Review: could Chantix cause Autoimmune disorder?
Summary: Autoimmune disorder is found among people who take Chantix, especially for people who are female, 50-59 old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Prinzide, and have Smoking cessation therapy.
We study 63,191 people who have side effects while taking Chantix from FDA and social media. Among them, 10 have Autoimmune disorder. Find out below who they are, when they have Autoimmune disorder and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Chantix and have Autoimmune disorder >>>
Chantix has active ingredients of varenicline tartrate. It is often used in quit smoking. (latest outcomes from Chantix 64,427 users)
Autoimmune disorder (a condition in which the immune system attacks the body's normal substances and tissue) has been reported by people with acne, hepatitis c, osteoporosis, rheumatoid arthritis, multiple sclerosis.(latest reports from Autoimmune disorder 2,769 patients)
On Nov, 25, 2014: 63,184 people reported to have side effects when taking Chantix. Among them, 10 people (0.02%) have Autoimmune Disorder.
Time on Chantix when people have Autoimmune disorder * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Autoimmune disorder||60.00%||40.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Autoimmune disorder when taking Chantix * :
|Autoimmune disorder||63.64%||36.36% |
Age of people who have Autoimmune disorder when taking Chantix * :
|Autoimmune disorder||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||0.00%||33.33%||66.67%||0.00% |
Severity of Autoimmune disorder when taking Chantix ** :
How people recovered from Autoimmune disorder ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Smoking cessation therapy (4 people, 40.00%)
- Psoriasis (1 people, 10.00%)
- Rash (1 people, 10.00%)
- Alcohol use (1 people, 10.00%)
- Thyroid disorder (1 people, 10.00%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Prinzide (1 people, 10.00%)
- Analgesics ongoing (1 people, 10.00%)
- Miralax (1 people, 10.00%)
- Xanax (1 people, 10.00%)
- Prevacid (1 people, 10.00%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
Comments for this study:
Joyce McDaniel (2 years ago):
I took Chantix for apprx 3 mos. Had an episode of high blood pressure 220/180 - never had blood pressure problems and do not have after stopping Chantix. A few months later I was diagnosed with Giant Cell Arteritis or Temperol Arteritis.(enlarged blood cells in the arteries between my scalp and skull. At that time I was a 67 yr. old female. Was wondering if anyone has had that problem after taking Chantix.
Reply the comment
meh (3 years ago):
This is anecdotal and not confirmed by a doctor's diagnosis, but within a month of starting Chantix, the entire character of my digestion changed to a state of violent indigestion. Think the streets of Paris during the French Revolution violence. My relatively mild RLS was exacerbated to the point where my entire body was affected for 2-3 hours every night, I was unable to lay still. I've been off Chantix for nearly 4 months now; the RLS has settled down to its previous level, but I am now unable to consume anything that has gluten in it without severe distress. I hate you, Pfizer.
Reply the comment
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Autoimmune Disorder while taking Chantix?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Chantix and have Autoimmune Disorder
- support group for people who take Chantix
- support group for people who have Autoimmune Disorder
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
- Is it my thyroid or am i mentally ill? diagnosed w/ hashimoto's thyroiditis but untreated - chronic pain unmanaged also (2 answers)
(Asked by a 54 year old woman who has Spondylosis, Autoimmune Disorder, Asthma Late Onset, Migraine, Degenerative Joint Disease, Lumbar Spinal Stenosis, Facet Joint Syndrome, Sacroiliitis, Diverticulosis, PTSD, IBS, Traumatic Brain Injury, Pelvic Congestion, Fibromyalgia, Interstitial Cystitis (IC), Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, and takes Albuterol Sulfate, Trazodone Hydrochloride, Maxalt, Oxycodone And Acetaminophen, Oxycontin, Alvesco, Levothyroxine Thyroid)
I moved to OR from HI and brought all my records, signed releases, and had many diagnoses, all but the thyroid, was being treated and long-term. I also took Oxycontin & Oxycodone for severe chronic pain from bilateral SI joint fusion (right screw protrudes & leg also becomes numb and weak with acti ...
- Did chantix cause hearing loss for you? (1 answer)
(Asked by a 55 year old woman who has Hearling Loss, and takes Chantix)
After taking Chantix for about 5 weeks, I experienced a loud ringing in my right ear and suddenly lost about 50% hearing in that ear. The ringing and hearing loss did not go away. It has been two weeks since it started. The Chantix warning mentions hearing loss at the very end of "Other" side eff ...
