Review: could Cephalexin cause Weight gain (Weight increased)?
Summary: Weight gain is found among people who take Cephalexin, especially for people who are female, 40-49 old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Ambien, and have Depression.
We study 7,322 people who have side effects while taking Cephalexin from FDA and social media. Among them, 230 have Weight gain. Find out below who they are, when they have Weight gain and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Cephalexin and have Weight gain >>>
Cephalexin has active ingredients of cephalexin. It is often used in infection. (latest outcomes from Cephalexin 8,061 users)
Weight gain has been reported by people with depression, high blood pressure, bipolar disorder, pain, high blood cholesterol.(latest reports from Weight gain 75,856 patients)
On Nov, 25, 2014: 7,318 people reported to have side effects when taking Cephalexin. Among them, 230 people (3.14%) have Weight Gain.
Time on Cephalexin when people have Weight gain * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Weight gain||66.67%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||33.33%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Weight gain when taking Cephalexin * :
|Weight gain||66.22%||33.78% |
Age of people who have Weight gain when taking Cephalexin * :
|Weight gain||0.00%||1.08%||3.23%||4.30%||13.44%||36.56%||16.67%||24.73% |
Severity of Weight gain when taking Cephalexin ** :
How people recovered from Weight gain ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Depression (39 people, 16.96%)
- Pain (30 people, 13.04%)
- Sleep disorder (22 people, 9.57%)
- Fibromyalgia (13 people, 5.65%)
- Muscle spasms (12 people, 5.22%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Ambien (83 people, 36.09%)
- Prilosec (76 people, 33.04%)
- Aspirin (68 people, 29.57%)
- Ibuprofen (62 people, 26.96%)
- Albuterol (56 people, 24.35%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Weight Gain while taking Cephalexin?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Cephalexin and have Weight Gain
- support group for people who take Cephalexin
- support group for people who have Weight Gain
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Are an increase in appetite & tiredness side effects of the birth control tri-sprintec?
In the past I have taken the birth control Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo and have never had any problems. I just switched to the generic brand, Tri-sprintec. I have now officially been taking Tri-Sprintec for 2 months. I recently started to notice that my appetite has increased and I've been eating A LOT more than normal; I have definitely started to gain weight. I also have been a lot more tired than usual.
- Bisoprolol ,ive gained 56 pounds
i had a triple by pass,and was prescribed bisoprolol.since taking it i have gained 4 stones in weight ,ive tried diets ,exercise nothing takes the weight off ,should i stop the tablets.
- Do the side effects of prolia either stop or lessen over the 6 month period between injections?
I am wondering if the side effects of Prolia go away or lessen during the six months it is taken for.
- Can i take nyquil if i'm on cephalexin
I"ve had a sore throat for 8 days, I'm taking cephalexin for an ear infection. My question is "can I take Nyquil for my throat when I' on cephalexin?"
- Mucous in stools rolling std jab
Hi there, I was recently diagnosed with Balanitis, a small white ulcer has appeared on my foreskin caused by the trauma of the condition.
I went to the ER for the problem, worrying that it maybe and std, the nurse and doctor there told me to keep the ulcer clean and to keep strong soaps away from it, but to be safe they gave me the std shot along with 4 tablets to take. The next morning and ever since, I have been experiencing bad nausea and what started with comstipation, has now turned into dhiarea, when I pass a stool which has some sort of solidity to it, it is coated in mucous. Alongside this. Every time I have food sitting in my stomach, I feel very sick to the stomach.
Just wondering if this is a side effect of the drug, or if I have some kind of candida which is reacting with the drugs?? I had the jab on Wednesday and felt Ill first thing in the morning the next day. This is the third day of the illness, but seems less extreme throughout the day.
Sorry for the graphic nature of this post, just wondering if anyone had any answers before I spent another small fortune at the doctors!
