Review: could Ceftriaxone cause Anaphylaxis?
Summary: Anaphylaxis is found among people who take Ceftriaxone, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Ceftriaxone sodium, and have Pneumonia.
We study 6,807 people who have side effects while taking Ceftriaxone from FDA and social media. Among them, 192 have Anaphylaxis. Find out below who they are, when they have Anaphylaxis and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Ceftriaxone and have Anaphylaxis >>>
Ceftriaxone has active ingredients of ceftriaxone sodium. It is often used in pneumonia. (latest outcomes from Ceftriaxone 6,842 users)
Anaphylaxis (serious allergic reaction that is rapid in onset and may cause death) has been reported by people with multiple sclerosis, asthma, high blood pressure, premedication, pain.(latest reports from Anaphylaxis 28,888 patients)
On Dec, 1, 2014: 6,807 people reported to have side effects when taking Ceftriaxone. Among them, 192 people (2.82%) have Anaphylaxis.
Time on Ceftriaxone when people have Anaphylaxis * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Anaphylaxis when taking Ceftriaxone * :
Age of people who have Anaphylaxis when taking Ceftriaxone * :
Severity of Anaphylaxis when taking Ceftriaxone ** :
How people recovered from Anaphylaxis ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Pneumonia (10 people, 5.21%)
- Cough (7 people, 3.65%)
- Back pain (7 people, 3.65%)
- Upper respiratory tract infection (7 people, 3.65%)
- Oropharyngeal pain (7 people, 3.65%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Ceftriaxone sodium (50 people, 26.04%)
- Sodium chloride (12 people, 6.25%)
- Propofol (9 people, 4.69%)
- Aspirin (7 people, 3.65%)
- Sodium salicylate ect (7 people, 3.65%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Anaphylaxis while taking Ceftriaxone?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Ceftriaxone and have Anaphylaxis
- support group for people who take Ceftriaxone
- support group for people who have Anaphylaxis
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Seizure after an epipen injection
(Asked by a 35 year old woman who has Anaphylactic Reaction, and takes Epipen)
I am allergic to EVERYTHING, so I usually pre-game with benadryl and wait out the uncomfortable side effects, but this time my tongue started swelling up and I was having trouble breathing so I went to an ER. About 5-7 minutes after they injected me in the thigh with an epipen, I was in mid sentence ...
- Can thyroid problems bring on anaphylaxis often?
(Asked by a 71 year old woman who has Anaphylaxis)
70 yr old previously stong female: Suspicious of thyroid problems...family history. Fatigue, skin, hair changes, slightly swollen, tender tongue at all times. In the last 6 months I've developed food related anaphalaxis. Getting serious, 3 E.R. runs in last 3 months....packing 2 epipens at all tim ...
- Extremely swollen, red kidneys barely working, liver damage and heart damage she is taking oxgen to keep level at 98, otherwise it goes down to 89. we have been in hospital for 27 hours,
(Asked by a 71 year old woman who has Anaphylactic Shock, and takes Cipro)
What are her chances of pulling out of this condition?
- After anaphylaxis from naglazyme ,how should we proceed ert?
(Asked by a 17 year old girl who has Anaphylaxis, and takes Naglazyme)
More questions for: Ceftriaxone, Anaphylaxis
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Ceftriaxone reynolds syndrome & tenditis
(Posted by a 53 year old woman who has Reynolds Sydrome , Tendonitis, Hypokalemia, and takes Ceftriaxone )
Ceftriaxone intravenous, after a week hypokalemia hospital visit waited a week went back to the CDC physician he said that drug had nothing to do with it. I am allergic to 99% of antibiotics I can only take a z-pack for two weeks and then run into allergic reactions. We started back on the Cefriaxon ...
- Happened to me- allergic reaction to rogaine
(Posted by a 40 year old woman who has Anaphylactic Reaction, and takes Rogaine)
Within the first week of usage, I began to have leg cramps, facial swelling, tightness of breath, chest pain, anxiety, and chronic headaches. Even with allergy medicines and aspirin, nothing seemed to help. At first, I felt it was though it was just simple allergies until I woke up one morning with ...
