Review: could Celebrex cause Irritable bowel syndrome?
Summary: Irritable bowel syndrome is found among people who take Celebrex, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Vioxx, and have Osteoporosis.
We study 72,880 people who have side effects while taking Celebrex from FDA and social media. Among them, 204 have Irritable bowel syndrome. Find out below who they are, when they have Irritable bowel syndrome and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Celebrex and have Irritable bowel syndrome >>>
Celebrex has active ingredients of celecoxib. It is often used in arthritis. (latest outcomes from Celebrex 74,521 users)
Irritable bowel syndrome
Irritable bowel syndrome has been reported by people with acne, osteoporosis, depression, osteopenia, high blood pressure.(latest reports from Irritable bowel syndrome 14,865 patients)
On Dec, 17, 2014: 72,880 people reported to have side effects when taking Celebrex. Among them, 210 people (0.29%) have Irritable Bowel Syndrome.
Time on Celebrex when people have Irritable bowel syndrome * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Irritable bowel syndrome||31.25%||18.75%||12.50%||18.75%||0.00%||18.75%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Irritable bowel syndrome when taking Celebrex * :
|Irritable bowel syndrome||73.97%||26.03% |
Age of people who have Irritable bowel syndrome when taking Celebrex * :
|Irritable bowel syndrome||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||1.63%||6.52%||23.37%||14.13%||54.35% |
Severity of Irritable bowel syndrome when taking Celebrex ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Irritable bowel syndrome||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Irritable bowel syndrome ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Osteoporosis (31 people, 14.76%)
- Prostate cancer (20 people, 9.52%)
- Rheumatoid arthritis (20 people, 9.52%)
- Arthritis (19 people, 9.05%)
- Arthralgia (15 people, 7.14%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Vioxx (70 people, 33.33%)
- Zometa (61 people, 29.05%)
- Aspirin (59 people, 28.10%)
- Nexium (50 people, 23.81%)
- Cymbalta (41 people, 19.52%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Irritable Bowel Syndrome while taking Celebrex?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Celebrex and have Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- support group for people who take Celebrex
- support group for people who have Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- My mom is 88. she takes lexapro in the evening. she wakes up hallucinating. it's starting to get to her. what should i try for her?
(Asked by a 88 year old woman who has Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Atrial Fibrillation, High Blood Cholesterol, High Blood Pressure, Dementia (controlled), and takes Multivitamin, Lipitor, Claritin, Allopurinol, Diltiazem Hydrochloride, Namenda Xr, Aricept, Dicyclomine Hydrochloride, Bystolic, Lexapro)
My mom has been taking Lexapro for about 2 1/2 to 3 months. She was taking it in the morning and her therapist felt it was making her drowsy. I began giving it to her before bed, and I believe that is when she started waking up during the night with hallucinations. I'm not sure if they are vivid ...
- Is it possible to receive medical marijuana if you have spina bifida and controllable ibs?
(Asked by a 18 year old boy who has IBS, Spina Bifida )
i need help figuring out the best pain relieving drug for my conditions. please respond if any information
- How long after starting celebrex did seizure occur? how many ? what type of seizure? grand vs petit? how evaluated
(Asked by a 59 year old man who has Unresponsive To Stimuli, Tonic Muscular Activity, and takes Celebrex)
Taken 200mg for two days bid = four pills = total 800mg
- What drugs can i take for pain that won't affect my narrow angled glaucoma
(Asked by a 53 year old woman who has An Increase In Eye Pressure, and takes Celebrex)
My doctor wanted me to investigate three drugs he would suggest for my severe back pain
- What is the current treatment for larangospasm?
(Asked by a 71 year old woman who has Osteoarthritis, Hypercholesterolemia, GERD, Larangospasm With Asthmatic Component, and takes Klonopin, Xanax, Celebrex, Zyrtec, Lipitor, Fluticasone Propionate, Budesonide , Xopenex, Prevacid, Lexapro)
For two years I have been fighting with larangospasm. I have been hospitalized twice and treated with prednisone as well as nebulizers with albuterol. I had botox injections into my vocal cords last July 2013 and have a straw hanging around my neck for straw breathing. The last "attack" lasted one ...
More questions for: Celebrex, Irritable bowel syndrome
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Headache after propofol
(Posted by a 61 year old woman who has IBS, and takes Propofol)
Was given Propofol while having Colonoscopy and Endoscopy. Severe headache in evening and following day.
