Celexa and Tardive dyskinesia - from FDA reports
Tardive dyskinesia is found among people who take Celexa, especially for people who are female, 60+ old , have been taking the drug for 2 - 5 years, also take medication Seroquel, and have Bipolar disorder. This review analyzes which people have Tardive dyskinesia with Celexa. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 37,736 people who have side effects when taking Celexa from FDA , and is updated regularly.
What to expect?
You are not alone!
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
On Sep, 21, 2017
37,736 people reported to have side effects when taking Celexa.
Among them, 160 people (0.42%) have Tardive dyskinesia
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Celexa when people have Tardive dyskinesia *:
- < 1 month: 7.69 %
- 1 - 6 months: 7.69 %
- 6 - 12 months: 15.38 %
- 1 - 2 years: 0.0 %
- 2 - 5 years: 61.54 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.0 %
- 10+ years: 7.69 %
Gender of people who have Tardive dyskinesia when taking Celexa *:
- female: 59.87 %
- male: 40.13 %
Age of people who have Tardive dyskinesia when taking Celexa *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.0 %
- 10-19: 0.91 %
- 20-29: 9.09 %
- 30-39: 16.36 %
- 40-49: 21.82 %
- 50-59: 22.73 %
- 60+: 29.09 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Bipolar Disorder (18 people, 11.25%)
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (15 people, 9.38%)
- Major Depression (12 people, 7.50%)
- Insomnia (11 people, 6.88%)
- Schizophrenia (10 people, 6.25%)
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Seroquel (45 people, 28.12%)
- Metoclopramide (33 people, 20.62%)
- Zyprexa (30 people, 18.75%)
- Risperdal (30 people, 18.75%)
- Klonopin (28 people, 17.50%)
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Extrapyramidal Disorder (41 people, 25.62%)
- Pain (29 people, 18.12%)
- Dyskinesia (25 people, 15.62%)
- Nervous System Disorder (21 people, 13.12%)
- Drowsiness (21 people, 13.12%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Do you have Tardive dyskinesia when taking Celexa?
- Check symptoms - is tardive dyskinesia caused by a drug or a condition?
- Get alerts to symptoms - forecast your symptoms and get alerts
- Join related support groups - you are not alone, join a support group on ehealth.me
- Report the side effect - help people in need and in real time
- Ask a question - ask a question related to the study
- write a review - share your experience related to the study
- More tools...
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsTardive dyskinesia and drugs with ingredients of citalopram hydrobromide.
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMeTardive dyskinesia and Celexa from FDA and eHealthMe reports
Celexa has active ingredients of citalopram hydrobromide. It is often used in depression. (latest outcomes from Celexa 43,497 users)
Tardive dyskinesia (a disorder that involves involuntary movements) has been reported by people with indigestion, abdominal distension, bipolar disorder, depression, schizophrenia (latest reports from 26,191 Tardive dyskinesia patients).
Browse all side effects of Celexaa b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Drugs that are associated with Tardive dyskinesiaTardive dyskinesia
Could your condition cause Tardive dyskinesiaTardive dyskinesia
What would happen?
Questions to the study
My 7 year old took Quillivant XR for the first time ever yesterday. Prior to this, he has never taken any ADHD medicines. He started moving his mouth and tongue repeatedly a few hours later until about 10-11 hours after the dose. Has anyone had this? I'm scared to try any additional medication ...
User reviews to the study
celexa may cause my weight gain and when i work out hard and eat right, not an appropriate amount of weight is shed, so when i stopped the celexa, the depression came back. what if i add topomax for weight loss? will the celexa hold on to the weight still or should i stop it again and count on ...
Hi, I've been taking celexa for more than 15 years. 7 years ago I was diagnosed with osteoporosis. I thought it was due to my mother having it. It may be due to the celexa. What have you done to help reverse your osteoporosis? Please help.