- Has anyone developed episcleritis or extreme blood shot eye
(Asked by a 34 year old woman who has Nodular Episcleritis, and takes Chantix)
I have been taking chantiix for 15 weeks and one of my eyes are extremely blood shot eye doctor says its episcleritis being going on for 12weeks and terrible headaches
- Does methotrexate cause hot flashes
(Asked by a 52 year old woman who has Autoimmune Disorder, and takes Methotrexate, Synthroid, Estradiol)
I feel I am 200 degrees at times. I already take estradiol patches for hot flashes for 5 years and they work really well! but since I started on methotrexate [6 months ago] I started getting hot flashes again!
- Restless legs syndrome with chantix
(Asked by a 67 year old woman who has Copd, Osteopenia, and takes Chantix, Advair Diskus 250/50, Calcium Citrate)
just began chantix and have jerking in my legs at night when i lay down to sleep
More questions for: Chantix, Autoimmune disorder
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Cfs/fibro, migraine
(Posted by a 49 year old woman who has GI Disorders, Cognitive Deterioration, Migraine With Aura, Neck Pain, Fibromyalgia, CFS, and takes Chantix, Probiotics, Milk Thistle, Black Cohosh, B Complex Vitamin, Vitamin E, Vitamin D, Omega 3, Xanax, Topamax, Ambien, Armour Thyroid, Ms Contin, Fentanyl-25)
A strange thing happened when I started taking the Chantix for my smoking cessation...
MY MIGRAINES AND TENSION HEADACHES WENT AWAY!!!
As horrible as they were, and as bad as I have prayed for them to go away, I did not even notice that I didn't have the excruciating headaches anymore!!
I stop ...
- Really works to quit smoking
(Posted by a 51 year old woman who takes Chantix)
Works great for quitting smoking! The first few weeks you dream in technicolor just like an anti depressant but then that goes away. The only side effect I had was constipation but it was a small price to pay for quitting after 37 years a smoker! I tried hypnotism, patches, etc. but this really work ...
More reviews for: Chantix, Autoimmune disorder
- A study of drug interactions between Clonazepam, Percocet, Chantix for a patient with Anxiety, Apprehension, Feeling Uptight, Jitters, Stress, Stress And Anxiety, Tension, Back Injury, Stop Smoking. The patient has Sweating Increased
Comments: I was on Chantix for the "allotted" time through the Air Force. It was not long enough so I stopped taking it (sweating stopped) After about 3 months, I was able to get Chantix through the mail from the military and as soon as I reached a stable blood level (I'm assuming it was because of the level ...
- A study of side effects of Chantix for a patient with Stop Smoking. The patient has Coughing Up Blood
Comments: I was administered an immunization D tap shot, along with prescription for chantix on the same visit. Starting chantix the next day. This was a Wednesday by Monday I became very ill with a severe dry hacking cough. Pressure in my eyes, felt tired, tried antibiotics and no relief. Day 10 of chantix, ...
- A study of drug interactions between Ibuprofen, Krill Oil, Cymbalta, Effexor, Folic Acid, Methotrexate for a patient with Pain - Back, High Blood Cholesterol, Chronic Pain, Stress And Anxiety, Psoriasis. The patient has Body Temperature, Headache - Mixed Tension Migraine, Muscle Cramps, Blood Cholesterol, Muscle Pain, Vision Problems, Exhaustion, Weight Bearing Difficulty, Depression, Skin - Dry, Weight Gain - Unintentional, Fatigue - Chronic, Stress And Anxiety, Autoimmune Disorder
Comments: Took synthroid after birth of daugther, 12 years ago. Eventually came off synthroid while takine kelp and selenium. Joint aches and pains, especially knees and elbows. TSH 4.22, which has doubled since starting methotrexate.
- A study of drug interactions between Lyrica, Mobic, Vitamin D, Potassium Chloride, Diovan Hct, Xanax, Lexapro, Vicodin, Zanaflex, Chantix for a patient with Fibromyalgia, Inflammatory Pain, Iga Deficiency, Hypertension, Anxiety, Apprehension, Feeling Uptight, Jitters, Stress, Stress And Anxiety, Tension, Depression, Arthritis - Osteoarthritis, Stop Smoking. The patient has Ance Like Lesions On Face, Chest, Shoulders, Arms, And Legs
Comments: I am trying to figure out if this "acne" I have all over my face & body is actually acne or something else. It started about a month after I began taking Chantix and I was wondering if that drug could be responsible. At the beginning, I had a sty on the inside lower lid,of my eye, and within 3-4 day ...
- A study of drug interactions between Alprazolam, Chantix for a patient with Anxiety, Tobacco Withdrawal Symptoms. The patient has Disturbance In Sexual Arousal
Comments: Dream symptom began 2 weeks into taking chantix. I stopped taking it after 2 weeks due to such upsetting dreams. This "side effect" (Dhhh) returned suddenly after two years. I was horrified and finally consulted doctor who said 'yes' this return of symptom is possible. 14 months prior to the 'dream' ...
More related studies for: Chantix, Autoimmune disorder
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.