More questions for: Cephalexin, Weight gain
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Lyrica varied widely
I was prescribed Lyrica for treatment of chronic pain. It was ineffective, but it knocked out the symptoms of interstitial. However, it also caused rapid weight gain (I went from 110 to 130 lbs. in just a few weeks) and my ankles started to swell. The pain doctor advised me to discontinue the drug, but the urologist suggested lowering the dose. I did, and the swelling went down. I weighed myself daily and watched what I ate, and my weight returned to normal within a month. Subsequently, I continued taking the lower dose and had no further problems. Then I developed severe spinal stenosis, and my dosage of Lyrica was increased to six 75 capsules daily, in addition to 480 mg of morphine sulphate. I tolerated the Lyrica well. After surgery, however, my ankles began to swell again, and although I didn't have a problem with weight gain, I developed a bright red rash from ankles to knees. I dropped the dosage of Lyrica to 50 mg twice daily, and had no further side effects. The rash simply disappeared, with no damage to the skin. Following the surgery, I was able to titrate off morphine completely. I continue to take Lyrica twice daily. It doesn't seem to affect pain (I still ache a bit, as I have degenerative changes in all joints) but it does dampen peripheral neuropathy, which I experience both in my toes and balls of my feet. It also dampens the neuropathy in my forehead, where I had four surgeries to remove a malignant melanoma. I have had no side effects other than those mentioned, and find it interesting the I could tolerate a high dosage of Lyrica prior to surgery, but after surgery could not, and that adverse side effects varied not only with the dosage but with my own physical condition. I don't find it to be highly effective in treating neuropathy, but it does still the tingling enough to let me sleep and take my mind off the condition.
- Achilles tendon tear
At the end of my 10 day treatment time on Cephalexin 500 mg, I experience diarrhea, so I took acidophilus three times a day, and it went away. I also woke up with a Achilles ligament tear, with a bulge in the tendon, not a rupture. No changes in my daily routine, in regards to exercise, just swimming and walking.
- Crestor side effects (1 response)
I'm a vegetarian all my life , very athletic, I work out a lot , I run. In the last year or two My cholesterol seems to go high, my primary Doctor knows that I go for the healthy stuff so he advice a couple of things. But unfortunately nothing woks so he put me on Crestor, it has been a really bad experience, my menstrual periods don't come normal anymore, or sometimes it takes two or three months to come back again. I have hot flashes day or night, and the last one is that I'm gaining weight. I'm not sure what to do, any pill will give you side effects, I never read side effects. I'm 100% percent this is not coincides is real an is happening to me.
- Depo provera overdose
Dr acidentially gave me something like 9 times the normal dose of depo provera. My life has been miserable! I have fought excessive weight gain, infertility, severe cellulite, and acne for 20 years.
- Stopping pristiq for my memory
I have been on Pristiq for 3 years. My short term memory loss is a great concern to me. I am 45 and I have questioned my doctor and given my concerns to the point she referred me to a neurologist but said it was not the Pristiq. There is no other drugs I am taking or have taken to cause this problem. No head injury. It is hard to come off this medication because if the dizziness you experience. Find another way to combat depression with your doctors help.
More reviews for: Cephalexin, Weight gain
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- I have Lupus and Fibromyalgia and I had surgery on my intestine. 5 1/2 inches were taken removed from my rectum because of a polyp that was flat against the wall of my intestine. My joints and muscles are really sore and because I was given prednisone for years my bones are very bad. I get a shot of ...
- • Loose motions started on 11.9.1990. They were at first bulky 3 or 4 times a day. Iron tablets and other vitamins were discontinued
• Stay at the hospital was very traumatic. Diarrhea continued to get worse every day. Could eat only very soft rice and boiled vegetables I could not breathe. Cou ...
- The lesions on face are like zits but not acne. They swell and pulsate and ooze throughout the day and have hard white or yellow waxy pits in them when popped. They respond to calamine lotion somewhat but have not gone away in 6 months, always occurring in the same place. From ear to ear under the j ...
- Within 3 to 4 months of starting ABILIFY, I gained about 40 pounds. As for the akathisia (feeling of restlessness or shaking on the inside), it wasn't bad until my dose got to 15mg. Eventually it went away and I still take 15mg/day. (haven't been able to lose much weight though. Side effects with ...
- I take 20 milligrams of Abilify with 20 mg. of celexa at night with Alprazolam throughout the day and at night to help me sleep. Since taking abilify over the past 10 years I have gained weight that I can't lose, I am always buying lottery tickets, and want to go to gamble obsessively. I also have c ...
More related studies for: Cephalexin, Weight gain
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.