Home > Celebrex > Stevens-johnson syndrome > Celebrex and Stevens-johnson syndrome
Review: could Celebrex cause Stevens-johnson syndrome (Erythema multiforme)?
We study 72,865 people who have side effects while taking Celebrex from FDA and social media. Among them, 522 have Stevens-johnson syndrome. Find out below who they are, when they have Stevens-johnson syndrome and more.
Get connected: join a mobile support group for people who take Celebrex and have Stevens-johnson syndrome >>>
Celebrex (latest outcomes from 74,494 users) has active ingredients of celecoxib. It is often used in arthritis.
Stevens-johnson syndrome (an immune-complex-mediated hypersensitivity disorder. it ranges from mild skin and mucous membrane lesions to a severe) (latest reports from 136,269 patients) has been reported by people with convulsion, high blood pressure, epilepsy, ill-defined disorder, bipolar disorder.
On Sep, 18, 2014: 72,853 people reported to have side effects when taking Celebrex. Among them, 522 people (0.72%) have Stevens Johnson Syndrome.
Time on Celebrex when people have Stevens johnson syndrome * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Stevens johnson syndrome||58.14%||13.18%||10.85%||7.75%||10.08%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Stevens johnson syndrome when taking Celebrex * :
|Stevens johnson syndrome||67.32%||32.68% |
Age of people who have Stevens johnson syndrome when taking Celebrex * :
|Stevens johnson syndrome||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||2.97%||5.14%||23.24%||15.95%||52.70% |
Severity of Stevens johnson syndrome when taking Celebrex ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Stevens johnson syndrome||0.00%||0.00%||50.00%||50.00% |
How people recovered from Stevens johnson syndrome ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Stevens johnson syndrome||50.00%||0.00%||50.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Ill-defined disorder (40 people, 7.66%)
- Arthritis (36 people, 6.90%)
- Osteoarthritis (31 people, 5.94%)
- Pain (31 people, 5.94%)
- Arthralgia (25 people, 4.79%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Bextra (128 people, 24.52%)
- Vioxx (55 people, 10.54%)
- Norvasc (37 people, 7.09%)
- Toprol-xl (33 people, 6.32%)
- Prednisone (32 people, 6.13%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Stevens-johnson Syndrome while taking Celebrex?
Get connected! Join a mobile support group:
- group for people who take Celebrex
- group for people who have Stevens-johnson Syndrome
Comments from related studies:
From this study (3 months ago):
I am recovering from reconstructive facial surgery and fat transfer due to the loss of subcutaneous fat loss. I am waiting for authorization to have surgery for the injury of my buttocks. I have Doctor reports confirming Celebrex is the cause for all my injuries.
From this study (2 years ago):
Most of these drugs were reported under MedWatch by me. I am sure the hospital in Atlanta was notified about red yeast rice (monascus purpureus)upon admission for rectal bleeding.
Once you have stevens johnson syndrome you never, never get over it. After 14 radiation treatments, I was burned internally and externally with the same bullous rashes over the entire pelvis.
Can you answer these questions (what is this?):
More questions for: Celebrex, Stevens-johnson syndrome
You may be interested at these reviews (what is this?):
- Celebrex is absolutely terrible
I got a three-day trial pack from my doctor on July 12. On July 13, I got my period, which lasted eight days and was extremely heavy and painful (and I usually have to switch out super-plus tampons and an overnight pad every 6-7 hours, so heavier than that is impressive). No pain relief for my hips/ ...
- Aleve and erythema multiforme
I started exercising (walking outside)and due to sore knees I started taking Aleve. Within days I developed blisters on my chest, back, face, and inside my mouth. Mouth blisters were severe enough that I could only consume liquids. After 7-10 days the blisters scabbed over. This occurred three t ...
- Who cares about the patient?
I can't believe I'm still alive but quality of life is greatly diminished and no one cares. Not one doctor cares about how this one dr. prescribed all these drugs over a period of 5 years and I lost everything. I flat-lined sept 18, 2005 and was told by dr there in er that I would live 1-5 years an ...
More reviews for: Celebrex, Stevens-johnson syndrome
On eHealthMe, Celebrex (celecoxib) is often used for arthritis. Find out below the conditions Celebrex is used for, how effective it is, and any alternative drugs that you can use to treat those same conditions.
What is Celebrex used for and how effective is it:
Other drugs that are used to treat the same conditions:
Could it be a symptom from a condition:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause it?
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.
44 million health professionals and patients have studied on eHealthMe. Recent studies:
- Sertraline, Hydrocodone Bitartrate And Acetaminophen, Lisinopril for a 68-year old man who has Depression, Pain, Blood Pressure Increased (60 seconds ago)
- Alendronate Sodium, Sertraline, Gabapentin, Metoprolol Tartrate for a 76-year old woman who has Bone Density Decreased, Depression, Fibromyalgia, A Fib (6 minutes ago)
- Ibuprofen, Tramadol, Prazosin Hydrochloride, Simvastatin, Cyclobenzaprine Hydrochloride, Nabumetone, Mirtazapine for a 36-year old man who has Inflammation Localised, Pain, Nightmares, Hyperlipidemia, Muscle Spasms, Pain - Bones, Depression (6 minutes ago)
Recent mobile support groups
- Primary Biliary Cirrhosis
- Fibromyalgia and Hyponatraemia
- Hair Loss and Gabapentin
- Arthritis - Osteoarthritis and Keppra
Recent user comments
- "Acute onset. August LFT's normal, Mirtazapine added S ... " (9 minutes ago)
- "also prescribed levothyroxine sodium but had to take ... " (58 minutes ago)
- "also prescribed synthroid but had to take self off. b ... " (60 minutes ago)
- Breast Enlargement
- Nausea And Vomiting
- Glomerulonephritis Pulmonary Hemorrhage