Review: could Chantix cause Suicide attempt?
Summary: Suicide attempt is found among people who take Chantix, especially for people who are female, 40-49 old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Xanax, and have Smoking cessation therapy.
We study 63,191 people who have side effects while taking Chantix from FDA and social media. Among them, 3,415 have Suicide attempt. Find out below who they are, when they have Suicide attempt and more.
You are not alone: join a mobile support group for people who take Chantix and have Suicide attempt >>>
Chantix has active ingredients of varenicline tartrate. It is often used in quit smoking. (latest outcomes from Chantix 64,427 users)
Suicide attempt has been reported by people with depression, quit smoking, stress and anxiety, pain, bipolar disorder.(latest reports from Suicide attempt 32,124 patients)
On Nov, 30, 2014: 63,191 people reported to have side effects when taking Chantix. Among them, 3,415 people (5.40%) have Suicide Attempt.
Time on Chantix when people have Suicide attempt * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Suicide attempt||23.85%||55.14%||10.38%||8.23%||2.35%||0.05%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Suicide attempt when taking Chantix * :
|Suicide attempt||59.40%||40.60% |
Age of people who have Suicide attempt when taking Chantix * :
|Suicide attempt||0.00%||0.00%||0.95%||12.42%||21.80%||37.32%||22.14%||5.37% |
Severity of Suicide attempt when taking Chantix ** :
How people recovered from Suicide attempt ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Smoking cessation therapy (2,481 people, 72.65%)
- Depression (530 people, 15.52%)
- Anxiety (439 people, 12.86%)
- Pain (324 people, 9.49%)
- Hypertension (181 people, 5.30%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Xanax (181 people, 5.30%)
- Hydrocodone (134 people, 3.92%)
- Albuterol (118 people, 3.46%)
- Seroquel (111 people, 3.25%)
- Klonopin (109 people, 3.19%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Suicide Attempt while taking Chantix?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group:
- support group for people who take Chantix and have Suicide Attempt
- support group for people who take Chantix
- support group for people who have Suicide Attempt
Recent conversations of related support groups:
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Can you answer these questions (Ask a question):
More questions for: Chantix, Suicide attempt
You may be interested at these reviews (Write a review):
- Wellbutrin buproprion two suicide attempts
Started taking Buproprion and almost immediately had suicide ideation but didn't connect it to the med. Did not want to be here anymore and one week later tried to OD but woke up in the morning. Two weeks later wrote a suicide note to my therapist and again tried to OD. She called the police and they picked me up and took me to the emergency room. Both times I tried to OD on Alcohol and the Buproprion. The first time I took it and just went to bed. The second time I don't remember the note or getting into my car with no shoes and no purse and police pulled me over for the suicidal note to my therapist. They took me to the hospital along with me getting a DUI which I was barely over the alcohol limit.
- Cfs/fibro, migraine
A strange thing happened when I started taking the Chantix for my smoking cessation...
MY MIGRAINES AND TENSION HEADACHES WENT AWAY!!!
As horrible as they were, and as bad as I have prayed for them to go away, I did not even notice that I didn't have the excruciating headaches anymore!!
I stopped taking the chantix and the headaches gradually came back but it took me awhile to make this correlation. Once I did, I started taking the chantix again. it started working immediately... taking the migraines and neck pain away again! Now, I can take 1/2 of a pill every other day and that seems to keep the migraines away! There are side effects and I don't know if it would work for everyone but it sure worked for me!
- Really works to quit smoking
Works great for quitting smoking! The first few weeks you dream in technicolor just like an anti depressant but then that goes away. The only side effect I had was constipation but it was a small price to pay for quitting after 37 years a smoker! I tried hypnotism, patches, etc. but this really worked. I've been smoke free for 9 months now.
More reviews for: Chantix, Suicide attempt
Comments from related drug studies (Check your drugs):
- I was on Chantix for the "allotted" time through the Air Force. It was not long enough so I stopped taking it (sweating stopped) After about 3 months, I was able to get Chantix through the mail from the military and as soon as I reached a stable blood level (I'm assuming it was because of the level ...
- I was administered an immunization D tap shot, along with prescription for chantix on the same visit. Starting chantix the next day. This was a Wednesday by Monday I became very ill with a severe dry hacking cough. Pressure in my eyes, felt tired, tried antibiotics and no relief. Day 10 of chantix, ...
- I am trying to figure out if this "acne" I have all over my face & body is actually acne or something else. It started about a month after I began taking Chantix and I was wondering if that drug could be responsible. At the beginning, I had a sty on the inside lower lid,of my eye, and within 3-4 day ...
- Was prescribed gabapentin 7 yr ago for left fibula fracture and foot dislocation. Severe foot nerve pain.both ankles have been swelling for years.was told by Dr's it was chronic edema from injury. But never explained why in both ankles? ? In last month my feet and calves have became severely red lik ...
- Dream symptom began 2 weeks into taking chantix. I stopped taking it after 2 weeks due to such upsetting dreams. This "side effect" (Dhhh) returned suddenly after two years. I was horrified and finally consulted doctor who said 'yes' this return of symptom is possible. 14 months prior to the 'dream' ...
More related studies for: Chantix, Suicide attempt
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.