- Rocephin and levaquin drug interactions (1 response)
(Posted by a 68 year old woman who has CHF, Tendon Rupture, Central Nervous System Inflammation, Peripheral Circulatory Failure, Acid Reflux, Insomnia, Peripheral Nerve Destruction, Tinnitus, PTSD, and takes Levaquin In Dextrose 5% In Plastic Container, Rocephin, Prednisone, Aspirin, Tylenol, Megace, Ambien, Valium)
I went to ER of local hospital because I was feeling puny, low energy for a while. I was on no meds, physical active all my life, yoga practiser, no crippling. I am late deafened, can speak clearly. This is a true case of attempted murder. I refused to admit myself after waiting 8 hours - I was refu ...
- Cephalexin 500 mg caused allergic reaction (1 response)
(Posted by a 66 year old woman who has Anaphylactic Reaction, and takes Cephalexin)
I developed a rash that quickly turned to painful, itchy blistering after taking cephalexin 500mg capsules for only 2 days (the prescription was for 10 days). The rash was on my hands, legs, back, & arms. I was sent by my doctor to the hospital emergency room. diagnosed as an allergic reaction to c ...
- Anaphylactic shock from fish oil
(Posted by a 47 year old woman who has Anaphylactic Shock, and takes Fish Oil)
Yes I went into Anaphylactic shock after taking fish oil. It was just a matter of a few minutes when my hands and feet started itching and then my throat closed up. I could not breathe and 911 was called. I spent 4 nights in the hospital, the first 24 hours vomiting and loose bowels. It was the ...
More reviews for: Ceftriaxone, Anaphylaxis
- A study of side effects of Cymbalta for a patient with Depression. The patient has Anaphylactic Shock (severe and rapid and sometimes fatal hypersensitivity reaction to a substance)
Comments: Was on Cymbalta 30mg for around 3 weeks and was increased to 60mg. Three days after beginning 60mg dosage, I went into Anaphylactic Shock. First my eyes were sensitive to light and I had brain fog. The following day, I thought I was beginning to feel better and in the middle of a store, the right si ...
- A study of side effects of Ceftriaxone for a patient with Lyme Disease - Secondary Or Stage 2. The patient has Hearing Loss
Comments: 05/26/14: Having reached a plateau in discernible improvements after taking ceftriaxone IVs (2gm BID 3 days/week via port for 33 out of 38 weeks), I halted treatment two weeks ago. Still have a high degree of annoying tinnitus in both ears and a marked reduction in hearing.
- A study of side effects of Rocephin for a patient with Infection. The patient has Tinnitus (a ringing in the ears)
Comments: i have had tinnitus since late 2013 and am trying to discover it source and find a
cure or treatment. i am at a breaking point and beleive that rocephin was the culprit. what can i do
- A study of drug interactions between Clindamycin Hydrochloride, Cipro for a patient with Facial Swelling (lower Right Side, Next To Chin For An Unknown Reason Thought To Be A Blocked Salivary Gland). The patient has Itching, Itching, Abdominal Pain, Abdominal Cramps, Swollen Face, Swollen Lips, Swollen Tongue, Swollen Eyelid, Hives, Anaphylactic Shock
Comments: I went to the emergency room because I noticed that the bottom of my face was swollen on the right side next to my chin. I was not in any pain, but thought it was strange and because I had never noticed anything like that before. The doctor was not sure what was wrong with me, said he thought it was ...
- A study of side effects of Rituxan for a patient with Waldenstrom's Macroglobulinaemia. The patient has Hypotension (abnormally low blood pressure), Embolism (obstruction of an artery, typically by a clot of blood or an air bubble), Anaphylactic Shock (severe and rapid and sometimes fatal hypersensitivity reaction to a substance)
Comments: Anaphylactic shock upon first and second infusions. Crash team intervention required
Bilateral Pulmonary embolisms at 4th week of treatment
Chronic and multiple episodes of accute Hypotension started during Rituximab treatments. No hypoentention problems prior to Rituximab treatments.
More related studies for: Ceftriaxone, Anaphylaxis
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.