Review: could Citalopram hydrobromide cause Tardive dyskinesia?
Summary: Tardive dyskinesia is found among people who take Citalopram hydrobromide, especially for people who are female, 60+ old, have been taking the drug for < 1 month, also take medication Metoclopramide, and have Depression.
We study 23,305 people who have side effects while taking Citalopram hydrobromide from FDA and social media. Among them, 76 have Tardive dyskinesia. Find out below who they are, when they have Tardive dyskinesia and more.
You are not alone: join a support group for people who take Citalopram hydrobromide and have Tardive dyskinesia >>>
Citalopram hydrobromide has active ingredients of citalopram hydrobromide. It is often used in depression. (latest outcomes from 24,930 Citalopram hydrobromide users)
Tardive dyskinesia (a disorder that involves involuntary movements) has been reported by people with indigestion, abdominal distension, bipolar disorder, depression, gastrointestinal disorder. (latest reports from 23,259 Tardive dyskinesia patients)
On Mar, 1, 2015: 23,292 people reported to have side effects when taking Citalopram hydrobromide. Among them, 76 people (0.33%) have Tardive Dyskinesia.
Time on Citalopram hydrobromide when people have Tardive dyskinesia * :
|< 1 month||1 - 6 months||6 - 12 months||1 - 2 years||2 - 5 years||5 - 10 years||10+ years |
|Tardive dyskinesia||60.00%||0.00%||10.00%||0.00%||20.00%||0.00%||10.00% |
Age of people who have Tardive dyskinesia when taking Citalopram hydrobromide * :
|Tardive dyskinesia||3.45%||0.00%||0.00%||17.24%||6.90%||24.14%||6.90%||41.38% |
Severity of Tardive dyskinesia when taking Citalopram hydrobromide ** :
|least||moderate||severe||most severe |
|Tardive dyskinesia||0.00%||100.00%||0.00%||0.00% |
How people recovered from Tardive dyskinesia ** :
|while on the drug||after off the drug||not yet |
|Tardive dyskinesia||0.00%||0.00%||100.00% |
Top conditions involved for these people * :
- Depression (29 people, 38.16%)
- Gastrooesophageal reflux disease (5 people, 6.58%)
- Bipolar disorder (5 people, 6.58%)
- Schizophrenia (4 people, 5.26%)
- Major depression (3 people, 3.95%)
Top co-used drugs for these people * :
- Metoclopramide (22 people, 28.95%)
- Albuterol (13 people, 17.11%)
- Lisinopril (13 people, 17.11%)
- Aspirin (12 people, 15.79%)
- Clonazepam (11 people, 14.47%)
* Approximation only. Some reports may have incomplete information.
** Reports from social media are used.
How to use the study: print a copy of the study and bring it to your health teams to ensure drug risks and benefits are fully discussed and understood.
Do you have Tardive Dyskinesia while taking Citalopram Hydrobromide?
You are not alone! Join a mobile support group on :
- support group for people who take Citalopram hydrobromide and have Tardive Dyskinesia
- support group for people who take Citalopram hydrobromide
- support group for people who have Tardive Dyskinesia
Drugs in real world that are associated with:
Could your condition cause:
- A study of drug interactions between Promethazine Hydrochloride And Codeine Phosphate, Pravachol, Protonix, Cozaar, Celexa, Coreg, Symbicort, Amitriptyline Hydrochloride, Albuterol Sulfate for a 71-year old woman with Cough, Hypercholesterolemia, Gerd, Cardiac Disorder, Depression, Dyspnea. The patient has Pancytopenia
- A study of drug interactions between Naproxen Sodium And Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride, Celexa for a 42-year old woman with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Anxiety. The patient has Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, Anxiety And Stress
- A study of side effects of Viibryd for a 36-year old woman with Depression. The patient has Sexual Dysfunction (difficulty experienced by an individual or a couple during any stage of a normal sexual activity), Abnormal Weight Gain, Tardive Dyskinesia (a disorder that involves involuntary movements), Anxiety And Stress
- A study of drug interactions between Celexa, Clonazepam, Valproic Acid for a 33-year old man with Bipolar Disorder, Panic Disorder. The patient has Impaired Memory, Memory Impairment, Disturbance In Attention, Cognitive Deterioration
- A study of drug interactions between Penicillin, Clonazepam, Alesse, Citalopram Hydrobromide for a 26-year old woman with Pericoronitis, Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Birth Control, Major Depression. The patient has Swollen Lymph Nodes, Fever, Swallowing Difficulty, Pericoronitis, Swelling Face
Recent Citalopram hydrobromide related drug comparison:
- Comparions of Rabeprazole, Citalopram Hydrobromide for a 61-year old woman who has Generalised Anxiety Disorder
- Comparions of Buspar, Celexa, Mirtazapine for a 45-year old woman who has OCD
- Comparions of Wellbutrin, Lamictal, Celexa for a 41-year old woman who has Anxiety
- Comparions of Metformin, Klonopin, Celexa, Clozapine for a 55-year old woman who has Anxiety
- Comparions of Chantix, Buspar, Celexa for a 37-year old woman who has Anxiety, Apprehension, Feeling Uptight, Jitters, Stress, Stress And Anxiety, Tension
NOTE: The study is based on active ingredients and brand name. Other drugs that have the same active ingredients (e.g. generic drugs) are NOT considered.
WARNING: Please DO NOT STOP MEDICATIONS without first consulting a physician since doing so could be hazardous to your health.
DISCLAIMER: All material available on eHealthMe.com is for informational purposes only, and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment provided by a qualified healthcare provider. All information is observation-only, and has not been supported by scientific studies or clinical trials unless otherwise stated. Different individuals may respond to medication in different ways. Every effort has been made to ensure that all information is accurate, up-to-date, and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. The use of the eHealthMe site and its content is at your own risk.
You may report adverse side effects to the FDA at http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/ or 1-800-FDA-1088 (1-800-332-1088).
If you use this eHealthMe study on publication, please acknowledge it with a citation: study title, URL, accessed date.