Chantix and Suicide attempt - from FDA reports
Suicide attempt is found among people who take Chantix, especially for people who are female, 40-49 old , have been taking the drug for 1 - 6 months, also take medication Xanax, and have Depression. This review analyzes which people have Suicide attempt with Chantix. It is created by eHealthMe based on reports of 75,614 people who have side effects when taking Chantix from FDA , and is updated regularly.
What to expect?
You are not alone!
Personalized health information
On eHealthMe you can find out what patients like me (same gender, age) reported their drugs and conditions on FDA since 1977. Our tools are simple to use, anonymous and free. Start now >>>
On Oct, 23, 2017
75,614 people reported to have side effects when taking Chantix.
Among them, 3,585 people (4.74%) have Suicide attempt
Number of reports submitted per year:
Time on Chantix when people have Suicide attempt *:
- < 1 month: 23.71 %
- 1 - 6 months: 54.74 %
- 6 - 12 months: 10.24 %
- 1 - 2 years: 8.57 %
- 2 - 5 years: 2.69 %
- 5 - 10 years: 0.05 %
- 10+ years: 0.0 %
Gender of people who have Suicide attempt when taking Chantix *:
- female: 59.33 %
- male: 40.67 %
Age of people who have Suicide attempt when taking Chantix *:
- 0-1: 0.0 %
- 2-9: 0.0 %
- 10-19: 1.09 %
- 20-29: 12.59 %
- 30-39: 22.38 %
- 40-49: 36.06 %
- 50-59: 22.04 %
- 60+: 5.84 %
Top conditions involved for these people *:
- Depression (442 people, 12.33%)
- Stress And Anxiety (395 people, 11.02%)
- Pain (244 people, 6.81%)
- High Blood Pressure (152 people, 4.24%)
- Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (130 people, 3.63%)
Top co-used drugs for these people *:
- Xanax (168 people, 4.69%)
- Albuterol (100 people, 2.79%)
- Seroquel (95 people, 2.65%)
- Klonopin (95 people, 2.65%)
- Ambien (87 people, 2.43%)
Top other side effects for these people *:
- Depression (2,477 people, 69.09%)
- Stress And Anxiety (1,750 people, 48.81%)
- Intentional Overdose (1,307 people, 36.46%)
- Aggression (955 people, 26.64%)
- Mental Disorder (687 people, 19.16%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Subscribe to the study: get notified of updates to the study.
Do you have Suicide attempt when taking Chantix?
- Check symptoms - is suicide attempt caused by a drug or a condition?
- Get alerts to symptoms - forecast your symptoms and get alerts
- Join related support groups - you are not alone, join a support group on ehealth.me
- Report the side effect - help people in need and in real time
- Ask a question - ask a question related to the study
- write a review - share your experience related to the study
- More tools...
Expand the study to include all drugs with the same ingredientsSuicide attempt and drugs with ingredients of varenicline tartrate.
Expand the study to include reports from both FDA and eHealthMeSuicide attempt and Chantix from FDA and eHealthMe reports
Chantix has active ingredients of varenicline tartrate. It is often used in quit smoking. (latest outcomes from Chantix 77,605 users)
Suicide attempt has been reported by people with depression, quit smoking, suicide attempt, stress and anxiety, bipolar disorder (latest reports from 45,408 Suicide attempt patients).
Browse all side effects of Chantixa b c d e f g h i j k l m n o p q r s t u v w x y z
Drugs that are associated with Suicide attemptSuicide attempt
Could your condition cause Suicide attemptSuicide attempt
What would happen?
Questions to the study
On day 12 of chantix and dreams are more than I can take. Not monsters or ghosts, but my worst fears coming to life losing a child or my husband or parents etc in horrid ways. Dreams so real I wake up bawling and screaming. I remember every detail for days and it put me in a depressed fog. ...
User reviews to the study
I have been on Topomax for 50 days and this past week has been hell. I have fought the urge to kill myself, planned, and looked at the clock every 15 minutes to congratulate myself for still being alive. I have a daughter and she is the only reason I have not done it. But upon waking this ...
Hi everyone, I used chantix to quit smoking and make myself healthy, however I got shingles and have been so sick and in pain ever since. I just don't understand , had I known this was a possible side effect of chantix, I would not have taken this drug.