- Not a great experience
(Posted by a 72 year old woman who has Fibromyalgia, Hashimotos Thyroidism, Prehypertension, and takes Armour Thyroid, Celebrex, Norvasc)
I was on norvasc for two months and had to go off because of severe swelling of feet and legs. Also rapid heart beat and very profuse sweating. it was horrible. It also raised my blood pressure. after going off BP dropped by @least 10 points both diastolic and systolic.
- Atrial fib and ibs, is there a connection?
(Posted by a 89 year old woman who has Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Atrial Fibrillation, and takes Pradaxa, Multaq)
I felt wonderful, after a good night sleep and a nice breakfast. Took my heart medicine. Took off for an hour shopping and the A-Fib began with a vengeance and lasted five hours.
During the time, interestingly, I had continuous IBS. If I had not used butter (an IBS trigger) on my toast that morni ...
- Celebrex is absolutely terrible
(Posted by a 21 year old woman who has Chronic Pain, Bilateral Trochanteric Bursitis, Scoliosis, Arthritis, and takes Celebrex)
I got a three-day trial pack from my doctor on July 12. On July 13, I got my period, which lasted eight days and was extremely heavy and painful (and I usually have to switch out super-plus tampons and an overnight pad every 6-7 hours, so heavier than that is impressive). No pain relief for my hips/ ...
- How an integrative wellness approach cured me of insomnia, ibs, and more
(Posted by a 47 year old woman who has Fatigue, Sinusitis Acute, Itching, Cognitive Deterioration, Psoriasis, Anxiety, Restless Leg Syndrome, Frequent Headaches, Nasal Inflammation, Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Chronic Insomnia, and takes Levothyroxine Thyroid, Clonazepam, Ambien Cr)
For 10+ years, I suffered with insomnia and a host of other problems including intestinal distress, headaches, psoriasis, anxiety, cognitive issues, hypothyroid, chronic itching, restless leg, etc. Traditional medicine, aka taking drugs, was not working to heal me. Since childhood, I’ve had IBS, h ...
More reviews for: Celebrex, Irritable bowel syndrome
- A study of drug interactions between Doxazosin Mesylate, Celebrex, Fluoxetine, Soma, Lyrica, Morphine, Methadone Hydrochloride for a patient with Thick Ejaculate/ Thick Semen, Chronic Pain, Ptsd, Nerve Pain. The patient has Thick Ejaculate/ Thick Semen
Comments: Thick uncomfortable ejaculations. Sometimes "chunks" of semen exit my penis durning bowel movements. Ejaculations look like gobs of tiny little round, very thick balls of semen making up large chunks of ejaculate...
- A study of drug interactions between Celebrex, Advair Diskus 250/50 for a patient with Hypertension, Asthma. The patient has Air Swallowing
Comments: I have just finished several rounds of antibiotics for a bronchial infection. Still have coughing spells but only one or two a day. But now I have trouble swallowing solid food when it gets down to my esophagus. I can swallow it but it hurts a bit.
- A study of drug interactions between Celebrex, Cortisone Acetate for a patient with Osteoarthritis, Sinusitis. The patient has Cough
Comments: Cortisone shot and cough syrup with hydrocodone two weeks before cardiac arrest while exercising. No known hesrt problems and recently passed nuclesr stress test and low calcium score in h heart. Blood pressure 115 over 75
- A study of drug interactions between Vitamin D, Cymbalta, Omeprazole, Celebrex, Ropinirole Hydrochloride, Metformin Hydrochloride; Repaglinide, Losartan Potassium for a patient with Vitamin D Decreased, Arnold-chiari Malformation, Acid Reflux, Arthritis, Restlessness, Insulin Resistance, Blood Pressure Increased. The patient has Tingling Sensation Onleft Side Of Skull In Back, Around To Ear And Along Jaw Line, Always On Left Side
Comments: this sensation started as if someone was running a feather across my ear lobe, spread to back of skull and across jaw to exact center. It now itches intensely after a tingling episode. NO pain. Can be exacerbated by position of head as in lowered to read or sew, or when lying down. Thought I could l ...
- A study of drug interactions between Celebrex, Simponi for a patient with Psoriatic Arthritis. The patient has Urticaria Cold, Hives, Cold Weather And Itchy Skin
Comments: When anything cold touches my skin I get a hive in that location. Cold weather causes my skin that is exposed to get extremely red, itchy, and most of the time develop hives. All of this started after I began humira. I remained on humira for only 6 months due to its ineffectiveness. I am now on Simp ...
More related studies for: Celebrex, Irritable bowel syndrome
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.