Review: could Cephalexin cause Drowsiness?
Summary: Drowsiness is found among people who take Cephalexin, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Lorazepam, and have Pain.
We study 7,322 people who have side effects while taking Cephalexin from FDA and social media. Among them, 168 have Drowsiness. Find out below who they are, when they have Drowsiness and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Cephalexin and have Drowsiness >>>
Cephalexin has active ingredients of cephalexin. It is often used in infection. (latest outcomes from Cephalexin 8,061 users)
Drowsiness has been reported by people with depression, pain, high blood pressure, multiple sclerosis, stress and anxiety.(latest reports from Drowsiness 68,687 patients)
On Dec, 13, 2014: 7,318 people reported to have side effects when taking Cephalexin. Among them, 168 people (2.30%) have Drowsiness.
Time on Cephalexin when people have Drowsiness * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Gender of people who have Drowsiness when taking Cephalexin * :
Age of people who have Drowsiness when taking Cephalexin * :
Severity of Drowsiness when taking Cephalexin ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
How people recovered from Drowsiness ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Pain (29 people, 17.26%)
- Depression (16 people, 9.52%)
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (14 people, 8.33%)
- Insomnia (12 people, 7.14%)
- Multiple myeloma (12 people, 7.14%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Lorazepam (37 people, 22.02%)
- Ativan (35 people, 20.83%)
- Ambien (34 people, 20.24%)
- Aspirin (33 people, 19.64%)
- Oxycontin (32 people, 19.05%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Drowsiness while taking Cephalexin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Cephalexin and have Drowsiness
- support group for people who take Cephalexin
- support group for people who have Drowsiness
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- What are the side effects of catuaba/golden trumpet? is it truly for man only? does it really help with physical and mental fatigue?
On going, gradual forgetfulness for over 10 years. Concentration is moderate,but memory is very poor. Day time sleepiness is always an issue. No brain tumor, no dementia,nor any other neurological dysfunctions.
- Can meclizine cause insomnia once and sleepiness the next time
I took Meclizine one night (as advised by pharmacist; she said it causes drowsiness), after experiencing my first attack of vertigo. It kept me awake almost all night. A couple weeks later, as I was getting ready for a special school event for my daughter, I thought another vertigo attack was coming on. Since the Meclizine didn't make me sleepy the first time but instead had the opposite effect, I thought it would be ok to take it (this was an evening event with a meal). After eating, I began to get very sleepy and my face almost fell in my plate.
- Can i take nyquil if i'm on cephalexin
I"ve had a sore throat for 8 days, I'm taking cephalexin for an ear infection. My question is "can I take Nyquil for my throat when I' on cephalexin?"
- Can long term use of vicodin cause hallucinations? (1 answer)
My 87 yr Mom has taken copious amts of Vicodin for 25+ yrs for arthritis & surgery pain management. Recently, Mom said the "carpet bubbles up 3-4 ft & trips her". Are hallucinations like this a sign of serious drug abuse? Is Mom's life in danger of drug overdose?
- Can fever be caused by parkinson's disease (1 answer)
I have had 2 attacks which included: Intermittent Low Grade Fever, Hand Tremor, Hand Grasping , and Feelings Of Worthlessness. I have osteopenia and chronic liver cirrhosis.
More questions for: Cephalexin, Drowsiness
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Gabapentin made me comatose
I took Neurontin, and then its generic, Neurontin, for about five years. It was prescribed for chronic pain. I found it ineffective, but kept being told it was a good drug, quite benign, and was probably benefiting me more than I realized. I did NOT realize that toward the end of the five-year period I was sinking into somnolence. On some days I simply didn't bother with the drug, because I felt it was ineffective, but on others I followed doctor's orders. Thus my condition varied depending on whether I'd actually ingested the drug. My condition came to a crisis when my husband called me from work, and found me incoherent. He took me to the ER, but I remember nothing about it. Apparently I was pleasant during admission, but clearly confused (I thought we had two presidents -- probably conflating George Bush with George W. Bush.) By the time doctors saw me, I was comatose. The physicians suspected morphine intoxication, as I was a chronic-pain patient. They didn't know what to do and thought I was dying. My husband told them the name of my pain- management doctor, who immediately diagnosed the problem. My kidneys were shutting down. He pointed to my creatines, which were off the chart. He told the other doctors to hydrate me fully, and leave me alone -- that I would be fine. I awoke about 10 hours later in intensive care. A nurse asked me if I knew where I was, and I replied I knew I was in the hospital but didn't know why. I was discharged the next morning, and had no lasting effects from the drug.
