who take Carafate
- support group for people who have Metallic Taste
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- I had an abortion 3 weeks ago and i'm now having the metallic taste in my mouth like i had before the abortion.
(Asked by a 40 year old woman who has Metallic Taste)
I had an abortion 3 weeks ago and thought all was okay but i've been experiencing the metallic taste in my mouth for 3 days now.
- Does loss of taste from morphine come back ?
(Asked by a 60 year old man who has Loss Of Taste, and takes Morphine Sulfate)
I was given morphine 3 months ago and have loss my ability to taste ever since.
- Does carafate interfere with benicar?
(Asked by a 58 year old woman who has Hypertension, and takes Carafate)
Benicar 20 mg. I am confused about the order in which I take these drugs due to conflicting answers from pharmacists. SInce taking carafate my bp has gone as high as 168/90 on one occasion last night. It is usually 120-125/75-80. I'm concerned that carafate may be blocking benicar even though I take ...
- Is elevated creatinine while taking pantoprazole serious?
(Asked by a 87 year old woman who has Gastric Ulcer Haemorrhage, and takes Pantoprazole Sodium, Carafate)
I noticed my Gfr test came in less than 60 and my creatinine value, usually .7 to .8 was now 1. I have been taking Pantoprazole for a month and must take it for another month since I had multiple bleeding gastric ulcers. Is this an indication of potential kidney damage?
- Metallic taste with vesicare
(Asked by a 48 year old woman who has Metallic Taste, Gastric Distress, and takes Vesicare)
I have barretts esophagus. I have been on vesicare 3 months and have a horrible metal taste in my mouth and severe gastric distress. Does any one else have this issue.
More questions for: Carafate, Metallic taste
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Celebrex and taste loss
(Posted by a 58 year old woman who has Loss Of Taste, and takes Celebrex)
Following foot surgery, I have taken Celebrex for most of the last 4 months. I can no longer taste or smell. I just started a Z pack for a sinus problem and am hoping that will clear any infection that could be contributing to this loss. I have also stopped taking Celebrex in the meantime.
- Loss of taste & recovery
(Posted by a 73 year old man who has Loss Of Taste, and takes Simvastatin)
Condition appeared upon use of Simvastatin. Mostly corrected by liberal use of MSG.
More reviews for: Carafate, Metallic taste
- A study of side effects of Voltaren for a patient with Tenosynovitis. The patient has Headache (pain in head), Nausea (feeling of having an urge to vomit), Lethargy (tiredness), Metallic Taste (a bad taste in the mouth), Lightheadedness - Dizzy (a common and often unpleasant sensation of dizziness)
Comments: Was prescribed Voltaren gel for tenosynovitis of my thumb. Helped the pain somewhat, but I woke up feeling terrible. I am sensitive to stronger oral pain medications, which is why this was prescribed in the first place, but the side effects are worse than when I have taken codeine. Felt somewhat be ...
- A study of drug interactions between Nexium Iv, Carafate for a patient with Acid Reflux, Esophagitis. The patient has Constipation, Abdominal Bloating, Abdominal Pain
Comments: The symptoms listed above are from taking the carafate only. I have been on this for a week now taking it 3 times a day an hour before a meal at the same time daily. I feel bloated, constipated and am having a very hard stool then to diarrhea and it burns, I also feel as if gas is stuck in my abdome ...
- A study of side effects of Gabapentin for a patient with Shingles. The patient has Metallic Taste (a bad taste in the mouth)
Comments: The taste is so bad that it can turn my stomach. I have been told to stay
on the drug due to having a very bad case of shingles in the ear and mouth.
Will it go away when I am off the medication
- A study of drug interactions between Carafate, Motrin, Omeprazole, Hydrochlorothiazide, Ambien, Cyclobenzaprine Hydrochloride, Klonopin, Celexa for a patient with Ulcer - Peptic, Pain, Esophagitis, Potassium - High, Insomnia, Cramps - Leg, Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Depression. The patient has Fatigue, Potassium - High, Bone - Broken, Bladder Neck Obstruction, Esophagitis, Pain, Leg Cramps, Anxiety, Depression
Comments: I had two unexplained broken bones within a one year period.
Weak urine stream with intermittent breaks.
High potassium level readings. First: 6.2 Second 5.2
When diagnosed at ER with esophagitis was also suspected to have peptic ulcers due to stress.
- A study of drug interactions between Ferrous Citrate Fe 59, Hydrocortisone, Vitamin B12, Hydrocodone Bitartrate And Acetaminophen, Fosamax, Prednisone, Mirapex, Celebrex, Wellbutrin Sr, Adderall 20, Nexium, Sucralfate, Amlodipine Besylate, Trileptal, Effexor, Vitamin D for a patient with Blood Iron Abnormal, Skin Rash, C4 Level, Flank Pain, Osteoporosis Postmenopausal, Dermatomyositis, Restless Leg Syndrome, Arthritis, Depression, Adhd, Reflux Gastritis, High Blood Pressure, Bipolar Ii Disorder, Vitamin D Toxicity. The patient has Obesity, Potassium - Low, Diarrhea, Nausea, Red Blood Cells Urine, Osteoarthritis Aggravated, Anxiety, Neck Stiffness, Increased Tendency To Bruise, Pain In Upper Right Quadrant, Adrenal Glands, Restless Legs Syndrome, Gastrointestinal Scan, Normetanephrine Urine Increased, Ferrous Ion, Muscle Enzyme Increased, Shortness Of Breath, Fatigue, Sweating - Excessive, High Blood Pressure, Headache, Flank Pain, Eczema Eyelids
Comments: I believe alot of my symptoms are related but after seeing 7 different specialists and them running many different tests I still don't have a diagnosis. Many of the tests are abnormal but nothing seems to fit completely together. My gastroenterologist is referring me to a surgeon for severe gastro ...
More related studies for: Carafate, Metallic taste
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.