Review: could Cipro cause Stroke?
Summary: Stroke is found among people who take Cipro, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Aspirin, and have Osteoporosis.
We study 5,471 people who have side effects while taking Cipro from FDA and social media. Among them, 112 have Stroke. Find out below who they are, when they have Stroke and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Cipro and have Stroke >>>
Cipro has active ingredients of ciprofloxacin hydrochloride. It is often used in urinary tract infection. (latest outcomes from 6,868 Cipro users)
Stroke (sudden death of a portion of the brain cells due to a lack of oxygen) has been reported by people with diabetes, arthritis, high blood pressure, pain, multiple sclerosis. (latest reports from 93,279 Stroke patients)
On Mar, 29, 2015: 5,469 people reported to have side effects when taking Cipro. Among them, 112 people (2.05%) have Stroke.
Time on Cipro when people have Stroke * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
Age of people who have Stroke when taking Cipro * :
Severity of Stroke when taking Cipro ** :
How people recovered from Stroke ** :
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Osteoporosis (18 people, 16.07%)
- Bone density decreased (17 people, 15.18%)
- Anaemia (15 people, 13.39%)
- Multiple myeloma (10 people, 8.93%)
- Asthma (9 people, 8.04%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Aspirin (61 people, 54.46%)
- Lasix (48 people, 42.86%)
- Prilosec (45 people, 40.18%)
- Levaquin (39 people, 34.82%)
- Zometa (38 people, 33.93%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
Comments for this study:
Andy (5 months ago):
My wife was given ciprofloxacin to prevent infection during a knee replacement. She seemed strange to me but the nurses thought it might be the anesthetic. They kept treating her when she went to a nursing home for rehabilitation. She got much worse having hallucinations. Eventually I realized what the cause was (the nursing home thought she had a UTI) and had them stop treating her. After she was released for some time she would fall over getting into bed. It was only much later (years) that I sought treatment for what I thought was attention deficit. The neurologist ordered a cat scan and noticed many mini strokes .
Reply the comment
Pat (3 years ago):
I am 67 yrs.,was on Cipro for 5days-had a transient cerabral ischemia (they called it a mini stroke or a TIA. Went to ER-was talking "gibberish" and had trouble walking normal.Thank the Good Lord I am ok now but the DR. wants me on Aggrenox. I can't help think that Cipro might have had something to do with this.
Reply the comment
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Get connected: join our support group of cipro and stroke on
Do you have Stroke while taking Cipro?
You are not alone! Join a support group on :
- support group for people who take Cipro and have Stroke
- support group for people who take Cipro
- support group for people who have Stroke
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of side effects of Celebrex for a 64-year old man with Arthritis - Osteoarthritis. The patient has Stroke
- A study of drug interactions between Cipro, Lisinopril, Flomax for a 56-year old man with Prostatitis, Hbp, Bph. The patient has Pain - Testicle(s)
- A study of drug interactions between Tizanidine Hydrochloride, Cipro for a 65-year old man with Muscle Rigidity, Uti.
- A study of side effects of Cipro for a 45-year old woman with Urinary Tract Disorder. The patient has Flank Pain
- A study of drug interactions between Clonazepam, Prednisone, Zomig-zmt, Methadone Hydrochloride, Oxycodone, Vitamin D, Vancomycin Hydrochloride, Cipro for a 56-year old woman with Sleep Disorder Due To A General Medical Condition, Atopic Eczema, Migraine Without Aura, Fibromyalgia, C. Difficile, Bladder Infection. The patient has Fibromyalgia, Migraine Without Aura, Acute Bladder Infection, C. Difficile Colitis, Pain - Bones
Recent Cipro related drug comparison:
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.