- Achilles tendon tear
At the end of my 10 day treatment time on Cephalexin 500 mg, I experience diarrhea, so I took acidophilus three times a day, and it went away. I also woke up with a Achilles ligament tear, with a bulge in the tendon, not a rupture. No changes in my daily routine, in regards to exercise, just swimming and walking.
- Profolol side effects-will not use again
It is slightly more than 24 hours since profolol alone was given to me for a colonoscopy and endoscopy. I woke up quickly but very sleepy and tired. Forced to get in wheelchair and leave asap. Slept when I got home all night. The next day was very disoriented, lightheaded when I sat up or got up and unable to walk without feeling so dizzy and unable to walk straight that I was fearful I would fall without assistance. Halo affect in front of my eyes and unable physically to do anything. Just wanted to sleep and lie down. Not depressed but my body just did not want to function and could not function when I stood up. Very scary. Hoping will be gone after 48 hours.
- Cephalexin 500 mg caused allergic reaction (1 response)
I developed a rash that quickly turned to painful, itchy blistering after taking cephalexin 500mg capsules for only 2 days (the prescription was for 10 days). The rash was on my hands, legs, back, & arms. I was sent by my doctor to the hospital emergency room. diagnosed as an allergic reaction to cephalexin. treated with steroids & another antibiotic. this was one of the scariest episodes of my life. I hope people are reporting this type of problem.
- Gemfibrozil, depression and sleepiness
I would like to hear from anyone who has had these symptoms, and how they dealt with it, by either lowering dosage or quitting the med, or other. Also would like to hear from others who continued to drink moderately and if this drug lowered their triglycerides...or those who were no longer able to stomach alcohol and had to quit....or had other reactions to gemfibrozil and alcohol use. My depression is becoming severe. I have life changes as well, so I can't figure if it is the drug. Had to take it as my triglycerides were over 900. They are now down to 250. Thanks
More reviews for: Cephalexin, Drowsiness
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- I have OCD but after I started Zonegram 50mg bd 3 days ago, I have noticed my anxiety getting increasingly worse and I had a severe panic attack yesterday. The Zonegram has also decreased the severe paranoia I feel with the ketamine but it has introduced some memory loss. Otherwise I feel the best I ...
- • Loose motions started on 11.9.1990. They were at first bulky 3 or 4 times a day. Iron tablets and other vitamins were discontinued
• Stay at the hospital was very traumatic. Diarrhea continued to get worse every day. Could eat only very soft rice and boiled vegetables I could not breathe. Cou ...
- I have had to use a foley indwelling catheter for nearly 35 years and NEVER have I had a problem with it spontaneously leaking around it practically overnight. One day I was fine like all the days and weeks and years prior... then the next day I began to leak around the catheter and it has continue ...
- Only started taking Prochlorperazine Maleate within the last month & have been experiencing severe Drowsiness which has been impacting my ability to work (Office) effectively. Suffering disorientation & vision issues (focussing).
I have a Doctors apppointment arranged for this Friday to discuss.
- Within an hour of taking Norco (10/325), I literally pass out. I cannot keep my eyes open. Unless I force myself to run around (cleaning house, doing errands, etc), I will fall asleep. This symptom only started this week. I have been taking Norco for 9 weeks now, off and on and it never had this aff ...
More related studies for: Cephalexin, Drowsiness
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.