Review: could Chantix cause Suicide attempt?
Summary: Suicide attempt is found among people who take Chantix, especially for people who are female, 40-49 old, have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Xanax, and have Quit smoking.
We study 63,206 people who have side effects while taking Chantix from FDA and social media. Among them, 3,415 have Suicide attempt. Find out below who they are, when they have Suicide attempt and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Chantix and have Suicide attempt >>>
Chantix has active ingredients of varenicline tartrate. It is often used in quit smoking. (latest outcomes from 64,443 Chantix users)
Suicide attempt has been reported by people with depression, quit smoking, stress and anxiety, pain, bipolar disorder. (latest reports from 32,157 Suicide attempt patients)
On Mar, 11, 2015: 63,206 people reported to have side effects when taking Chantix. Among them, 3,415 people (5.40%) have Suicide Attempt.
Time on Chantix when people have Suicide attempt * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Suicide attempt||23.85%||55.14%||10.38%||8.23%||2.35%||0.05%||0.00% |
Gender of people who have Suicide attempt when taking Chantix * :
|Suicide attempt||59.40%||40.60% |
Age of people who have Suicide attempt when taking Chantix * :
|Suicide attempt||0.00%||0.00%||0.95%||12.42%||21.80%||37.32%||22.14%||5.37% |
Severity of Suicide attempt when taking Chantix ** :
How people recovered from Suicide attempt ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Smoking cessation therapy (2,481 people, 72.65%)
- Depression (530 people, 15.52%)
- Anxiety (439 people, 12.86%)
- Pain (324 people, 9.49%)
- Hypertension (181 people, 5.30%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Xanax (181 people, 5.30%)
- Hydrocodone (134 people, 3.92%)
- Albuterol (118 people, 3.46%)
- Seroquel (111 people, 3.25%)
- Klonopin (109 people, 3.19%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of chantix and suicide attempt on
Do you have Suicide Attempt while taking Chantix?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Chantix and have Suicide Attempt
- support group for people who take Chantix
- support group for people who have Suicide Attempt
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
Recent Chantix related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Chantix, Buspar, Celexa for a 37-year old woman who has Anxiety, Apprehension, Feeling Uptight, Jitters, Stress, Stress And Anxiety, Tension
- Comparions of Loestrin Fe 1/20, Chantix for a 35-year old woman who has Prescriptions - How To Fill
- Comparions of Gabapentin, Baclofen, Bupropion Hydrochloride, Fentanyl, Chantix for a 53-year old woman who has Quit Smoking
- Comparions of Chantix, Effexor Xr for a 52-year old woman who has Depression
- Comparions of Bupropion Hydrochloride, Chantix, Wellbutrin Sr for a 26-year old man who has Smoking And Smokeless Tobacco
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.